New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• jhorsman
    jhorsman
    Community Member
    Options

+1 here too. Only thing I am missing that I would love to see.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @jhorsman‌

• hwenzel
    hwenzel
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a Linux Version (OPENsuse).
    1Password and a texteditor (Papyrus) are the only applications still on wine. Unfortunately I wasn't able to mangage the registry hacks and other workarounds in order to get the browser extension running in Firefox.
    Official support for a linux version would be great.

• marcosus
    marcosus
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux support!

• randomcoolzip
    randomcoolzip
    Community Member
    Options

I use 1Password daily on Mac, Android, and iOS, and it has saved my bacon over and over again. I now regard a password manager as a basic necessity for getting along in today's digital world. I am planning to switch to Linux for my family's basic computing needs when our aging Macbooks finally give out, and possibly before. Unfortunately I just discovered that 1Password does not have a native Linux version. I love 1Password's browser integration and ability to securely store not just logins, but also free-form information. But when I switch to Linux I will need to both retrieve existing passwords and create new ones from Linux, since I do not expect to continue having either Mac or Windows computers around. That means I will either need a native Linux version of 1Password, or the Windows version running under Wine will have to work acceptably. Failing either of those, I will have to switch to another password manager, possibly KeePass. I will probably go with either Mint or Ubuntu for a Linux distribution.

So add my vote for a native Linux implementation of 1Password!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@randomcoolzip I'm running 1Password for Windows on WINE under Mint 17.1 and it mostly works. There's a couple of niggles, the most annoying being lack of Ctrl+\ support (you have to click the toolbar button in the browser) but they are work-aroundable. :)

• bortone
    bortone
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a Linux Version (Ubuntu)

• bortone
    bortone
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for 1Password for Linux. You've made a great software but this limitation is annoying. I think this is one of the reasons a lot of people decide not to buy 1Password. Despite the ease of use (on Windows and Mac) I thought a lot before buying it just because of this limitation.

• saad
    Options

Thank you for your feedback. I added your vote for native Linux support.

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@bortone As far as i know, Lastpass is the only multiplatform solution that works but it entirely relies on the cloud. There's also Keepass 2 but you have to install Mono and there are bugs or you can use KeepassX although the most recent version is still in alpha stage.

So that "limitiation" is quite common for almost any competitor of 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the votes. I've merged the two Linux threads together so we can track them more easily. :)

• peri
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thanks for the info @J.M! That's good to know.

• TeamBodee
    TeamBodee
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a Linux Version (Ubuntu)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks!

• manowar
    manowar
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a linux version

• jasonhuck
    jasonhuck
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a linux version!!!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the votes folks.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I recently read that, on the basis of web usage, Linux accounts for no more than 1.5% of traffic. If that's a useful piece of data, I wonder if that explains why there isn't a dedicated application for that? I wouldn't bother either, if I were a developer interested in selling my software.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth‌ because total web traffic is not the target market. If you're writing a Candy Crush clone then sure, I wouldn't bother supporting Linux. By its nature, 1Password is will not appeal to most of the web population because they don't understand that there's a problem with the way they're doing it now.

I'm sure Agilebits what love to sell to these people, but I doubt that's going to happen without some serious education effort. Since they don't tend to read technical articles, the best way to educate is through techie friends and relatives. It would be far more interesting to see the percentage of Linux use amongst the more technical people in world.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Incidentally, supporting Linux doesn't have to mean a completely new product. I can think of two methods, off the top of my head:

1) Write a .Net Windows client and then port to Mono. The Mono port shouldn't need much tweaking, and if they're really lucky then the tweaks could be automated.

2) Write it in C++ and use a GUI library like QT that is platform agnostic but can use native UI controls to retain platform dependent look and feel.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Good point regarding web traffic as an indicator of installed base. So thanks for that reminder, @RichardPayne‌. How does a developer gauge a possible market?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Difficult without spending money.
    To be fair though, web usage stats from the agilebits.com site would be a better metric. Someone who hits their site is likely to at least be in the market for a password manager.

• circa1977
    circa1977
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!

I've been a happy 1Password user on iOS and OS X for a few years now.

I'm looking at getting an Ubuntu system on my desktop full-time. I actually installed LastPass on OS X today so that I could make the switch to something that will work on both OSes. It's a mess. Please provide desktop support for Ubuntu/Linux!!!!

Mark

• Ben
    Options

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the +1. Have you read through this thread to see how you can use 1Password on Linux as-is?

• circa1977
    circa1977
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply, @bwoodruff!

I do understand that 1Password can run on Ubuntu through Wine.

Are there any posts in the thread that stand out to you as covering all the features/issues?

I.e., are browser extensions (Firefox) supported in that scenario? Will 1Password running through Wine support wi-fi synch with my iPhone?

Mark

• Ben
    Options

Hi @circa1977‌

The Ctrl+\ keyboard shortcut does not work but the browser extensions, in general, do.

I don't know about WiFi sync... But Dropbox should work fine. If you decide to try it please let us know!

Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer for you. Thanks.

Ben

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

But Dropbox should work fine.

It does. Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone to test wi-fi sync against.

• circa1977
    circa1977
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne‌ Thanks for the reply! Does the Firefox extension work correctly? For generating/saving/logging in? That's crucial.

• Ben
    Options

It does, with the exception of the keyboard shortcut.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Confirmed.

This discussion has been closed.