transfer information from 1Password Version 2.12.1 to Version 4.4.1

ootmol
ootmol
Community Member

How do I transfer my information from 1Password Version 2.12.1 to Version 4.4.1. At present I have both in my application folder. Do I delete Version 2.12.1 after a successful transfer of data?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ootmol,

Since you're on 2.12.1, we should be able to make this work. Let's try this:

• In 1Password on your Mac, go to Preferences > Keychain tab and make sure the button says "Switch to OS X Keychain"
    • You'll need your data in AgileKeychain format for 1Password 4 to read it
    • Once that is confirmed, you should be able to open 1Password 4 for Mac and it will detect your database and prompt you for your Master Password.

Once your 1Password database is all loaded into 1Password 4 for Mac, we've got one more step to make sure that you're secured: update your Master Password. Our encryption has gotten a lot better since version 2, so to take advantage of the latest and greatest encryption, you'll want to change your Master Password. This will update the PBKDF2 iterations and get you the best security possible. If you're happy with the Master Password you have, you can change it ... and then change it right back to your existing one. It's not the Master Password that we're concerned with here, it's the change to encryption that it is kicking off.

I hope this makes sense, but please do let me know if you have any questions, or hit any snags in the process! :)

• Hi @ootmol‌,

The first thing you need to do is make sure 1Password 2 is using the Agile Keychain Format. You can see how to check that here (They are old instructions about moving to 1Password 3, but the ensuring 1Password 2 is using Agile Keychain still stands).

Once you are sure you have the data in Agile Keychain Format, we'll need to get that into 1Password 4.

Before we do that, I have a couple questions:

1. Have you set up 1Password 4 yet? Or have you not run it all.
    2. If you set it up, have you entered any data yet?
This discussion has been closed.