Can I use 1password with Scotiabank in Canada

Frank Shefman
Frank Shefman
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

I was actually investigating Trusteer as the bank has been nagging me to put it on my computer. I've heard it has caused issues and wanted to check if it was something I must do. While checking the Terms of service I found the following list of obligations that I must do or else the bank WILL NOT reimburse me incase of fraudulent access to the account. It also means I can't use Mint.ca anymore as far as I can tell. Here's the passage:

• Protect your Scotia OnLine Password.
    Your Scotia OnLine password is confidential and must never be shared with any outside person or company, including:
    • Account aggregation services that consolidate and display all of your financial information in one place.
    • Software that records your password so that you don't need to enter it the next time you access a website.
    • Services that collect your card number and password, or any other confidential information, to perform transactions on your behalf or to collect payment from you.
    • Any other agreements you may make or services you accept which include your consent to having your Internet activity monitored.

I love the software but it looks like I can't take the chance to use it. Has AgileBits any comment on this? Have they talked to Scotiabank or any of the banks for that mater

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi Frank,

Thanks for asking about this.

You can avoid using 1Password with Scotiabank and any other sites with similar Terms of Service that you're concerned with, but certainly still use it elsewhere. That's the short, simple answer for the moment. I'm still looking into more specific details.

About Trusteer and its possible issues, you may have already seen this long-running thread on Apple's forum:

Trusteer's Rapport Software | Apple Support Communities

Here's what Craig Hockenberry wrote about it (now nearly five years ago):

furbo.org · Un-Trusteer-ed

IBM has since acquired it, in September 2013.

I don't have experience using that software and would prefer not to given the choice. For OS X on Macs, it's been referred to as "snake oil".

This discussion has been closed.