Thanksgiving Giveaway

You can only give-away licenses of products you own
Hi,

I'm re-posting my complaint here because I still haven't received a reply from support regarding the Thanksgiving offer:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the gifts, it's a nice marketing move but a little bit misleading in my opinion. At first I thought I was eligible for the free give away copy until I saw this was for current version 3 of 1password users ( I am/was a ver 2 Mac user). So, I decided to upgrade to version 3 and get the free 1P giveaway. But now that I have upgraded, I can't give away a free copy because the only copy I can give away is only Mac (Windows version is grayed out)!!

I upgraded for the sole intention to give a free copy to my father who is a Windows user and I always talked to him about how great 1P is and that a Windows version was on the way.

So I think the newsletter was kind of misleading because it said nowhere about certain rules regarding win/mac platforms. Is there a chance to fix this? Or exchange licenses between platforms?

I hope someone can help and explain to me what can be done.

Thanks,
Ezequiel

Comments

• stu wrote:

Hi Ezequiel,

First of all, I'm sorry we haven't been able to get back to you sooner via e-mail, as I'm sure you can understand we've seen a massive increase in the number of e-mails and support requests we receive on a daily basis right now. If you haven't already had a response from one of the team please be patient, we've got a lot of e-mail to get through.

I'm sorry for any confusion here, Dave did say in his e-mail that 'All current owners of 1Password or Knox may give away a free license!' and clearly this had led to some confusion. You can only give-away a copy of a product you own already, hence why 1Password 2 owners can't give-away 1Password 3 and why 1Password for Mac owners can't give-away a copy of 1Password for Windows, and vice-versa. They are separate products after all.

We think this is the fairest way to do things, otherwise people will abuse Dave's generosity and start giving themselves copies of the applications they don't own. We're certainly not trying to mislead anyone, and the offer is open to anyone who purchases a license during the celebrations, so if you bought 1Password for Windows today you'd be able to give-away a copy today.

Hope that makes sense,

Hi Stu,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, what you say makes sense. And it would have made a lot more sense if it was said more clearly in the newsletter offer. I still don't see the "abuse" in giving away a mac or win copy of the same product, in my humble opinion. It's an opportunity to get more clients on the win platform in a couple of days.

Anyway, next time write rules or a disclaimer regarding offers. I guess I'll have to find a mac friend for the giveaway.

Regards,
    E.
  • SaSaSushi
    SaSaSushi
    Community Member
    edited November 2010
    echerni wrote:
    I still don't see the "abuse" in giving away a mac or win copy of the same product, in my humble opinion.

1Password for Windows and Mac are separate products. When I first saw the text of the giveaway mail I must admit I was sort of hoping I could give myself a copy of 1Password for Windows :lol: . However, I certainly understand that the point of this promotion is to allow licensed users to give away a free copy of apps they've already purchased, which in my case is 1Password for Mac and Knox.

So far as I know, 1Password for Windows is still half priced at $19.95 while it's in beta. It's a great deal and I'll be getting my copy soon.
This discussion has been closed.