Vanguard - 2 users - 2 steps

t3hite
t3hite
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

I'm a new 1Password user...I just downloaded the trial version–1Password 4 Version 4.4.1 (441008)–last night. Like many others I had a bit of trouble setting up my Logins on pages (mostly banks and financial companies) where you enter the Username on p1 and Password on p2.

My problem is further compounded by the fact that I need to keep track of two logins at several sites. One for myself and one for mom.

I've scanned the FAQ and Forums and seen several comments about how to create Logins for 2-step sites: Vanguard, BOA, etc. I noticed the following:

1. Creating a new login only works when you use the "Save New Login" command after entering you Username on the page.
  2. Vanguard's code for their homepage seems to be inconsistent in the way it names the Username element. Different Logins created from the https://investor.vanguard.com/home/ page named the Username field variously: USER, LoginForm or LoginForm:USER. All seem to work fine as long as you created the Login item after entering you Username on the site.

I can get a single Login to work fine but as soon as I create a second login (i.e. for mother) the problem comes up that the Username will fill in property but the Password is take from the first Login item create for the site (in this case mine). If I delete my Login item then mom's works fine. If I add a new Login for myself then it seems to be filling my Username but the Password from mom's Login item. When I delete mom's Login item them mine again works fine.

I can't imagine that this is anything other than a bug in 1Password.

PS Running Mavericks 10.9.4 on a MacBook Pro Late 2013.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I'd say you have two options.

1. Set up a secondary vault for your mum's passwords and when creating the login entries for her ensure you are switched to that vault in the extension prior to starting the steps for saving the 2 step login sites. Entries in one vault are not visible when in another.
    2. Set up the first login and then edit both entries so that Submit when enabled (the default) in the submit field is set to Never submit. Hopefully when creating the second set of entries this will stop the first from interfering while keeping the entry visible from within the extension.

I'm more confident about the first option because I know it works for single entry sites, I'm not sure sure about the second suggestion as I don't have any 2-step login sites myself. If altering the submit field doesn't work you could try altering the display field as that also restricts access to an entry from the extension. This one I'm not so sure about as eventually you'd probably want to set it back to displaying and interference may return when you do.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @t3hite‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble managing multiple banking sites. It can get a bit tricky, particularly with the sites that have a multiple page log in process.

Could you please describe the steps that you are taking here in a bit more detail? Please include all the mundane details like what you click, what you expect to happen, and what actually happens. This will allow us to attempt to re-create the situation on our end.

If you have two separate entries for a site, when you ask 1Password to fill, it will pop up and allow you to select which entry is to be filled. 1Password will only fill without prompting you to select an item if only one Login matches the URL you are visiting. When you do have multiple Logins for one site, having a unique naming scheme is very important. (ex: 'Vanguard, mine' and 'Vanguard, mums')

1. Creating a new login only works when you use the "Save New Login" command after entering you Username on the page.

Correct. :) Saving a new Login manually like this allows 1Password to learn which data belongs in which field. So it is important that you do have your username filled in before saving the information.

If I can better understand the steps you are taking when 1Password seems to fill in the incorrect password, we'll have a better idea of how to get this straightened out.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

For anyone having issues with Vanguard logins, please refer to the Knowledgebase article:

Creating a Vanguard Login

This discussion has been closed.