[FYI] 1Password works with Synology Cloudstation

Options

Hi,

for those who do not like to entrust their passwords a public cloud. Here's a tip!

I have two windows machines, one iphone and one ipad. I use 1Password over a half year to manage my passwords for all my devices. I do not like dropbox or onedrive but i have a Synology NAS with cloudsation.

I have put the vault in my cloudstation Folder and what can I say? It is not officially supported but it works ;)
My passwords are synchronized without error between my Windows computers.

For iPhone and iPad i use WiFI Sync

Hope this helps someone

sorry for my bad English
best regards from germany

Comments

• MarcusC
    MarcusC
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have to add, that even is possible to sync it between mac, android and windows. The Sync is done by the Synology Cloudstation.
    I'm using it since Android Beta and it works great.

Greetings from Germany too. ;)
    Marcus

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@Sunshine:

I have put the vault in my cloudstation Folder and what can I say? It is not officially supported but it works My passwords are synchronized without error between my Windows computers.

It actually is supported. You can store your data folder in any regular folders on your computer, including ones that are syncing to your NAS.

The difference is that we don’t support network shares, those are virtual folders that are stored on the servers but not on the local drive.

Here’s how you can tell: if you disconnect the network, can you still use the folders? If yes, it’s supported, and if not, we don’t support it. The sudden disconnection is what hurts the files when it is being written/read by 1Password, not where it is stored.

@MarcusC‌:

The Sync is done by the Synology Cloudstation. I'm using it since Android Beta and it works great.

That’s awesome to hear. How are you using it on Android? You move the files from Synology app onto the SD card for 1Password to read?

• Sunshine
    Sunshine
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Mike,

thanks for the clarification.

best Regards

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member
    Options

Great ! I'm not always confortable with Dropbox, it's good to know I can do it with CloudStation :-) I'm gona try.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    Options

Out of interest, @Grishkaone‌, what makes you uncomfortable about Dropbox? I've always found it to be great - a "fit and forget" solution to syncing, much like OneDrive (I use both, but only Dropbox for my 1P vault). I don't care if Dropbox personnel can look at my files because there is nothing embarrassing or confidential on there, and (in my opinion) there's no way they'll be able to crack my vault due to the password length and the power of 1P's encryption.

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @Thack‌ ! I realise my message is not quite accurate.
    I love Dropbox (beside the capacity probleme, 2 Go only ?). Truly. And I also love OneDrive.

In a Mac and PC mixed environment, it's important for me to use platform-agnostic software, like 1Password, and Dropbox (Well, OneDrive also works that way).

But If the service seems to be really secure, I'm also very attached to the idea of controlling my own data. That's why I use a NAS, and, by the way, it's working great with 1password (cross platform on Mac, Windows, Android).

I do use Hubic as a giant backup, wich is a great french cloud service. It has less functionality than Dropbox, but a big 25 Go storage for free, completely free from the american laws (which I do not like) (It also has a great API, if anyone at Agilebits would care about it :-) ).

Whatever could be the data, I do not like the idea that they can be accessed by other persons than me. That's also why I use 1Password in the first place : private data are, private.

Let's say it, it's also a bit geeky to use my NAS for this. And as I'm a technical support in IT hardware, I love that ;-)

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    Options

@‌Sunshine: I, also, have a Synology NAS, and am keen to try out your solution. I've never tried to use Cloudstation on it. Was the process relatively straightforward to set up? Do you need to register a domain with mydns, or something?

@Grishkaone‌: you say you are now using a NAS solution - is it Synology + Cloudstation, or something else? If Cloudstation, how was it for you (so to speak).

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member
    Options

@Thack: Yes, I'm using Synology Cloudstation, on 2 Mac, 3 PCs and 3 Android devices. It's really easy to setup, since it work basically like Dropbox. Synology allow some fine tune concerning user management.

You juste need to create a shared folder, and sync it on every account you want. Right now, our vault is used by two different user. Until now, there is no problem at all. Of course, I rely on the 1Password backup if someting goes wrong, and Dropbox is never to far away.

Oh, and the NAS is also great for 1Password Anywhere.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

How do you deal with Android? Are you relying on a rooted device to allow a manual copy from the Synology folder to 1Password?

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

I'm curious as well, I've asked MacrusC in my first post here and I didn't hear back from him yet.

My guess is you guys are using the DS cloud for Android app and have it set up to sync the 1Password folder to the external SD card?

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne @MikeT‌ Yes, I rely on DS Cloud on Android, and Cloudstation on computers. Both sync one particular folder in my NAS, which contain my 1Password data. The folder in my android devices is awlays up to date. Since it's a regular folder, I don't need do grant a particular access right to 1Password : when I launch the app, it sync itself with the folder.

PS : my folder is in the phone, since I donc not have any SD Card.
    PS2 : like Dropbox, versioning is used, in case of...
    PS3 : I could only wonder how this could work on iOS.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't realise that 1P Android had folder sync.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @RichardPayne,

That's the benefit of Android allowing access to a file system. :P

I forgot the folder sync doesn't need the SD card, so it does use the file system directly.

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there !

After a few month, it's time for a little feedback :smile:

Basically, almost everything is working just fine.

But...
    I'm stuck with two issues.
    First, my phone is now on Cyanogen. Which is not a problem for 1Password, but quite one for DS Cloud (which is draining cpu power and battery fast).
    Second, perhaps more problematic, I'm noticing more and more *conflict.1password files in my vault. Obviously a sync problem, and I dont how to deal with.

The only solution seems to come back to the Dropbox system. What do you think ?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Dropbox is still the only all-platform sync option supported.

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Of course, but the experience was interesting.

Also, now that I'm back on Dropbox, is there anything to do about all the *conflict.1password files in my vault ?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If all my Logins and other saved items were present and accurate, I'd ignore the conflict files in my own vault.

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member
    Options

So say we all, I'll ignore them ! Thanks ;-)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As I understand it, Dropbox creates those files on the rare occasions it can't tell which version of a given file to use, and 1Password (at least for Mac) uses them to finish the sync, storing any possible conflicts for an affected item into a custom section within that item. If you saw that custom section, you could double-check it to make sure 1Password had made the right choices; when you were sure the right values were in the right fields for that item, you could delete its Conflicts custom section, as well.

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member
    Options

Oki doki. Seems to be a pretty safe feature. I'll take time to clean that up. Thanks for the explanation :smile:

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We're always glad to help, @Grishkaone‌.

Again, if it were me, I'd just leave them all—files and sections alike—as they are.

This discussion has been closed.