Syncing via shared volume - amending entries

Hi,
We have about 20 macs syncing 1p3 via a shared network volume.
The problem I have is when trying to update or delete an entry. The update appears to have worked correctly - I can restart 1P and the change has taken place.
However when I restart the machine, the old data is there again.
Is there any way I can get these changes to "stick" and update the other machines on the network as we now have 10s of entries for some logins where passwords are changing.
The machines are running a mixture of Mavericks and Snow Leopard.
Many thanks

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jasonrafferty‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. Unfortunately the set-up that you are currently using is not supported. 1Password was designed to expect the keychain file to be stored on a locally accessible folder. Storing it on a shared network volume could lead to a host of complications, including the error that you are seeing now.

Are you unable to use Dropbox for your set-up?

• jasonrafferty
    jasonrafferty
    Community Member

Hi Megan,
    This definitely was a supported setup when we bought 1 password - in fact the documentation explicitly described it.
    That said, would using dropbox to sync solve the problem?
    Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jasonrafferty‌

Syncing with Dropbox should give you a much more reliable experience. You can find the instructions on how to do so in our support article here.

If you are unable to sync using Dropbox, I would strongly suggest syncing to a local folder and then using a secondary sync solution (like rsync) to sync that folder to the network drive.

• jasonrafferty
    jasonrafferty
    Community Member

Hi Megan,
    Thanks for your replies.
    Would you be so kind as to explain the sync process .. i'm not sure i understand why a mounted network drive is not a suitable place for the datafile and yet a dropbox folder is.
    Can I used other cloud based sync services such as box etc?
    Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jasonrafferty‌

i'm not sure i understand why a mounted network drive is not a suitable place for the datafile and yet a dropbox folder is.

In 1Password 3, the app expects your data to be available (via the 1Password.agilekeychain file) ALL of the time. If the file is unavailable for any reason, things could get complicated. This is why the network drive is a potentially risky solution. Network drives can be slow and they have file locking capabilities that may differ depending on which network drive solution is being used. This could lead to a situation where 1Password is unable to access the 1Password.agilekeychain.

With Dropbox the 1Password.agilekeychain file is local on the user's computer, so 1Password can always read/write to the 1Password.agilekeychain file. Then the Dropbox client looks for changes and sends them to Dropbox to change on other devices. This is very different than everyone effectively trying to access the exact same data file via the shared network drive.

Can I used other cloud based sync services such as box etc?

1Password 3 only officially supports Dropbox sync. If you are able to find a secondary sync solution that can sync a specific folder to your network drive and the other users, you can store your keychain in a local folder and then use that solution to do the heavy lifting (in the same way I described Dropbox doing above.) I'm not familiar with Box's sync options, so I'm not able to say whether this setup would work with them.

I hope this helps, but as always, we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.