1Password crashes during sync on devices using an Intel processor [Fixed in version 4.2.1]

Options
centurypixel
centurypixel
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Android

I have Asus MemoPad 8 running Android version 4.4.2
I just restored the device to its factory defaults.
I installed Dropbox and logged in.
I installed 1Password and selected the existing vault at Dropbox.

This is the 3rd time I am trying this and 1Password keeps crashing.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Hey @centurypixel‌! I’m really sorry about the problems you’re experiencing with 1Password on your tablet. Let's figure out what's going on.

Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Android device? They are very easy to generate, just follow the instructions here.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member
    Options

How can I when it keeps crashing? I cannot even get to that screen.

• I'm sorry to hear you are not able to pass the welcome screen. :( After you have selected the vault in Dropbox, does 1Password ask you to enter your master password? Or does it crash immediately?

• frankBen
    frankBen
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar problem on my initial setup. HTC One M8. It freezes and displays the message "Please wait..." as soon as I arrive on the page that says "1Password 4 for Android would like access to the files and folders in your Dropbox." Then it shows "Allow" and my email address and "Use a different account" (the rest is hidden under the please wait). To be clear, it's when I arrive on this page, not when I try to leave it.

• technochitlin
    technochitlin
    Community Member
    Options

Mine keeps crashing trying to sync with Dropbox. I sent crash report through the app

• @frankBen‌ It sounds like 1Password is waiting for a response from Dropbox. Do you have the Dropbox application installed on your device?

• @technochitlin‌ I'm so sorry to hear that. Let's figure out what's going on. Is Dropbox failing to sync or is 1Password actually crashing on your device during Dropbox sync? Does this happen every time you sync with Dropbox?

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member
    Options

@saad It crashes as soon as it starts syncing. I made a video. You can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u76atme80eq4zzj/IMG_0794.MOV?dl=0

Please let me know when you have viewed it so I can free up space on my Dropbox. Thanks.

• Thank you for the video @centurypixel‌. The good news is that we were able to locate the crash reports on the Play Store and our team is currently looking into this issue. We noticed the MemoPad is not the only one that reported this crash, but other Asus devices did as well. I'll pass on this video to our development team. Thanks again!

• jx99
    jx99
    Community Member
    Options

...is the message I get every time I try to open 1P, set up to sync to dropbox (it will open OK without dropbox, but that's no use to me)
    android 4.4.2 (Asus tablet)
    1 password 4.1.1
    dropbox 2.4.3.12

• Hey @jx99! This sounds like a similar problem to what a small number of Asus users have also reported. Could you tell us what device you're using? Are you using the Asus MeMO Pad?

• Hey @technochitlin‌, @centurypixel‌. Would you be able to confirm if your device has the intel processor or the ARM processor?

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member
    Options

@saad‌ it is model number K011. I am not fully sure what the processor is.

• jx99
    jx99
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Saad, thanks for responding. Yes, I'm on a MeMO Pad 7, model K013 (ME176CX)
    regards,
    Jamie

• Thanks for the clarification @jx99‌. Would you be able to confirm if your device has the intel processor or the ARM processor?

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

@saad‌ , @jx99‌ and I have responded with our exact model numbers. Per my message #14, I am not sure what the processor is. If you can please let me know where to look, I will get that information for you.

• @centurypixel‌ If you don't mind, could you download the Device Info app from the Play Store? Launch the application and scroll down for CPU information. Please let us know what it says under description. Thanks so much. :)

• jx99
    jx99
    Community Member
    Options

mine is:
    Intel Atom CPU Z3745 @ 1.33GHz
    GenuineIntel 1.862Ghz

• centurypixel
    centurypixel
    Community Member
    Options

Mine is the same: Intel Atom CPU Z3745 @ 1.33GHz GenuineIntel 1.862Ghz

• saad
    Options

Thank you so much, that really helps us a lot. The Intel Atom processor may play a major role in this crash. We are going to get access to a device with similar configuration and see if we are able to reproduce it. I'll continue to post updates in this thread!

• jx99
    jx99
    Community Member
    Options

great news! good luck Saad!

• saad
    Options

Thank you. We ordered one of the devices so we are able to test this problem on our end. I'll let you know what we find out once we receive it. :D

• ajkphotography
    ajkphotography
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'd like to add that we've just added a Hudl 2 device to our ios ones and noticed that 1Password crashes shortly after entering the master password. It's an Intel atom powered tablet running kitkat. It sounds like the same issue.

• saad
    Options

Thank you @ajkphotography‌ for letting us know you are experiencing a similar problem on your device. I will pass on your device information to our team.

• hudl2user
    hudl2user
    Community Member
    Options

1password works on all my devices apart from a brand new hudl2 with an Intel processor. The app starts but as the initial sync starts Android reports that the app has stopped working. This is newly released product with the latest 1password downloaded so OS and app are both up to date.

• saad
    Options

Thank you for reporting you're experiencing this problem on your intel based device as well!

• Carl Ebrey
    Carl Ebrey
    Community Member
    Options

You guys seem to be on top of this already, but a +1 from me on this issue. Just bought a hudl 2 and am experiencing the same problem. Looking forward to the fix. :-)

• I know that many of you are waiting for updates on this issue and I thank you for your patience. I want to share what we've discovered about this issue so far...

The crash is occurring when 1Password is demanding the most of the processor - during decryption of the master key in the sync vault. The crash reports that we have received from your devices indicate that the crash is happening at a very low level in libdvm.so. This is the library that is responsible for the Dalvik Virtual Machine runtime (the default runtime on all versions of Android prior to Lollipop).

Given that Lollipop uses the new Android runtime (ART) - and that ART is more efficient than Dalvik in a number of ways - I was hoping that we might discover that the issue is resolved in ART. Unfortunately, switching to ART only managed to virtually brick my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 (it couldn't even get past the boot screen). It seems that the experimental version of ART that shipped with KitKat is unable to run on the Intel processor in the MeMO Pad. I'm hopeful that the version of ART that ships with Lollipop will be able to run on the device though, so I will be able to continue to test this possibility once I get a Lollipop image to load on it.

Coming back to the Dalvik runtime, it appears that the issue is at a much lower level than our code. Although we can't directly address any bugs or incompatibilities with Dalvik running on Intel hardware, it may be possible for us to optimize the decryption process to avoid this issue. This is something that we will need to continue to look into.

• Gort
    Gort
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. 1Password is set up to sync via Dropbox. Dropbox has fully synced. Load 1PW, it loads and starts to auto-sync, about 5 seconds later it crashes. I have sent in several crash reports today.

Device is a new to the market Dell Venue 8 7000 with an Intel SOC. I am new to Android and am going to try copying the vault over manually and see if it will run w/o syncing.

This discussion has been closed.