1Password crashes during sync on devices using an Intel processor [Fixed in version 4.2.1]

Comments

• PGMemo8
    PGMemo8
    Community Member

Well, it is good to know that I'm not the ONLY one! However, it pains me to know that this has been a known issue without resolution while I was submitting crash reports. Since this has been a known issue, and I assume that my crash reports would ID that I have a Memo8, I would have appreciated a "we've heard of the issue, and we are working on it". I'm guessing that my crash report data may have been helpful in some way.

Any update or ETA on a solution?

• andrealisari
    andrealisari
    Community Member

Another Intel Atom Z3745 @ 1.33 GHz with the same issue. Running 1Password Android 4.1.3 (released November, 16), Android 4.4.2 on a Lenovo Yoga 2 tablet 10.1". The app finds the vault within Dropbox folders, opens it, shows the login screen, I enter the main password, the main screen appears and the app says it is syncing with Dropbox... Then crashes! I've been using 1Password since the earlier version 3 on Mac, Windows, iPhone and Android, too (with a HTC One M8 smartphone that, luckily, has no Intel processor) and now I can't live without it. Please, AgileBits, help!

• rnav
    rnav
    Community Member

Hello,

I just installed 1Password for Android and it crashes few seconds after starting the sync with Dropbox. The application closes and a message shows saying "Unfortunately, 1Password has stopped".

How can I send you some logs or info?

Thanks.

• andrealisari
    andrealisari
    Community Member

Have a look at the thread "1Password crashes during sync on devices using an Intel processor". I believe you could find something interesting there, if your device has an Intel processor.

• rnav
    rnav
    Community Member

Thank you very much andrealisari. Indeed, I have an Inter processor. I'm going to switch to the other thread. Thanks again.

• rnav
    rnav
    Community Member

Hello.

Same issue here. A Teclast X98 Air 3G(C6J6), Intel Atom Z3736F @ 2.16 GHz, running Android 4.4.2.
    The app crashes few seconds after it starts the Dropbox Sync. I haven't tested it without Dropbox Sync as it keeps crashing and I don't have time to turn it off.

I've been using 1Password since the beginning in my Mac, and later on in my iPhone, and I can't live without it. My poor tablet is turned off all day because it cannot run it.

Thanks for the help!

• steveparry
    steveparry
    Community Member

Hi, I had all these problems too on a UK Tesco Hudl 2 tablet. The 1Password app had been crashing on sync every time but the number of items synced increased each time. So, after a week of unsuccessful attempts to use it today I tried and it worked! Finally all logins are there and when syncing I see the little icon spinning and then - "synced".

Steve

• Blister
    Blister
    Community Member

"Hi, I had all these problems too on a UK Tesco Hudl 2 tablet..."

Me too - but not been able to sync so far.

• @rnav I merged your other thread regarding this issue into this one, in order to try to condense the information on the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have any new information to report on the issue yet, but I will update this thread once I do.

• PlanetHurf
    PlanetHurf
    Community Member

Hi, I've just installed 1password premium on my new hudl2 (android) tablet and it has crashed at various points during synch after successfully connecting with dropbox.

I get the error message:

Unfortunately, 1Password has stopped... Report/Cancel.

After app has crashed, I can still see the lock icon at the top l/h side of info header and when I look at this I will see a number of variations of
    Synching with Dropbox... Downloaded item 6 or 190, 43 or 190, 2 of 190, or immediately upon connecting with dropbox. (having cleared cache and uninstalled between each failed attempt to synch.

Initially upon setting up new device it restored 1 password reader, and I tried to login to that (but was unable to, due to wrong pw) I have since uninstalled this, but I'm wondering if there is any residual data causing my synch issue with 1pw premium?

Thanks in advance.

Barry

• timbishop
    timbishop
    Community Member

Just another "me too". Have a Tesco Hudl2 and I'm seeing the same crash as other people. Look forward to a fix.

• andrealisari
    andrealisari
    Community Member

Welcome to the jungle! Have a look at the thread "1Password crashes during sync on devices using an Intel processor". The latest post is from someone having exactly your same device. We'll keep you company.

• PlanetHurf
    PlanetHurf
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Thanks, Andrea. :)

Yes, the thread you mentioned certainly relates to my issue:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/28217/1password-crashes-during-sync-on-devices-using-an-intel-processor#latest

• PlanetHurf
    PlanetHurf
    Community Member

Another hudl2, (Intel Atom processor) with same issue here. Will synch a small number of items (number varies between 0 and 30ish before crashes) from Dropbox before crashing.

• hudl2user
    hudl2user
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Hi,

This thread has been running since August 2014.

In October 2014 mverde stated

Coming back to the Dalvik runtime, it appears that the issue is at a much lower level than our code. Although we can't directly address any bugs or incompatibilities with Dalvik running on Intel hardware, it may be possible for us to optimize the decryption process to avoid this issue. This is something that we will need to continue to look into.

Has it been established if this incompatibility can be addressed or is 1Password unable to run on these Intel devices?

It would be handy to know if it is thought a fix is actually possible so that those with Intel devices know if they will have to try to source another password manager.

• PlanetHurf
    PlanetHurf
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Resolved! The work around for this (on the hudl 2 at least) is simply perseverance. Just continue to login repeatedly, after every crash. Each time you do, the total number of items in the queue to synch drops by about 5 at a time. After about 15 mins and 40 attempts I was finally able to login. Works fine every time now. Not ideal, but better than the alternatives.

Top tip. It might be worth changing to a password that can be typed quickly for the duration of this exercise!

• toshiro
    toshiro
    Community Member

Hi, I have been experiencing the same problem. Actually, I bought Asus MeMo Pad 7 yesterday and completed restoring apps on my Nexus7.
    1Password is one of the most important app and wanted to sync a vault on Dropbox, but no luck.
    I tried the File sync instead of Dropbox, but the result was the same and 1Password stopped with a message on the display "Unfortunately, 1Password has stopped". I believe Agilebits is working hard to resolve this problem. I would like to know how soon this can be permanently fixed by Agilebits and announce a new version, please.

Thanks to PlanetHurf! It's great to know the workaround. I repeated the login procedure many times, once every 3 to 5 items, but could complete the sync with my vault in Dropbox.

• hudl2user
    hudl2user
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

PlanetHurf - Thanks for the suggestion but that isn't really the problem resolved. In my case if I was lucky enough to get 5 entries syncing each time it would still take me about 94 crashes before I got up to date (or 156 crashes if I only got 3 like toshiro !!!). Repeatedly crashing the app in order to get it to work does not exactly fill me with reassurance. I know this has NOT been reported but what if as a result of using the "crash" technique the app corrupts an entry or two, which them gets fed to Dropbox which then gets fed to my other linked 1Password enabled devices (computer / phone)? That is why I am not using this technique to overcome the incompatibility.

Basically I was asking Agilebits if it is thought that a fix is actually possible.

• peri
    edited December 2014

@PlanetHurf‌ I merged your other thread into this one since they're related.

@hudl2user‌ We are definitely working on this issue. I'm sorry I don't have any news to report right now, but we'll let you know when any news is available.

• andrealisari
    andrealisari
    Community Member

To everyone who feels adventurous: I tried the "crash" workaround and solved for me, too. It's quite annoying and frustrating but, till Agilebits fixes the issue, it can help having the app working. I do not consider this like a good solution and do not recommend to follow me and everyone else has tried this way. I just want to add every possible data to this thread, hoping to help Agilebits to understand the problem and find a REAL solution.

• PlanetHurf
    PlanetHurf
    Community Member

I appreciate that my very optimistic sounding post beginning with the word 'Resolved' was perhaps a little misleading. However, I chose it to draw attention to a workaround that, though far from perfect and certainly time consuming, resolved the issue (albeit a short term fix) for me. I thought it would draw attention to the post for those in need of a quick(ish) and very dirty solution. I too would rather the issue was resolved correctly as I parted with a not inconsiderable amount of cash for the app in the first place. As a more permanent solution I've instructed Santa to sort me out with an ipad (and if he doesn't his necklace is going back! :smiley:

• andrealisari
    andrealisari
    Community Member

@PlanetHurf‌ Luckily there are people like you and steveparry that share their experience, thus allowing others to solve or, at least, minimize such an issue. I was in doubt whether trying the "crash" way or not, and your post gave me the courage to ride this train. Hope Santa will reward you as you wish!

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

We will be celebrating 4th month of this thread since I started it at the end of August. Hopefully we will be able to beat the 1.1K view count of another thread titled "Multiple vault support" and also, possibly, the comments left on this thread as well.

I have full trust in AgileBits support to delay this issue just a bit longer. Sounds sarcastic, I know, but I really don't mean to. o:)

Thank you all who have commented and supported with their experiences on their devices. Looking forward to be able to use 1password on my Android device! :D

• peri
    edited December 2014

I second @centurypixel‌ in thanking you all for the comments and feedback on this issue. This is something our developers have been working on since it was first brought to our attention.

While I (unfortunately) don't have any news on this at the moment, we will post here as soon as we have any new information on this bug. Thanks for your patience!

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

Agilebits promotes itself as a leader in password management and I have been a user on OSX and IOS for a long time. Based on that I just downloaded the Android version to a new Asus MemoPad and sure enough after many attempts at failed folder syncing found this thread. I am not even able to create a new vault and enter logins without the app crashing midway through entering or editing data.

So it's basically useless.

This was brought to your attention 4 months ago and to keep fobbing off your customers is simply poor service and customer relations. This can't be difficult to fathom and fix if you are able to reproduce it. You clearly have a talented bunch of s/w developers to be able to produce the product you have so far on IOS, OSX and Windows so why not put some effort into it and help those who now can't use it? Or as I suspect we're in a minority and you simply are not that bothered?

• toshiro
    toshiro
    Community Member

As I read the post by eltel, I have had the same feeling against AgileBits. I have used 1Password for a long time on my Mac and enjoyed it very much. I bought a new tablet (Asus MeMO Pad7) a few days ago and I experience the same problem. I think that the major bug of this type should be fixed as a top priority, but it seems to me that AgileBits doesn't pay only a very limited attention to it as I see this forum.
    We, users don't know how you are working on it, nothing?, or working hard? At least AgileBits should update the status of the work from time to time for us waiting for the fix eagerly.

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

It's not a big money earner for them like IOS, Windows and OSX so they won't devote the effort especially as only a minority of customers are affected. If this problem was on another platform it would have been fixed by now. They couldn't afford not to. If you look back you'll see that "mverde" had hoped that a later release of Android would fix it which it didn't so now it's all gone quiet.

A recent Xmas email from Dave Teare said "...The main resolution on my list is to start doing Yoga regularly as my lower back has been killing me. I sit way too much typing on my MacBook and I’m hoping Yoga will help..."

Perhaps rethink that main resolution Dave and get 1PW for Android fixed for your customers or at least stop charging for it after 30 days until it is.

In the meantime I'm now running Dashlane on my MemoPad - as I had to "knife and fork" the data in anyway I thought I'd try it and it works really well with "a proper" browser and it's free for just one device.

• Charles Butcher
    Charles Butcher
    Community Member

+1 from another Hudl 2 user (it's widely rated the best cheap tablet here in the UK, so there will be plenty of us around). I've been using 1Password on all my Macs for a long time, so the slowness in fixing this Android problem is a disappointment as well as a major inconvenience. I'm plugging away at the PlanetHurf method, but it's going to take forever. Please get this fixed, AgileBits!

• Hi folks,

I'm not sure where the 4 months number above came from but we've had a bug filed on this for exactly 2 months (as of tomorrow). I understand that can seem like an eternity when things aren't working the way you (rightfully) expect, but it takes time to:

• Locate & source appropriate hardware [this can be exacerbated by the fact that hardware for the Android platform is so diverse]
    • Test & reproduce the issue
    • Track down where in code the issue exists
    • Re-engineer the original thought process such that different code can accomplish the same task without causing the problem, and without causing other problems (e.g. on other devices)
    • Test that fix such that we can be confident that not only does the change fix the original issue but also that it does not cause other issues
    • Deploy an update containing the fix

I'm not trying to make excuses here, but this is a time consuming process and we only have limited resources to do these things for any platform (not just Android).

All that said, I've asked our developers if there is any way we can expedite this process. There may not be. But I've put the question out there. We certainly haven't forgotten about the issue, nor have we put Android on a back burner.

Thank you.

Ben

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

@bwoodruff - thanks for your update. You ask "...I'm not sure where the 4 months number above came from.." This thread was started 31 August, 4 month ago. In addition there are other threads which allude to this problem.

Having been in software development for a global communications provider for more years than I care to remember I fully recognise the issues and the steps you outline to achieve a fix. However touting the the "time consuming" and "limited resources" line doesn't cut it when you are marketing and charging for a product worldwide which isn't fit for purpose. You have to resource your support accordingly - you're happy to charge for your products and then fall down on the support and customer relations. I've purchased licences for Windows, OSX and IOS versions so far but I'm not about to pay up after 30 days for something that doesn't work.

Can I suggest

1) You post a sticky on this forum, where your customers come for help, which outlines the problem, devices affected and what you are doing to fix it - that's the least you should be doing from a CRM point of view.

2) Suspend charging for the app after 30 days until it works and refund those that have paid.

This discussion has been closed.