1Password for Windows vs Mac

Options

I don't have a Mac since they are more expensive than PC's. Are there missing features in the Windows versions that are only on the Mac version?

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @KeithWeisshar‌,

Both versions have some features that are not in other version, that's due to the technical and design differences between both OS versions and our development teams. Majority of the features are the same between both versions and we do our best to keep them in parity as fast as we can. Note this is true for other platforms, not just Windows but also Android and iOS. The iOS had more features than the Mac app had for a year before they both caught up.

Right now, the OS X version have the ability to let you edit your data within the 1Password mini (1Password Helper on Windows), printing support, quick attachment previews (aka QuickLook), smart folders, more powerful search, more modernized interface (we're already working on Yosemite redesign) and a few others like better a multiple-vault experience.

Many of these are coming to the Windows app in the future, the Mac app just happen to be out quicker with a bigger team behind it.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Which platform is the most difficult to develop for?

• foehammer25
    foehammer25
    Community Member
    Options

1Password caters more to Apple products. My iphone and ipad are happy about that, but my PC is very sad :(

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@KeithWeisshar‌:

Windows by far is the most difficult to code for. A lot of the nice things we can do on iOS and Mac are due to the APIs that Apple already built whereas on Windows, we don't have that in the way we want it. So in order to replicate some features on Windows, we have to do it from the ground up and that takes a lot of time.

@foehammer25‌:

1Password caters more to Apple products. My iphone and ipad are happy about that, but my PC is very sad

That's generally because 1Password was born as a Mac exclusive app and it remained so for several years before we started working on iOS the moment Apple released their first iOS SDK. Windows and other platforms unfortunately doesn't benefit from our experiences on Apple platforms as they're radically different.

We're working on that as we continue to expand our teams to get all of the platforms in parity.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

What are the limitations in the Microsoft API's used for Windows?

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @KeithWeisshar,

Off my head based on the recent conversations here, there isn't a solid component or API for quickly viewing files without storing it on disk, alas QuickLook on Mac or isolating a folder to a specific process, so that only 1Password could access it and nobody else. These are mainly for viewing attachments within 1Password without having to ask users to save the file elsewhere first.

There are other things but we are not going to list them all here.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Another example: Mac menus support interactive controls (like text entry) where Windows doesn't. This leads to the unintuitive Search behaviour in the 1PfW4 extension menu.

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

That's right, the WS_POPUP component we use from Windows is rather limited for what we want to do.

You may also notice that you can't use arrow keys to open up the details view for your items in the extension, you have to explicitly right-click on it to view its details view. Also, it is not your typical submenu, it generates a separate menu instance instead when you right-click on it.

Can we get rid of WS_POPUP and generate our own native UI? Yes and that's something we'd like to try in the future.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I'm curious about the right click thing in the menus; why can't you simply have expending menus as normal?

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @RichardPayne,

Basically, a menu item that has a child menu can't receive any mouse events as it is exclusively used to open the child menu or close it, nothing else. So, an example is you can't click on a Login item to fill in because the only thing you can do is open a child menu instead. That's assuming we want to be able to hover over an item to display its details menu.

• multiplatformuser
    multiplatformuser
    Community Member
    Options

Why are the options for generating passwords so different from platform to platform. For example, on mac I can generate a pronounceable password in the for of xyz-zyx-xy-zy, whereas on windows I am limited to a "diceware" password. On iOS, there isn't an option for either. Is there a technical reason for the disparity (ie, limitations of each platform), or is it just something that wasn't a priority?

As you can see from my username, I am a multi-platform user and would love parity when it comes to recipes for generating passwords.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

on mac I can generate a pronounceable password in the for of xyz-zyx-xy-zy, whereas on windows I am limited to a "diceware" password.

Our diceware generator is compliant with up-to-date security practices. Think of diceware as the more modern form of a pronounceable password.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Jim A Syler,

I don't have a timeframe for you yet, we will add it in a future update to all 1Password apps. I will add your vote to our list on this.

This discussion has been closed.