iOS Backups take up way too much space

Hello there,

i have a little concern about the iOS backup policy. I recently noticed, that 1Password on my iPhone takes up around 500 MB. Since my keychain itself is only around 40 MB i wondered where all this data came from. I found out that it is from the backups which are provided through the App view in iTunes.

Now i understand that having backups available is a very important thing when dealing with passwords but i must admit that I find the usage of the (limited) space on my mobile device very frustrating - especially since there is nothing i can do against it - at least that's what i suppose.

Is there any known way to get rid of the backups on the iPhone? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

kind regards

Comments

• azabache
    azabache
    Community Member

I have the same issue. It takes 2.6GB on my phone. What gives?

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

Just a guess... but is there an option for Mac 1Password to create backups of current keychain? Maybe you have it set for 50 backups or something (50x40= 2GB + )

Again, just a guess

• Hi @Xylose‌ & @azabache‌,

The backups should be consolidating after a short time to save space (much like how Apple's Time Machine condenses older backups). It sounds like that is not happening. The way to remove the backup files would be to delete and re-install the app. I would make sure your 1Password data is fully synced to iCloud, Dropbox, or that you have done a Wi-Fi sync to 1Password 4 for Mac or 1Password 4 for Windows before removing the app and re-installing.

This discussion has been closed.