"Version-jumping" questions regarding multiple vaults and master log-ins

gorham
gorham
Community Member

Oy.

I'm using (or trying to) 1Password on my PC (quite happy with how it's going there), my Kindle (it's actually running okay there too as long as one accepts that GooglePlay isn't very happy with Kindle), my new Android phone (not at all happy there).

So most of this has to do with 1pwAndroid. I'd like to have fewer passwords there. If I set up multiple vaults on my PC, can I choose which I use with the android? I have no idea yet how to actually set up multiple vaults on the PC but I'm researching it; not asking about that here.

Assuming I get the data I want onto the droid, can I/will I have been able to set up a different password for each vault? I'm having the devil's own time getting my oh so wonderful but oh so long password successfully entered on the phone.

I'm not at all sure which discussion to put this in but I'll start with 1pwAndroid and see what happens.

Thanks oh so much for any help.

-G.

Comments

• Hi @gorham! You can create a new .agilekeychain (data file) on 1Password 4 for Windows and copy over the items you want in your new vault. When you set up 1Password for Android, you can select the .agilekeychain you want to sync with. Just as a note, 1Password 4 for Android does not support multiple vaults yet, you can only sync with a single vault at a time.

However, I think having to manage two separate vaults may not be the best practise in my opinion. We have a couple of options within Settings > Sync that will minimize the number of times you need to enter your master password. I would recommend checking them out first:

• PIN Code: The PIN Code allows you to create a short numerical passcode (ideally 4 digits) to unlock your vault. With this feature enabled, every time you return back to 1Password from the background, you will only be required to enter your PIN code to access your data. So now when you switch between applications and return back to 1Password, you just need to enter your numeric passcode instead of your master password.

• Lock on Exit: This will keep your vault unlocked when you switch between applications on your device. There’s no need to enter a PIN Code or a master password when you return.

• Automatically Lock: In how many minutes do you want 1Password to lock itself due to inactivity on the device?

If you would still like to continue with creating a separate vault, please let me know. I can provide you with the instructions to create a new data file on Windows and connect it to your Android device. :)

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Hi. I didn't want to leave this hanging. Your suggestions are good ones and I'll likely make use of them. If I keep 1pw on my mobile devices. The problem is the Kindle (Fire HDx). I don't want to revert to reader but Google Play is so crippled on the Fire that I don't have access to the ability to pay from there. I suspect it would be no problem from the phone; it seems to come with full access to Google Play. But I need password management more on the Kindle and would prefer to have the same manager across my devices.

What I'm trying to find now is a functional password manager that would work on both the Kindle and my smartphone, and that would accept the delimited export from my 1Password for Windows. It's proving a daunting task but I'll keep at it.

So we shall see. Meanwhile, thanks much for the help.

-G.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@‌gorham
    You said that Google Play is crippled in that you can't pay from the Kindle Fire. Can you login to your Google account and load already purchased apps?
    If so then can you simply purchase something from your phone, which you said works fine, and then login on the Kindle to install the app?

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

I haven't purchased anything on the phone yet. 1pw was the only thing I wanted actually. I'll think on it and probably give it a try. I'll get back to you. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

-G.

• Thanks for the update @gorham. Sorry for the trouble you're running into on your Kindle. Like I mentioned in the other thread, if we are to support Kindle, it will be through a separate release. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.