New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Comments

• Ckhrysze
    Ckhrysze
    Community Member

I'd like to add a +1 as well. The majority of my computers are various flavors of linux, but I love 1Password on those that aren't.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement! Vote added.

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

Once upon a time, I asked for this as well. At the time, you guys didn't expect there'd be much interest. Well, you've obviously got a bit more of it now, so I'll chime in and mention that I'd still use it if it were available. x86_64 and arm, Debian-based. I use Ubuntu and Raspbian, both with LXDE.

Yeah, I'd totally use 1P on the Pi. Besides, if you've got it running on x86_64, the pi is just a cross-compile away. Also, I'd be willing to assist with packaging for Debian systems—realizing NDA would probably be required there. Unfortunately I haven't kept up with rpm-based stuff at all—I'm a long time away from being a Debian developer (though I've had recent exposure to the Debiany bits of non-trivial packages like SDL), and I never really did get the hang of writing spec files for non-Debian systems.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Your further follow up (or reminder as it were) is very helpful. Thanks, @tjcarter! I'll mention your kind offer to the developers as well. :)

• cbou
    cbou
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

Hi,

Is it possible to only use Linux with 1PasswordAnywhere?
    I don't find any download link for it.
    When I use 1PasswordAnywhere on my Mac I can't see any option to save new passwords. It this also a limitation of 1PasswordAnywhere?

Regards

Charles

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014

Hi @cbou‌,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. :)

1PasswordAnywhere is a read-only feature built-in to your 1Password vault. You will need to create the vault using 1Password for Mac, Windows, or iOS.

It sounds like you have already done that and successfully made use of 1PasswordAnywhere on your Mac. If not, you'll need to create a vault first.

Then you can follow the same steps in any modern browser to use 1Password. Try this on your Linux machine:

1. Log in to the Dropbox website: https://dropbox.com/
    2. Open the 1Password.html file inside 1Password.agilekeychain
    3. Enter your Master Password to unlock 1PasswordAywhere

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• cbou
    cbou
    Community Member

Hi,

it already works fine for me. I'm just thinking about extending 1Password to our whole company. We have people on Mac, Windows and Linux. So I'm searching how the workflow could be for people working 100% on Linux.

It sounds complicated for Linux to save or update passwords. Could this be done through a browser extension? Or does it also required an installed instance of a vault?

Regards

Charles

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Browser extensions do require a natively running app. 1Password for Windows runs under WINE, but we understand that is not ideal for all use cases and obviously does not allow for browser integration.

I'll add your vote for Linux support, though. We don't normally discuss future plans, but it certainly is becoming something that is requested more frequently with each passing day. :)

• cbou
    cbou
    Community Member

Ok thanks for your answers.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014

Happy to help! And, as an aside for you or anyone else coming across this thread in the future, it would be prudent to also link to Jeff's reply in post #3 here:

Dropbox 1PasswordAnywhere secure?

Have a wonderful week.

Cheers!

• dpjensen
    dpjensen
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

^:)^

• bgallagh3r
    bgallagh3r
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

I just made the switch from Windows 8 to Ubuntu on my home laptop only to find no support for Linux distros. This makes me sad as I had just signed up for the 1Password 4 beta for Windows before I made the switch. I still use it on my work computer and it's an integral part of my workflow. I really hope you guys reconsider building something for linux soon. I did see Ryan Gordon's open source project called 1pass but I haven't tried it myself.

Even if basic support for the browser extension were in place, and I could point it at the keychain in the dropbox instead of having 1password actually installed that in itself would make a world of difference for most linux users for now!

So a big +1 for me as well.

• Tommy Williams
    Tommy Williams
    Community Member

While I want 1password for my Linux systems, I hesitate for the briefest of moments before wanting to add my +1. I'll try to explain succinctly why.

I have and use 1password for storing all manner of non-password items that I want kept secure (ssh and gpg keys). Being able to access this data natively on my linux hosts would be all kinds of awesome. My hesitation stems from this awesomeness and gets down to the roots of old hat or advanced Linux users. While a GUI might be nice, I can only +1 a Linux version if there is a CLI that comes with it. Being able to manage attachments from the command line, or access credentials in a shared password database for logging into remote systems via a shell would be such a time saver.

A browser plugin might be nice, but for some of us, a CLI would completely and totally seal the deal. I can understand the hesitation to leap on development of a native Linux application for this reason alone. I wonder if perhaps the FOSS nature of the beast and/or the GPL are playing into your decision to pursue a native Linux application in any way.

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014

I'm using Linux so I think I'm qualified to comment on this :)

The current version of 1Password 4 for Windows Beta will work with the Chrome extension if you disable browser validation. Yes, it's still WINE and it still looks out of place, but it will save you the trouble of copy-pasting.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014

What I wrote above about browser extensions actually only applied to 1Password for Windows running under Wine on Linux at that time.

The current version of 1Password 4 for Windows will work with the Chrome extension if you disable VerifyCodeSignature in Wine's Windows registry. Yes, it's still Wine, and it still looks out of place, but it will save you the trouble of copy-pasting. :)

• cobyalmond
    cobyalmond
    Community Member

+1 for a Linux client. Given Ubuntu's impending push into mobile, I believe another potential audience could be well-served by this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Vote added. Thank you so much for taking the time, @cobyalmond‌. :)

• Andrei
    Andrei
    Community Member

+1 for Linux too (Mint)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Cheers! Thanks, @Andrei. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

The good news: this is the month that I migrate my mother-in-law off of XP and onto Xubuntu. :)

The bad news: this is the month that I migrate my mother-in-law off of 1Password and onto LastPass. :(

I wish it didn't have to be this way, but I'm her tech support guy and I am not interested in supporting a WINE kludge.

• Gyran
    Gyran
    Community Member

Until official support comes to Linux, you can checkout this chrome extension in the meantime that adds the ability to autofill logins on any platform:
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/22961/1passwordanywhere-extension

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Dear AgileBits folks—

Please take a look at what Gyran has done and see if it looks like it might form the basis for something that could be officially supported.

• pkkid
    pkkid
    Community Member

The current version of 1Password 4 for Windows Beta will work with the Chrome extension if you disable browser validation. Yes, it's still WINE and it still looks out of place, but it will save you the trouble of copy-pasting.

This is great news! I can't wait to try this out.

• pkkid
    pkkid
    Community Member

OK, Sorry I have to ask.. How do I disable browser validation in 1Password4 Beta?

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni

discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/104822/#Comment_104822 to disable browser validation. Execute wine regedit from a command line to start up the registry editor

• pkkid
    pkkid
    Community Member

@Philippe-AG - Thanks got everything up and running. It works great, super glad we have this now!!

Does look funky tho, as you mentioned. You are moving away from the web based interface to a native OS one?

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

How does one get the 1P/Win beta? It is not available on the download page.

• ATX
    ATX
    Community Member

+1 for Linux. Since Heartbleed I and some folks of mine are looking for a cross platform pw storage. Since we use Ubuntu on a daily basis we would appreciate if you consider support at least, for debian.

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member

Yeah. I've already posted here before but I'd like to reaffirm my interest for 1Password on Linux.

My primary use of Windows is just for gaming, and with more developers (spearheaded by Valve's effort on gaming for Linux, partly through the Steam Machines and Steam OS initiative) making games that have support for Linux, I will probably no longer use Windows in the long-term.

Running 1Password (for me) on Windows seems a bit dodgy as well. Would rather not have my passwords compromised due to running the app (with its database) on Windows, while on Linux, it is more safer.

• liconutowas
    liconutowas
    Community Member

Hey @Philippe-AG , are you referring to Chrome running in WINE or to native Linux Chrome running?

This discussion has been closed.