security question handling difference between 1Password 3 and 1Password 4

Options
akialoa
akialoa
Community Member

I just upgraded from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4.

My multi-page login on a banking site cease to work; specifically the 2nd page which posits one of 3 security questions. The entries for these questions still existed in my vault but 1Password 4 just seemed to fill a blank string instead of the actual answer.

So I did the usual thing and resaved the details by using Save new Login for that page. That works, 1Password 4 now correctly fills the answer.

Looking at the new entries versus the old entries shows that in each new entry the answer to the security question is now being stored in the Username field. In the old version both Username and Password fields were blank and the security question answers are hidden down in the Web form details section.

1Password 3 did these fills based on the data in the Web form details section, whereas 1Password 4 seems to need the data to be in the Username slot.

Is there a way to revert to the 1Password 3 behavior where the answers to the security questions were not saved as plain text Usernames?

Mac OS X 10.9.4 / Safari 7.0.5

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akialoa‌

I hope you're enjoying 1Password 4 so far ... aside from this complication with your banking site. Because this is on the second page of the site, I imagine we won't be able to do a lot of testing here, but I'll do my best to help get this sorted for you.

While viewing the entry, please click on the 'show web form details' button. Click the 'Edit' button, and change the username icon next to the field to the password icon. This should change the field type without changing the details that 1Password needs to correctly fill on the page.

Here's an example of the web form details from an Amazon Login. The icons on the right of the web form details are the ones you want to change.

Please let me know how this works for you!

• akialoa
    akialoa
    Community Member
    Options

Great. That mostly works. Thank-you.

The answers no longer appear in plain text in the app and they still fill correctly.

The only thing I now find a little odd is that when 1Password does the autofill it fills the answer box in plain text instead of filling with ••••••• as I would expect for something being nominally treated as a password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akialoa‌

The only thing I now find a little odd is that when 1Password does the autofill it fills the answer box in plain text instead of filling with ••••••• as I would expect for something being nominally treated as a password.

How the information is displayed in the field on the website depends on how the website itself is coded. 1Password has no control over how the password looks as you fill it. It simply ensures that your information is put into the correct field. The website would need to obscure the field in order for it to be hidden as it is being filled.

I hope this helps :)

• akialoa
    akialoa
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akialoa‌

Happy to help! Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.