Master Password reset problem

ccyoung
ccyoung
Community Member

I just installed 1Password. The initial MP was cut and pasted from something I first typed on a text editor. Let's say it is "ABC123XYZ". I managed to include a carriage return / linefeed in the process, i.e. the selection high-lighted the entire line and not just the nine characters. The effect is I cannot launch 1Password by typing in "ABC123XYZ". I don't know how to type in a , and the only way I have found is to type that string into a text editor, select the whole line and paste it in. This is painful.

I am following the directions in https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/change-mp.html to change MP. However, the change failed because it would not recognize the current MP. It doesn't matter if I include the linefeed (by cut and paste) or not. I have scanned the discussions here but don't find anything that helps. Is there a way to get around this? Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @ccyoung‌,

That is not a fun situation! It sounds like we may need to reset everything and start over.

I need to know a few things to give the best instructions.

1. Do you have any data entered in 1Password yet that needs to be preserved?
    2. Are you running the Mac App Store version, or the direct version from our web site?
    3. Have you synced to iCloud or Dropbox?

Once I know those answers, I can get you fixed up. :)

• ccyoung
    ccyoung
    Community Member

Yes, I have entered data. It's not the end of the world but would be nice to keep.
    When I click "About 1Password", the new window says it is Mac App Store. See attached screen capture.
    Not synched to anything as far as I know. In fact, my next step was to find out where the heck the vault is located.

• ccyoung
    ccyoung
    Community Member

It's bad form to try to answer my own question but .... Can I export everything from my original vault (with the buggered MP), create a new vault (with a different and not so annoying MP), import the information, and finally delete the original vault?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Yes, you can do that. There is a helpful thread here. I recommend reading the whole thread carefully before you start.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ccyoung,

If you follow steps in @toasted's post in the thread @Stephen_C‌ linked to, you can skip the ones about syncing: 3, 4, 8, 9. And in step 4, you can refer to our newer starting over guide for those instructions.

When setting up the primary vault in your new database after starting over, you'll again want to use a strong, memorable Master Password. But, of course, not "buggered" this time. :)

For tips on coming up with and memorizing your new password, see this blog post written by our security expert, Jeff Goldberg: Toward Better Master Passwords.

I hope that helps! If you have more questions please let us know.

• ccyoung
    ccyoung
    Community Member

Thank you for the very helpful pointer from Stephen_C. I have resolved my problem now. Regrading MP choice, it was something that (I believe) is consistent with good practice. In an over-abundance of caution, I first typed it with a text editor to make sure it was exactly what I wanted it to be and to avoid accidentally mistyping it twice during 1Password setup. But of course I screwed up by copying the line-feed in addition to the string :-(

Thanks again for all the help.

And a residual question. Was my observation correct that the interface for opening 1Password accepts the line-feed while the interface for changing MP ignores it? It's surprising that they do not share the same engine.....

• Hi @ccyoung‌,

I am so glad you are all set now. As for the final question there, I'm unsure of the answer, but I am going to find out. Sounds like a bug/oversight to me.

This discussion has been closed.