Secondary Shared vault not recognizing master password

Hi i bought a family license and i installed it on my windows computer and 1imac 1 macbook.
I started filling my passwords in the windows computer, shared the vaults via dropbox and installed it on my macs, everythong was working fine, i worked with the vaults fine on the mac, and i dont use the windows computer much, so a couple weeks later i tried to open the secondary vault on my windows computer, but it says is not the proper password, i can open my main vault with no problems but the secondary not, since i know in windows doesnt work the same as mac (i can open both vaults with my main password) the first thing i tried to do was opening the secondary vault with the seconday master password on my macs and it opened fine, so i go back to my windows and make sure to write the secondary password but no success, i cant access my secondary vault on windows, i tried uninstalling the software and reopen the vaults and again the same, the main agilekeychain open fine but the secondary not, and its not a master password problem because i can open them fine on mac with both passwords, please help.

Thank you

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The Windows app doesn't have the same concept of primary and secondary vaults as the Mac app does. Effectively both vaults are "primary vaults". To unlock the second one you need to use the master password for the second vault, not the master password you use for the first vault.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

On Mac, you can open both the primary and the secondary vault with the same (primary) master password. Although convenient, you risk forgetting your secondary master password :(

On Windows, you can open one vault at a time and one vault only. This is why you'll need to unlock vault A with master password A and vault B with master password B.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Although convenient, you risk forgetting your secondary master password

Of course, you could store your secondary vault password in your primary vault. Problem solved! :p

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014

Of course, you could store your secondary vault password in your primary vault. Problem solved!

This is what they do on Mac, but this metadata is not included with agilekeychain and that is why the primary+secondary vault stuff does not travel over to Windows.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Even with the .agilekeychain format, you can save your secondary vaults' master passwords in a Secure Notes item, as I had assumed @RichardPayne was suggesting.

At least that way you don't risk forgetting them and losing access to your data.

• Mike Salcedo
    Mike Salcedo
    Community Member

This is not what i said, to keep it simpler: on a mac i can open "B" vault with A or B password just fine. on windows i can open A vault with A password, but B vault cant be opened with B password. its the same B password i write on mac, and also i have B password saved as login on A vault, thats why im asking for help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Sorry for the confusion, Mike!

I want to make sure I understand the problem.

In 1Password for Mac, a single master password gives you access to your primary vault (A) and all secondary vaults (B, C, etc.). You're never prompted for a master password to open a secondary vault.

In 1Password for Windows, there's no such thing as a secondary vault (or a primary vault, technically). You open each vault as if it were a primary vault, which means you have to know its master password. Even if you had chose, to use the same master password for each of them, you'd still be entering it each time you opened one or switched from one to another.

1Password for Windows also can't open itself[1], so having stored your master password for vault B inside vault A won't help you actually open vault B—it's just there for safekeeping: if you forget the master password for vault B (especially if you mostly use it on a Mac, where you don't need to remember the master password) you can remind yourself what it is. (That's why I suggested storing it in a Secure Note item, because a Login is of no use to you in that scenario.)

So:

• Is the problem that you're expecting to use a Login item stored in vault A to open vault B?

--or--

• Is the problem that your master password for vault B (which you happen to have stored, just for safekeeping, in vault A) doesn't open vault B?

1 When you follow the instructions in the user's guide for creating an "application Login", you'll notice that 1Password isn't listed among the running programs.

This discussion has been closed.