Up Your 1Password-fu With Keyboard Shortcuts [resolved issue with Gmail Login items by editing URLs]

Options
GlennMcQ
GlennMcQ
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

Hi all, and thank you to Megan O'Brien for posting these tips!

Can anyone help me figure out why the Command-\ shortcut isn't working for my Gmail page? I have two Gmail addresses (completely different, not just versions of the same account), and even when I go to log in with my primary Gmail account, if I use the Command-\ shortcut, 1Password autofills my other account info and logs me in to that one.

Thanks!

Glenn

Using Safari 7.0.5

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Glenn ( @GlennMcQ ),

I'm sure @Megan‌ will be happily pleased when she sees your thanks for her posting the keyboard shortcut tips! :)

When you open the Gmail sign in page and press Command-\, are you able to select from multiple Gmail/Google items? Or is filling (and auto-submit, if enabled) happening immediately with data from the wrong item?

Presuming there are multiple items, do any have the display option set to Never display in browser? Maybe 1Password mini isn't offering the preferred item:

My Account > Login items are not showing up in 1Password mini

Also check website fields for the items to make sure they're correct.

Thanks in advance for additional information to help better understand how and why Command-\ for Gmail is misbehaving for you.

• GlennMcQ
    GlennMcQ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, sjk. I've just finished checking on the things you mentioned. I found part of the problem.

Initially, I set my Google log in in 1Password in one entry under logins. In that entry, I included both accounts and both sets of information and passwords. I think if I had left it at that, I'd be ok (but I'm not certain of that). But at some point I must have created a separate entry in logins titled "Alternate Google Account", with the info and password for my less used, alternate account. I can only surmise that 1Password was pulling the autofill for Command-\ from that entry because it was listed first alphabetically (A for Alternate vs. G for Google).

I deleted that alternate entry, tried Command-\ and got logged in properly to my Gmail.

My question now is this. How can I use Command-\ to log into that alternate Gmail account? Because now that Command-\ only logs me into my main account, even when I pull up the separate log in screen for my alternate account.

It doesn't give me the option to do one or the other. No multiple offerings show up.

Thanks so much. And if nothing else, you all have my highest regard and respect for this amazing piece of mind you created called 1Password!

Glenn

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @GlennMcQ‌

Thanks for that followup information (and for your kind words earlier - I'm so glad you found that tips post helpful!)

Initially, I set my Google log in in 1Password in one entry under logins. In that entry, I included both accounts and both sets of information and passwords.

Unfortunately, Logins can only do their magical filling with one set of data. Even if you store the information from multiple accounts, 1Password can only use those top two fields to fill. If you have multiple Google accounts, you'll need to create separate entries for each account.

Now, it sounds to me like you might have slightly different URLs stored within each entry. When you visit a site and use ⌘\ (Command-\), 1Password will match the URL that you are on with the URLs you have stored in 1Password. If there are multiple Logins with the same URL, 1Password will open the Mini to allow you to select the one you want to use. If only one Login matches the URL that you are viewing, then 1Password will fill the appropriate Login when you press ⌘\. Could you check to see what URL you have saved for each Google account? I use https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• GlennMcQ
    GlennMcQ
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I was traveling and wanted to get back to my desktop computer and check the things you mentioned. You were right on the money with what you were thinking. I did have URLs set up within the same 1Password Login entry and had to separate the two different entries for my two Gmail accounts within 1Password.

Once the different Gmail accounts were separated, I "re-did" the URLs for each of them in the 1Password Logins. Both now work fine. The Mini opens up to allow me to choose which one I want.

So I'm up and running fine with this now. Thank you for helping with this!

And again, thanks for the great piece on 1Password-fu, and ALL of the great things you all are doing. I've been a very vocal mouthpiece for 1Password and couldn't recommend it more enthusiastically!

• I'm glad to hear that helped. On behalf of Megan, you're welcome!

Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GlennMcQ,

So, it did turn out to be URLs in website fields of your Gmail Login items causing the issue. Sorry for not making this clearer in my original reply:

Also check website fields for the items to make sure they're correct.

Thanks to @Megan‌ for filling in the details you needed. :)

Since this issue is nicely sorted out now I'll close this topic. If anything else comes up please don't hesitate to start a new topic or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.