Can I open 1password4 database from older 1password for Windows?

Options

I'm having no end of difficulties since upgrading to 1P4, the browser extensions are just completely inconsistent, one machine works fine half of the time, another doesn't Ctrl+\ at all across any browser. I'm sick of the issues and just want to go back to the old version that worked. Can the older version of 1password open my now ugpraded database?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

If you're still using the .agilekeychain file format then yes, I think it can. If you're using the newer .opvault format then no, it can't.

That said, you haven't started any threads for these endless difficulties you're experiencing. Since I doubt v1 will be getting much love from now on, why not report the issues you're having with v4 and see if they can be solved?

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Richard,

I haven't logged the issues with Ctrl+\, however I've made several other posts about issues or concerns with 1Password4. Computers are my livelihood and perhaps counter intuitively that means that when I get home I have no interest in tinkering with them further... that's work. The earlier version while not perfect was pretty reliable for me and I don't upgrade just for upgrading's sake.

That said, given I'm prepared to uninstall and install the earlier version instead, I had one attempt at uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password4 first. So far the Ctrl+\ is working in both browsers on my main PC (where it previously didn't work at all). I'll wait and see whether it continues to be 50/50 like my laptop and decide whether to revert to the earlier release based on that. For reference, the earlier version wasn't foolproof with Ctrl+\ either, but it was much more reliable in my experience. Once I found I could reliably break it by using it before the extension had initialised I then knew what to avoid... I haven't yet found any consistent cause for my issues with 1P4's extension.

Cheers

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies. The forum user profiles must be broken. All I saw from you was this thread, a gripe about the look and feel, a feature request and a bug with v1.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wraith, although I don't have much info about the problems you've been experiencing with 1Password 4, issues with the 1Password 4 extension are often related to antivirus, anti-malware, or firewall software installed on your PC. Those can interfere with the communication between 1Password, the 1Password Helper (a necessary background application) and the browser extensions. Using a proxy server can also cause this.

We have helpful information about all that in these articles from our knowledgebase:

Please let us know if that helps!

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,
    I'd referenced those pages already, it appears the issue was some sort of failure to install correctly given that a reinstall of 1Password from scratch resolved it. Interestingly it's now created a new problem, my container is never locking (despite the 20 minute timeout). It is locking when the screen saver comes on so for the time being that'll be my workaround.
    Cheers,
    J

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update, @wraith‌.

If you continue to have problems with the auto-lock settings, please let us know how you have them set up. We'll try to create a similar environment to see whether we can replicate the problem.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @DBrown‌
    Just a quick update, the timeout continues to be a bit of an issue but I think it's at least partly due to me misunderstanding the intent (or disagreeing with it). I had assumed the timer meant, 20 minutes since I last used 1Password, like the way that PGP and other security apps tend to work. I've just read on a separate discussion that the timer is based on PC activity, which is very different. My PC is never idle for 20 minutes (otherwise it's off) but I hadn't expected 1Password to still be caching my password when I haven't used it for several hours.

So, for the time being I'll try setting it to 1 minute in the hope that this occurs often enough that 1Password stops caching my password and I'll raise a feature request for a lockout that's based on how recently I've used 1Password rather than system activity.

Thanks

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If I remember correctly, it used to work that way (I'm a little fuzzy on that) and was changed in response to use requests.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Ah! I just came across some related information in another thread in this forum.

@svondutch‌ says that, if you disable the Universal Unlock option, 1Password will lock itself after the specified number of minutes of program inactivity, instead, because it won't be detecting system activity to keep itself "alive."

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

That's awesome! Thanks @DBrown, that'll do the job. :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

You're welcome, @wraith!

I had forgotten that this is already mentioned in the user's guide article describing the Browsers tab:

The Universal Unlock option also affects the auto-lock timer:

• If this option is enabled, the helper monitors all activity and resets the auto-lock timer with each keystroke or mouse click.
    • If this option is disabled, the helper doesn’t unlock the main program, so the auto-lock timer is reset only on interaction with the main 1Password program.
This discussion has been closed.