How to Backup onto Dropbox

Options
Whatevername
Whatevername
Community Member

Hi,

I always used to backup onto Dropbox so I can retrevie everything if my laptop is stollen. In the new 1Password I cant see how to repoint the backup to dropbox. Any suggestions on how I can do this?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You cannot currently change the backup location in 1P4.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Whatevername‌

As @Stephen_C says, there is no way to change the backup location in 1Password 4. This is done to ensure that backups are always reliably created. In version 3, we saw too many instances of backups being moved to removable storage drives. If the drive were to become disconnected for any reason, 1Password would be unable to make backups. Version 4 makes this process a lot more seamless so the user doesn't have to worry.

If you would like to have access to your 1Password data in Dropbox, there are two options:

• You can simply sync your database to Dropbox. There are instructions on how to do so here: Sync with Dropbox
    • You can manually copy the most recent backups from the default location to Dropbox. The default locations are different depending on where you purchased 1Password 4 for Mac:

Mac App Store: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

Web: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions! :)

• WillK
    WillK
    Community Member
    Options

Does syncing to Dropbox mean that there's always a backup in Dropbox? When I look in my Dropbox>1P folder, I see my 1Password.agilekeychain (but no backup).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @WillK,

Here's a bit of information about 1Password data storage before answering your question:

In version 4 for Mac, all of your 1Password data is stored in a local database, with one or more vaults, and every backup file (in locations that @Megan‌ mentioned) contains a full copy of that database. Each database vault can be optionally configured to independently sync, e.g. with an Agile Keychain vault (folder) sync point in Dropbox.

Does syncing to Dropbox mean that there's always a backup in Dropbox?

Syncing is never intended as a replacement for backups. But if your 1Password database only has a single Primary vault, a reliable copy of it that's been synced with Dropbox can be used for recovering your data.

Hopefully the longer background explanation helps the short answer make sense. :)

• Dafydd
    Dafydd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info! I understand the point made by @Megan, but only keeping backups locally seems to somewhat defeat most of the point of making backups in the first place. Perhaps, rather than allowing the backup location to be customized, you could have a "copy backups to Dropbox" checkbox that would copy the backup to a sub-folder of the folder where the Dropbox vault is stored?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dafydd ,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll let the team know that you're interested in an option like this.

This discussion has been closed.