New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Zero2Cool
Zero2Cool
Community Member
edited August 2020 in Lounge
Hi agile Team,

are you planned a Linux (Ubuntu) Version from 1Password?

AgileBits Update, 4-Aug-2020:
I'm very excited to announce that there has been progress on this request. You can read more here:

1Password for Linux development preview

We'd love to hear from you over in our new Linux Development Preview forum category. :)

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:
Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hello Zero2Cool,

At this time we do not have plans to create 1Password for Linux, but we never say "never."

Consider taking advantage of 1PasswordAnywhere as many of our cross-platform users are doing. Also, we have lots of folks who run 1Password for Windows in WINE. This is not supported but, aside from the lack of browser integration in Linux, it runs about as well in Linux as Windows. :-)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers!
  • First, I would like to second the request for a native Linux version. Sure the Windows version runs in wine, but it's not very efficient and doesn't provide browser integration which is one of the main advantages of 1Password over the other password managers.

Second, the argument that "supporting infinite Linux platforms would be a nightmare" is 1) false, and 2) an uneducated remark (as in not knowing much about the subject rather than calling you an idiot). The majority of common Linux distributions in use are all based off of two main ones; Red Hat and Debian. The majority of "mainstream" Linux users will fall into using a distribution that is either those two, or based off of those two. Even then, the code base for both systems does not have to differ much, if at all. They are all running the same Linux kernel and have the same GUI API's available.

So that leaves the two main differences between Red Hat and Debian based systems: package managers and structure of system files. The good news is that most common Red Hat based distros use the same file structure and same RPM-based package manager as Red Hat; and most common Debian based distros use the same file structure and .deb-based (apt) package manager as Debian. This reduces the number of "platforms" needing support to only two rather than "infinite".

I imagine the above mentioned differences could be rather easily accommodated. The file structure differences might be approached by using variables in the code which are read/set from values in a configuration file that are set during the installation based on whether you are installing the RPM on a Red Hat based distro or the DEB on a Debian based distro. The two different package managers will simply require building the installer twice; once for RPM and once for DEB (or more likely 4 times to include x86 and x86_64 for each system). Still though, that is far from nightmarishly burdensome.

So again, I'd love to see 1Password come to Linux and give KeePassX a run for its money!

Thanks
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Welcome to the forum, vidkun!

Thanks for letting us know you would like to see Linux support as well. While I certainly can't promise anything, I think a more likely solution would be to develop "standalone" browser extensions by which I mean extensions that do not require the main application to function as they do on Mac and Windows platforms (even though "standalone browser extensions" sounds like an oxymoron to me since they depend on the browser). :lol:

The main issue I believe Brent was addressing was not one of "support" from a development perspective but support from a customer service perspective.

As you say, the browser extensions are "one of the main advantages of 1Password over the other password managers," so it may be wise to start there. Much of the development of our Chrome extension has been making the code more portable. It is not outside the realm of possibility that this will one day benefit Linux users regardless of their distributions' architecture or lineage.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • I tend to be a fan of the Linux community in the sense I'm a fan of feeding kids in Africa. I don't do it personally, but like to support it whenever possible.
    So, I too hope that we one day have something more than 1PasswordAnywhere for Linux. :)
  • gyre
    gyre
    Community Member
    +1 linux. fedora 14 in particular :)
  • gyre
    gyre
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Thanks for your feedback, gyre!

If we do release a version of 1Password for Linux, in whatever form it may be, we'll be aiming for a cross-distribution release, as much as possible, and given that Fedora is based on the Red Hat RPM architecture this shouldn't cause a problem, if we go for an actual desktop application rather than implementing a Linux compatible browser extension.

Thanks! :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

I switched from a variety of homebrew schemes, then password agent and lastpass to 1password, as you folks covered nearly all of my platforms... windows... ipad... iphone... in a great way. Unfortunately, being an old Unix person, I'm really missing C-\ to solve my password woes :)

-- gyre --
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I know it won't be too soon, but my dream is for cross-platform browser extensions. We have a way to go before this is possible, but Linux support would be a nice addition to the mix. :-)
  • Maurice Kelly
    Maurice Kelly
    Community Member
    Out of interest, is it possible to use the 1Password bookmarklet on a Linux machine or does a 1Password application (e.g. for Mac, for Windows, Touch, Touch Pro) have to be installed on the machine to make this work?

1PasswordAnywhere is great but it doesn't seem as convenient as the bookmarklet.

Cheers,

Maurice
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Maurice!

We were actually just discussing this a moment ago. What a coincidence! While the "1Password Logins" bookmarklet was designed for Mobile Safari, it seems to work well in WebKit-based browsers. You may even have luck with KHTML-based browsers (since that was the foundation of WebKit), but offhand I would try Google Chrome first since Safari is not available for Linux.

Be aware that copying and pasting the "URL" of the bookmarklet from Safari's bookmarks will truncate the code. You will need to export and then import into Chrome in Linux.

I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work, but please let me know how it turns out if you try it.

Cheers,
  • Maurice Kelly
    Maurice Kelly
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

We were actually just discussing this a moment ago. What a coincidence! While the "1Password Logins" bookmarklet was designed for Mobile Safari, it seems to work well in WebKit-based browsers. You may even have luck with KHTML-based browsers (since that was the foundation of WebKit), but offhand I would try Google Chrome first since Safari is not available for Linux.

<snippity>

I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work, but please let me know how it turns out if you try it.

Maybe I'm spying on you guys ;)

I can't actually try it myself as I'm not running Linux. I asked because I "gave" a copy of 1Password for Mac to a fellow Mac user as part of your Thanksgiving promotion. He says he wants to use it, but our employer is a PC shop by default so he can't use it conveniently in work. I've brought my own Mac into work, and he runs Linux on his work machine. If he can use the bookmarklet he may actually start using 1Password.

I'll get him to give it a go when I'm back in work.

Thanks for the response, and for the welcome!

Cheers,

Maurice
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Maybe I'm spying on you guys

:lol:

Thanks for the update. I don't have a Linux installation handy right now, but if you find success this could be very helpful for other Linux users.

Keep me posted. :-)
  • Maurice Kelly
    Maurice Kelly
    Community Member
    I've given this a go this morning - before trying it with Chrome on Linux I decided to first try exporting the 1Password bookmarklet from Safari, and then importing into Chrome on my Mac. Unfortunately I've had no success - I tried to achieve this by choosing File -> Export Bookmarks... which yielded a HTML file on my desktop. I went into Chrome, opened the Bookmark Manager and chose Organize -> Import Bookmarks.. which allowed me to import the HTML file that Safari had exported. Everything was fine but the bookmarklet was incomplete.

It stopped dead after the opening brace:
    javascript:var database={

Makes me think the import didn't like the quote marks (") that came next.

Cheers,

Maurice
  • Pazzie
    Pazzie
    Community Member
    I'm an owner of a 1Password for Windows license.
    Currently, I'm multibooting Windows 7 and several Linux distro's.

I read that the 1Password Logins bookmarklet is exclusive to Mac right now.

I would prefer a cross-platform browser extension, but if the bookmarklets are working on Linux, is it maybe possible to make this also available for 1Password for Windows users?

It stopped dead after the opening brace:
    javascript:var database={

Makes me think the import didn't like the quote marks (") that came next.

@Maurice: Maybe if you escape the quotes with a backslash.

This tutorial might also help you:
    http://mac.downloadatoz.com/tutorial/3284,1password-password-manager-and-form-filler.html
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Hm. Maurice, that is odd. I just double-checked since I hadn't used it in a very long time, but I am able to use the "1Password Logins" bookmarklet in Google Chrome for Mac 11.0.696.68 (the latest stable version) which I imported from Safari 5.0.5 using Chrome's "Import Data from Another Browser" feature. I suppose you could set up Chrome syncing to get the bookmarklet to your Linux machines if you can get it working like this.

20110516-na9reh1yesxtckm8rf89w1n9im.png

20110516-1pm7gshp2ipd1ts8ttx96ewx7h.png

Try importing in that fashion. Perhaps it makes a difference.

Pazzie, unfortunately, I don't know of any current plans to port the "1Password Bookmarklet" to the Windows version.

I would prefer a cross-platform browser extension

We all would, and we really appreciate your patience and support. I can't promise anything, but this is the most likely Linux solution in the future if/when we roll one out. I will absolutely keep you posted, but I don't have any time frame for anything at the moment.

Please let me know how it turns out, Maurice.
  • Maurice Kelly
    Maurice Kelly
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Please let me know how it turns out, Maurice.

That certainly brought the bookmarklet into Chrome on the Mac. I'll give it a go with my colleague tomorrow to see if the Chrome bookmarks work okay in Linux.

Cheers,

Maurice
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Awesome! I am anxiously awaiting the results.

Thanks for the updates.
  • gyre
    gyre
    Community Member
    I'm also eagerly awaiting the results of your investigation :)
  • gyre wrote:

I'm also eagerly awaiting the results of your investigation :)

I am too. However, i must say that I love your avatar!

• gyre
    gyre
    Community Member
    bswins wrote:

I am too. However, i must say that I love your avatar!

Thanks! A friend drew it on a sticky when I was out of my cube. I loved it so much I scanned it in :)
  • Well, I tried importing the Bookmarklet in Chrome 12 from Safari and it did _NOT_ work...
    As I am currently working on my macbook I can't test whether my ubuntu machine will be able to work with it.

However I am going to test this tomorrow on my desktop machine, having an Ubuntu 11.04 x86_64 installation on it.

I'd really appreciate another extension, at least for Firefox or Chrome.

Maybe you guys from Agilebits could use the so called JetPackSDK to access the Dropbox synced files?
    Meanwhile the SDK doesn't require you to write a whole extension on your own - there are pretty a lot of possibilities in here, that make extension programming a _lot_ faster than before.

If I could just get some kind of API documentation, I would also help myself with that step during my summer break after my Bsc in computer science, as I am really eagerly awaiting some kind of progress in linux compatible - 1password...

I think a little browser extension with e.g. support for Dropbox / filesystem access to a 1Pw file would help a lot of users :)
    Its the last program I truly miss on linux...

The 1PasswordAnywhere Function is quite okay, but nevertheless once you're comfortable with the Fill&Go Buttons (+Hotkeys) you would not like to miss it :>
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, webbi87!

While there are no concrete plans for Linux support at this time, I think the direction we are heading with the current JavaScript extensions — see our extensions for Chrome on the Mac and Safari 5.1 in Lion specifically — may give us much more freedom for portability. Again, I can't promise anything, but in some sense we are closer to Linux support being a reality than we ever have been. That doesn't mean we don't still have a long way to go, but moving to Chicago from Detroit technically makes you closer to Los Angeles if you know what I mean. :-)

Well, I tried importing the Bookmarklet in Chrome 12 from Safari and it did _NOT_ work...

Does it work on your Mac? Please be sure to follow my instructions above carefully and make sure it is working on your Mac before you sync it using Chrome's built-in sync service.

Thanks for your feedback here! It is good to know what sort of demand there is for Linux support. That can help us determine where it might fit into the development process if we fully pursue it.
  • Hello khad,

glad to hear that from you.
    However the Bookmarklet occured in Safari, I could not open it neither on my Mac nor in Google Chrome. Syncing it does not work either...
  • webbi87 wrote:

Hello khad,

glad to hear that from you.
    However the Bookmarklet occured in Safari, I could not open it neither on my Mac nor in Google Chrome. Syncing it does not work either...

Ok, sync works. In Safari I could use the Bookmarklet - in Chrome I am unable to use it.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If you are able to use the bookmarklet in Safari, then we can move to the next part. Let's take this one step at a time. :-)

In order to get the bookmarklet working in Chrome on your Mac you will need to use Chrome's "Import Data from Another Browser" feature as I described above.

20110516-na9reh1yesxtckm8rf89w1n9im.png

Import your Safari bookmarks into Chrome in OS X in this manner. Does that produce working results in Chrome on your Mac?
  • webbi87
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I got it working on Google Chrome 12 (latest version) on my Mac.

I try to resync now with my ubuntu workstation.

EDIT:

Yehaa, it works.

OSX: Use 1PW to add Bookmarklet to Safari -> Install Google Chrome on OSX , import Bookmarks using the "Extras -> Settings -> IMport Data from other browsers" feature of google chrome (tested with 12.X Version, latest on ubuntu + osx). Sync with your google account.

Ubuntu: Install google chrome on ubuntu, set up sync with your prior used google account. You will now get a functional bookmarklet under chrome on ubuntu.

Go to any site and click the bookmarklet, enter unlock key and you're done. Not comfortable like a native version, but it works flawlessly.

Great!

Anyhow: Please work on a real extension Agilebits staff ;)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Yehaa, it works.

(party)

Anyhow: Please work on a real extension Agilebits staff

Thanks for the vote again! I'm glad that the bookmarklet gives you a little taste in the meantime.

Cheers,
  • I installed the Windows version of 1Password in Ubuntu using Wine, and it works, after a fashion. The browser extensions didn't get added to the native browsers, and auto-type doesn't work, but at least I can manage passwords manually and use the copy/paste feature.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 with Oracle's VM VirtualBox under Windows XP. heh.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, ESCalation. Thanks for the additional confirmation. I haven't done it recently, but I used to run 1Password for Windows in WINE on OS X. Browser integration is obviously not currently possible in Linux with binary extensions, but basic functionality within the application itself (i.e., no extensions or auto-type, etc.) is all present and accounted for. :-)

We can't support such a configuration, but it works well in my experience. It sounds like it does for you as well.

Thanks for posting!
  • I eleventy double-secret the motion to create a browser plug-in that works with Linux (Debian/Ubuntu). Even if I can't load 1Password proper, the ability to access passwords via Firefox or Chrome in Ubuntu would mean I never have to hear the tinny "Chuuung" of Windows booting on my mobile netbook again. And that sound makes my teeth grind. Please make this happen.... The whole world is waiting.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Chasm23! Thanks for adding your vote for this. I can guarantee that it won't happen before Lion is released, but beyond that I couldn't possibly hazard a guess. Everything is a blut from now until then. :lol:

It's been a whirlwind around here. Thanks for the feedback, though. It really does help us to know what sort of demand there is for different features.

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.