What you should NOT store in a password manger

x2ky3KRw0mgny
x2ky3KRw0mgny
Community Member

I like probably most of you use a password manager to store a lot of different things. But after storing all this information it got me wondering what sort of personal/secure information would you NOT store in a password manager?

For me the only things I can think of are:

• Password for main email account that controls everything else
  • Picture of Social Security card or passport
  • 2 factor auth backup keys
  • DNA code :)

I would be really interested in knowing what a lot of you 1password employees wouldn't store.

Thanks!

Comments

• x2ky3KRw0mgny
    x2ky3KRw0mgny
    Community Member

Update:

• Bitcoin keys
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It would be a little more interesting if you explained why you wouldn't store those things in a password manager. ;)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I personally would store all of those things in 1Password. Well, all of those things that I actually have. But I'm not an employee, so my practices may not satisfy the question. I too would be interested in learning why one shouldn't store those things in 1Password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I store all of those (except DNA) in 1Password because there is nowhere more secure (and convenient).

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

As khad said, I would store those items in 1Password, with a knowledge that I might need to get to them without an access to 1Password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It is important to not only have backups for your data but backups for your brain as well. :)

You can access the data in the backups at any time using the 1Password app on a different computer or in any modern browser via 1PasswordAnywhere. No software installation required. Of course, if you're syncing with your mobile device, you can access your data there as well.

This discussion has been closed.