Secure Notes - Formatting Text

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

Would it be possible for some basic formatting of secure notes to be enabled in the 1P application? ... even something as basic as bold, underline, italic, font size, and perhaps bullet and numbered lists would be helpful.

Obviously one could create the notes in a separate application outside 1P and copy a PDF or whatever file into 1P.... but this doesn't seem a real secure way of dealing with data that I want to keep secure... better to enter it directly into 1P leaving no trace elsewhere.

Appreciate that this has been requested before, such as here (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/75937) and I have raised it a few times over the years in emails with Agile folk. and have each time been told it will be considered.

But maybe there is only a handful of people interested in such a feature?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Just a comment...

Obviously one could create the notes in a separate application outside 1P and copy a PDF or whatever file into 1P.... but this doesn't seem a real secure way of dealing with data that I want to keep secure... better to enter it directly into 1P leaving no trace elsewhere.

You know that you can attach a file in 1P4 and delete the original, don't you? 1P4 will keep your attachment secure and there's no need to keep another copy. I should mention two caveats, however:

1. Wifi sync doesn't currently sync attachments to iOS devices.
    2. There is currently a 1P4 enforced 5MB limit on attachment size for sync via Dropbox or iCloud.

Stephen

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, aware of that Stephen_C....thanks mate....but I want to avoid the possibility of leaving traces of data and would like to avoid the cumbersome steps involved using a separate app to create and edit the secure note and just stick with the trusted 1P as sole holder of this sort of data.

Also, for me, most secure note data relates to logins (config details; IP address details; username etc that cut/paste into pop up dialog boxes; recovery keys and the like) so that data, and traditional 1P data, sort of belong conveniently together.

Else wise, one could just use Knox (or similar), FileVault, an encrypted sparse bundle...or for synced access, a software encryptor capable of single file cloud sync (such as Boxcrypter) or just keep using 1P plain text only Secure Notes.... lots of ways to proceed without...

.....But that wasn't really what I was hoping Agile will respond with this time.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @toasted,

Thanks so much for letting us know you're interested in a few more options in Secure Notes. You're certainly not the only one who wants a few more options in this category. Unfortunately, we are a small team with limited resources, so there's often not enough hours in the day to implement all of the features we'd like to. We are listening to all your feedback though, and I've added your thoughts to the existing improvement request in our issue tracker.

ref: OPM-1578

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that's all one could ask.

Thanks for the great software.

• You're welcome! :)

• Olympian
    Olympian
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,

As a new user of 1Password, could I add my support to this request for some simple text formatting in Secure Notes? I am surprised that unformatted text-only notes still exist anywhere in this day and age but I guess that this is an issue of scope. You designed 1Password it as a vault for passwords where security is paramount over everything else. However, I am coming from Info Select which has been my go-to database for passwords and miscellaneous stuff for 10 years. I didn't use any of that program's infinite complexity but simply used is as a random semi-secure notebook for passwords and stuff I needed quick access to on a daily basis. But it hasn't kept up with the mobile revolution - hence a move to 1Password.

Given that 1Password will now be shared and used across my family's desktops and mobiles everyday for passwords, it makes sense to me to use the Secure Notes feature as my new random notebook. Perhaps that's not what you had in mind, but it can fulfill that function very well. But having to go back to capital letters to emphasise things is like going back to the 1980's!

Just some simple text formatting and the ability to add URLs would be great.

Many thanks.

• SeanFoster
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @Olympian‌,

Thanks for joining the 1Password family, we're very happy to have you. :smiley:

You're right, some additional text format options would make a lot of sense in Secure Notes. I'll put your vote in our Feature Request hat.

Sean

• thecornerweb
    thecornerweb
    Community Member
    Options

Love 1P! Add me as a +1 for formatting in secure notes. Thanks!

• Thanks for chiming in, everyone. :smile:

One idea we've been considering is adding Markdown support so that while editing it's still plain text, but when viewing the item it'd get some formatting. Keeping secure notes text as plain text has advantages when it comes to sync and conflict resolution. Merging rich text... doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Would Markdown satisfy your needs?

Rick

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

My need is very simple - a decent monospaced font to bring order to unruly lists. In my mind this is the "crawl" requirement before the "walk" requirement of Markdown support. This is unchanged in the 2+ years I (and others) have been asking for it! :-)

And allow me to express my skepticism that the average 1Password user has ever heard of Markdown much less have any desire to use it. So it may be useful to your technically literate users, but I don't see it as generally useful.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ings,

Thank you for your feedback about text formatting in Secure Notes! It will of course be difficult to please everyone, but our developers are definitely looking into adding formatting options. I don't know what those options will be or when they'll be available, but I can certainly add your comments to the feature request. Thanks again!

• mitchkramez
    mitchkramez
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for some markdown or text formatting for secure notes!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @mitchkramez! We appreciate the feedback. :)

ref: OPM-1099

This discussion has been closed.