1Password crashes during sync on devices using an Intel processor [Fixed in version 4.2.1]

Comments

• Hi @eltel‌

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and suggestions. We'll definitely post a sticky regarding this known issue. :)

I'll discuss the matter further with the Android team. Thanks for your patience.

• matt7277
    matt7277
    Community Member

Just adding to this thread what is probably already known, this is certainly an issue with Intel CPU based tablets/phones. I recently picked up the Dell Venue 8 7000 (7840), and this too displays the same errors that everyone in this thread has mentioned. That is, the app will start up, and once it begins to sync with Dropbox, the app crashes after about 5 passwords being synced. If you are fast enough you can actualy jump into the settings and disable Automatic Sync to prevent future crashes. However even with the autommatic sync disabled, if you go and press the syc button on your main interface this will force a crash at that moment. So, it is 100% something to do with Intel CPUs and the mechanism that permits Syncing. After several months of this thread being open I am kind of dissapointed that it has not been addressed already. So I guess the only thing to do now is to monitor this post for updates. I hope to god this is fixed in the near future. This is makng my new tablet a whole lot less fun.

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

I agree with @eltel 100%
    I am a developer and I can confidently say that if you give me the source code, I will go ahead fix this myself. We are not sending a space station to the space and 5 months is plenty of time to get this fixed. It is CLEAR to everyone here that AgileBits needs to step up and prioritize this issue...as of this week, this thread has the highest numbers of views and will soon have highest number of replies.

This alone should be a good indication to you that for good business ethics, this issue needs to prioritized.

• youngmnro
    youngmnro
    Community Member

I purchased a Yoga Tablet pro 2 (android) and installed 1Password on the device. It started syncing to Dropbox and about 3-5 seconds the application crashes. It does this every time while sync starts, which it does automatically. I am not having this issue on my DROID Ultra phone. When it crashes, I send a report in but not sure who this is going to.

I have rebooted the device, stopped the security software that comes from Lenovo on this and still crashes.

Ideas?

• andrewbpark
    andrewbpark
    Community Member

I also am experiencing the same issue on a Dell Venue 8 7000. Has there been any update on this?

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

There has been no update, unsurprisingly. @Peri promised to post a sticky on this back on the 3rd of January but hasn't. Nor has she or anyone else from Agilebits had the courtesy to come on this forum and inform their customers on progress, which presumably is none. @Dave Teare where are you, have you and Agilebits abandoned those of us with this problem? I think we know the answer. Disgraceful customer relations.

• Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay in this response. Our developers were looking into this problem further and we recently posted a sticky with our latest findings. Unfortunately, we don’t have a fix for these crashes yet but we are not giving up! We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing and we hope to bring a fix to you as soon as we can. Thanks for your understanding.

• Bibliophile
    Bibliophile
    Community Member

Since the sticky thread is locked, I thought I'd add my name to the list: Brand new Dell Venue 8 7000 with all available updates installed (Android OS, Dropbox and 1Password) - crash on 1Password startup and sync. Since each and every one of my passwords is as complex and lengthy as the individual website allows (and they're all different), my new tablet is practically useless for anything web-related. Choices are: 1). return Dell Tablet to BestBuy and get something that works, 2). replace 1Password with LastPass (or whatever works), 3). Print out all my passwords and carry them with me in my wallet (time consuming, less secure, and counter-productive). Four months of this??? Wow

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

I'm now using Dashlane on my Asus memo pad, given up with 1PW for Android. It works beautifully with it's own browser, will cut my losses and move other devices (OSX IOS and Windows) over to it soon and abandon Agilebits altogether. They're spread too thinly to offer decent support anymore.

• I can only apologize for the inconvenience here. This is a tough cookie. We understand that devices using Intel processors are becoming more and more popular in the Android market, and we fully appreciate what that means for us.

We also understand how frustrating this is, and we sincerely appreciate everyone's patience while we work on this issue.

I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving us @eltel. :( However, if you decide to use 1Password again in the future, we'll be glad to help with anything you might need.

• bluebeardxxx
    bluebeardxxx
    Community Member

Another victim here --- new Dell Venue 8 7000 series

Is there a work around for this problem ? --- maybe move sync file from Dropbox to local tablet ???

Thinking Intel is not going to be a niche player in the Android arena going forward so giving up and accepting this problem does not wash

Paul

• Hey @bluebeardxxx. There is no official workaround, though you can check comment #47 of this thread for a possible one.

Also, I'd like to clarify a point I made in my previous comment. We don't think Intel is not going to be a niche player in the Android arena. On the contrary, I was saying that we expect more and more devices with Intel processors in the Android market. Recognizing this, we are taking this issue very seriously.

Thanks again for your patience while we work this out. :)

• rnav
    rnav
    Community Member

5 months already passed and no fix has been provided.

There are several password managers out there that can provide their services across Macs, Androids, iOS'es and Windows; some of them are standalone programs syncing via Dropbox, just like 1Password. As an example, I have bought STRIP from Zetetic and it syncs using Dropbox between my Mac, my iPhone and my Intel Android Tablet. According to a BlackHat conference held in Amsterdam in March 14-16, 2012, it seems that it is, at least, as secure as 1Password.

As it seems that syncing is not a problem for those companies, I cannot understand your reasons for such delay anymore.

I cannot return my tablet, therefore I am changing my password manager.

Thanks for all and I hope you can fix this issue soon.

• matt7277
    matt7277
    Community Member

I can also confirm that the latest beta apk released today also fails:

Version 4.2b7 (20150209) (10041)
    09 FEB 2015, 14:39

Still broken....seriously?

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

I stuck around with 1Password for 2 months for this to get fixed. Then I had to stop using 1Password as it was just not working.

As @rnav wrote, I am also using STRIP from Zetetic and have blogged about 1Password's Intel issue as well.

5 months is NOT acceptable. Period.

• bluebeardxxx
    bluebeardxxx
    Community Member

10 days since my post --- intel syncing issue. And I learned at that time that wis an existing known issue. May i request a progress report ? Hoping that the problem is still being worked on ???

Thanks

• The problem with sync on devices with Intel CPUs is not a simple solution. We are continuing to work on this issue and our most recent progress can be found here in this sticky. We will update this thread when we have something new to share. Thanks for your understanding.

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

This "puff piece" from Dave Teare Agile Bits founder in the latest newsletter

_"...Hello everyone,

We’ve been busy over the past six weeks! Since we last talked, 1Password has seen three big updates for iOS, Mac, and Windows.

No wonder I didn’t have time to get Sara a Christmas present! I set the bar high with the toaster oven I got her last year and couldn’t find anything to top that. :)..."_

How about topping it with a fix for this sync problem? Three big updates for iOS MAC and Windows further underpins the opinions expressed on here that you are actually doing nothing for Android users with this problem. Quite how you have the temerity to boast about improvements to other products whilst patently hoping this issue will go away is beyond belief. All other Android PW managers work OK with Intel CPUs so why won't yours?

• I'm sorry, but we don't have any news to report on this issue as of right now. As soon as we do have new information, though, we'll definitely post it here.

Thanks for your patience while we figure this out! We really appreciate it! :)

• mikepieronek
    mikepieronek
    Community Member

Add me to your list. I bought an Asus Memo ME572. Intel processor. I know you are working on it. I'm a big fan and heavy user of 1Password on my Mac and iPad. I like the Touch ID feature! I anxiously await your fix for Android Intel.

• Thanks so much for your support of 1Password and thank you for your understanding @mikepieronek. I have added your vote and device to our list.

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

Bump. Any news Agilebits? Coming up to 7 months now since this was raised - are you any nearer a fix?

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
  • Unfortunately, I don't have any updates to share on this issue right now and our plans to resolve this bug has not changed. Our latest findings is mentioned in the sticky post we put up 2 months back.

• samantagv
    samantagv
    Community Member

It's also crashing on a Teclast x80h.

• We added your device to our internal list. Thanks for letting us know! :)

• blugos
    blugos
    Community Member

Hello all.

Same problem here, Teclast X98 Air II, intel processor.
    It does crash only when it is syncing from "1Password.agilekeychain", that it is from a local file on the sdcard or from DropBox.

Over 7 months is unprofessional and unacceptable for this particular kind of bug.
    This is obviously not a major bug that is massively happening on Android tablets with Intel processors. That the source of the bug is the responsibility of Google or Agilebits does not matter here… There is obviously in the way the syncing between the local data of the Android app and the 1Password.agilekeychain file is coded that is triggering the crash.
    Of course I don't have the source code, but it obviously involves reading, writing, and processing the data (encrypt, decrypt)… The crash is caused by one of those processus, or a combination. It requires to intensively test parts of the code: writing and reading with mock data (not involving the processing data part) and see if it crashes. Testing the processing data part by itself, with data preloaded in the memory app, and see if it crashes…
    When it becomes clear that it is the R/W or the data processing part, then the incriminating code needs to be rewritten! 7 months would have been enough to rewrite the entire 1Password app from scratch!

As someone said previously, all other Keychain apps are working fine on Intel, so if the actual code does not work, just rewrite it differently!
    This is one thing to be perfectionist and understanding what is causing the bug, contacting google to see if they are at fault, etc…
    This in another thing to have customers waiting over 7 months for that to be fixed. How much longer do we have to wait? weeks, months? in less that 5 months, it will be a year!!!

I always found 1Password to be a great product, and Agilebits a cool company. The way this problem is handled, or the lack of feedback about it is seriously disappointing… Maybe you could give us more feedback on what is going on.

• eltel
    eltel
    Community Member

@blugos - very well put. I suspect you'll just get the usual patronising response though.

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member

Before @saad or @peri, responds, I will.

"@blugos, Thank you for your input. We are aware of the problem and our team is diligently working to resolve it. Unfortunately, we don't have any updates on this issue right now. We, thank you, and thank you again and maybe thank you again."

This discussion has been closed.