If there is no device passcode, there's no option to enable PIN for 1Password [Intentional]

Options
HRD
HRD
Community Member
edited August 2014 in iOS

I maybe having a bad day at the office but setup for PIN is not visible to me on latest beta

Comments

• @hrd Are you on a device with Touch ID? Touch ID enabled devices only see Touch ID as a quick unlock option.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni I am using the beta on an iPod touch. Is that the issue?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @HRD,

No, it should show up on iPod Touch since it doesn't have TouchID. Can you upload a screenshot, so we can see what's going on.

Thanks!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

@‌Mike T, is This the screenshot you wish be to supply?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @HRD,

Yes, thank you. That definitely doesn't look right but I think I know why.

Do you have a passcode on your iPod touch? If no, can you enable it and see if it shows up. If yes, well, turn it off and see if it shows up. :P

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌

Enabled passcode and PIN code shows up. When I disable, PIN code does not show up.

Could I suggest you modify this, as I don't want to use a passcode but do want a PIN.

Thanks

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @HRD,

Yes, that is likely a bug, and we'll get that fixed.

Thanks!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

Thanks for the confirmation. I look forward to the update.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

• lem3ssie
    lem3ssie
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi, i really am a fan of 1password, but i don't understand why i can't have a quick toggle with no system passcode. I don't want a system password, and i don't want to enter a master password everytime. Quick toggle like before was fine to me. I was entering a 4 digit passcode only when opening 1password. Now, even if master password is set to never, i have to enter it everytime the app starts, cause i have no system 4-digit passcode. I would like quick toogle back, just like 4.5.3. Just copy/paste the code from 4.5.3 to 4.6bx, please. If only i had touch id.

That's what i was talking about, it was in fact a bug. I'm glad it will be fixed.

• MikeT
    Options

Stay tuned, we'll get it fixed relatively soon.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

I note this little issue remains with the latest updates. Do have an ETA for when this bug will be fixed?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @HRD,

We're having internal discussions on this and we're leaning to make the passcode mandated to be able to use the PIN code. I'll follow up as soon as we reach a consensus. Your concerns (mine as well since family iPads are often without a passcode) are definitely being taken in consideration here.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

Thanks and noted.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome! Hopefully, good news soon.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌,

I note that with the public beta, the PIN code with only work with the system passcode enabled.

I suggest this is retrograde step.

Comments?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

After talking about this internally, we've decided this is going to be the intended design from now on. Due to the increased security provided by the device passcode, we're not going to allow PIN level of security in the 1Password for iOS app unless there is a passcode configured for the device as well.

We know this is an inconvenience for some folks considering this was allowed in previous versions but we've decided to enforce this starting from the 4.6 version and later.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌,

I note your comments but I have to say I don't like it and to be frank, I suggest your judgement it wrong.

It is for the user to decide the level of security required for his individual needs.

I have to say it is sad day when decisions are enforced that restrict end users workflow.

I kindly suggest you revisit this.

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @HRD,

I know how you feel, I feel the same but overall, we have to consider the security integrity of the app/device and to promote better security habits.

We simply don't feel it is a good idea to use 1Password on devices with no passcode and we're willing to enforce that to promote better security habits. We're always balancing between security and convenience, and in this case, the security side is winning. There are just too many cons for not having a passcode on your device, especially after everything we've gone through in the past few years.

The fact that the iOS does have 4-digit PIN code support and you can disable the auto-lock or extends it to the longest possible, we feel this is a better solution.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple enforcing the passcode on their devices in the near future, especially as TouchID gets more support on more iOS devices.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

Thanks for your explanation and reasoning.

I will let the matter rest.

• Hi @HRD,

Thanks for your understanding! Please always bring up your feedback with us as you probably have noticed by now, we're willing to listen and be flexible to change things as needed. We never say never, so it is possible we can still change this back in the future.

This discussion has been closed.