New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Comments

• @jeanfred That does sound correct, yes. Thanks for taking the time to compile that. I think the main limitation you'll find with using the web interface is the lack of browser extensions.

Ben

• teamnoir
    teamnoir
    Community Member

The web site isn't available from behind play pens. I can carry my vault around with me, but without a means to access it, it's useless.

Also, the wine solution isn't supported. And I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a windows license for anything.

And a brief reminder that we used to be able to access our vaults from any browser. 1PasswordAnywhere. And some of us need that functionality. It solves many of these problems.

http://www.howtogeek.com/244163/how-to-use-1password-on-any-computer-no-installation-required

• And a brief reminder that we used to be able to access our vaults from any browser. 1PasswordAnywhere. And some of us need that functionality. It solves many of these problems.

We have a fairly extensive thread on that subject here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere

All of the major browsers realized that allowing a web page (even one running locally) to access your local file system in the way that 1PasswordAnywhere did was a bad idea for security (and it is). So they shut that door. And that was the first major nail in 1PasswordAnywhere's coffin. After that the only practical way to use it was via Dropbox. And then Dropbox decided to stop supporting it as well. And that was the final nail.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I'm just adding my vote of customer interest. I'm investigating switching from LastPass, and so far love the 1Password apps... but Linux support is a necessity for me.

• Thanks @andschwa!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@glenda: Thanks for letting us know! It sounds like perhaps there might be others in your organization who are in the same boat. Perhaps we'll be able to offer a native app for you someday!

• feral_cat
    feral_cat
    Community Member

+1 for this. We have several team members who would love a terminal-based linux & BSD supported version. No need for GUI.

• Thanks for letting us know that would help, @feral_cat!

Ben

• ilsa
    ilsa
    Community Member

Hi,

I would like to add my vote to desiring a Linux version. I don't even necessarily need the browser extensions... just the base app would be sufficient for me. It's at the point now where I am losing patience and have starting to look at alternatives to 1password. The only thing that has prevented me from switching is that the alternatives are missing other critical functionality, such as support for multiple vaults.

But lack of linux support, and lack of support for anything besides dropbox, is becoming more and more frustrating. It seems that Agilebits has become obsessed with cloudifying itself, and has forgotten why their 1password product had been best-in-class for so long, and other companies are starting to smell the whiffs of opportunity.

• Hi @ilsa,

Thank you for the feedback. If we were to develop a Linux product it is unlikely that we would have a solution in the very near future. Such a thing would be a fairly large undertaking, and as such finding the right team to do it, getting them up to speed, and then actually going through the development cycle is not something that would happen in short order.

We do not plan, at this time, to offer additional sync methods. We already offer WLAN Server, iCloud, and syncing via Dropbox, in addition to Folder Sync for advanced users which enables folks to roll their own sync solution using most any sync provider/tool. That is in addition to the services we offer through 1Password.com. We certainly haven't ruled out the idea of adding support for other 3rd party sync providers, but it isn't on the radar at this time.

I don't say this to discourage you, but I do want to be up front about our current priorities. I don't want to mislead you into thinking that the answers to either of your concerns will be able to be delivered in the short term. They are certainly things we would consider for the long term.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for.

Ben

• ilsa
    ilsa
    Community Member

Thank you. I didn't know about the arbitrary folder sync mechanism. That's definitely helpful. But I think you may want to consider something for linux, even if it's just a command line tool, because with the way Microsoft is butchering Windows, many people are now starting to eye Linux as a possible alternative.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

Does the web version of 1Password work in Chrome on Linux?

• poldridge
    poldridge
    Community Member

I just did a comparison of LastPass, RoboForm and 1Password, and LastPass ended up winning, because it has the best cross-platform support. There were several other areas where 1Password seemed to outperform LastPass, but those are all pointless if you can't even use it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Does the web version of 1Password work in Chrome on Linux?

@pervel: Indeed it does! I use it there myself.

But I think you may want to consider something for linux, even if it's just a command line tool

@ilsa: It's definitely something that we'll continue to discuss. Here's hoping!

those are all pointless if you can't even use it.

@poldridge: You're absolutely right. I'm personally glad to have the 1Password.com web interface now for exactly this reason, but I can appreciate that this isn't sufficient for everyone.

• danielfahy
    danielfahy
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Would love to have this on linux. I dev on a Mac at work and am just lost when i get home without it.

More than happy to beta it or contribute

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Would love to have this on linux. I dev on a Mac at work and am just lost when i get home without it. More than happy to beta it or contribute

@danielfahy: Indeed, thanks for letting us know! I can imagine that if we build a Linux app we'll be excited to share it here and get feedback! :)

• ilsa
    ilsa
    Community Member

I just discovered another password management app called enpass. Not sure how good the encryption is, but it supports linux, and even blackberry. The single biggest downside is no support (yet) for multiple vaults, and that's an even bigger killer for me than 1password's lack of linux support.

Incidentally, Slashdot just reported that the number of linux desktop users have now exceeded 2%. I didn't look at the article in depth, but hopefully this contributes to a business case for 1password on linux.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, interesting. I don't think that market share makes much of a difference when we're keeping pretty busy with the platforms 1Password already supports, but when we're in a position to add another in the future it's certainly something we'll take into account. Thanks for letting us know you want a native Linux app! :)

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Speaking about market share.

Technically savvy linux users are likely to champion your services to friends and family. You might find that we represent a greater user base than just ourselves that are worth targeting.

So people like myself who use linux (ubuntu specifically) are trying to convince their whole family to switch to 1password for families but it becomes much harder when we can't access it ourselves.

So my one vote actually translates into at least 7 votes for potential users, possibly even more for extended family.

I'd be happy if we could just run v6 through wine.

• @rs_saunders I responded to your post in another thread about this, so let's keep the conversation going there for now. :)

• tdegroot96
    tdegroot96
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Would really appreciate linux support as well. Toggl for example, has their desktop client open sourced, in Github: https://github.com/toggl/toggldesktop. It's available for OSX, Windows and a wide variety of Linux distributions. Even if someone has some edgy kind of distribution, they could just compile the client theirselves and fix the bugs if it's not working on their distribution.

By looking at the age of this thread, I don't think a native Linux client will be out before 2017/2018. What ARE your plans, though? Are you going to release a more robust browser extension? Please be honest to us, instead of telling us you "Appreciate it that we want a native Linux client".

You're really missing the boat by blindedly creating a brand new desktop app without cross platform compatibility these days, even if you want to integrate the OS user interface with your app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tdegroot96: As stated previously, the honest truth is that we don't currently have plans for a Linux app. We're keeping pretty busy with the 5 platforms we already support (that's including web!) But when we're ready to take on a new challenge in the future, we'll absolutely consider Linux.

• Dylaner
    Dylaner
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

You know, if you had a public API I would make a Linux client for you. (Well, for me, mostly, but it would be open source). That is how dire the need is here :)

My work has started using your service. We manage a lot of passwords, and I prefer to develop on Linux. (Like a lot of web developers). Unfortunately, the web client is not very good at managing lots of passwords, so I really miss what we had before. (Which is insane, because what we had before was terrible). It would make me all kinds of happy if I could just take some time to solve this properly, and it's really disappointing that I can't.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dylaner: I don't think that's a likely route we'd take, but we'll keep your offer in mind. :)

• zfil
    zfil
    Community Member

Add me on the list as well.
    I'd love to have a solution besides the web app for linux, even if it is just a chrome extension that connects to 1password.com ...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2016

Thanks @zfil!

@Dylaner one difficulty with that approach is that we cannot in good conscience recommend anyone type their Master Password into anything that isn't 1Password. Even if such a utility were to be made open source, as things stand, we would not be able to recommend its use. We do appreciate the offer though!

Ben

• joshuap
    joshuap
    Community Member

I've been a 1Password customer on Mac for at least 5-6 years, I think. I've recommended it to most people I know at some point. I want native Linux too. So much in fact that I recently switched to KeePass (yuck). Full cross-platform support is really important to me. Maybe you all should look at something like Electron. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry that we don't currently have the resources to develop, test, and support an additional platform, but Electron is interesting and could potentially be useful if we decide to go that route in the future. Thanks for letting us know Linux is important to you!

• fredrikl
    fredrikl
    Community Member

+1! Another Linux user here. Wine works, but you get some weird errors sometimes, a small window that opens up hidden and is just black for the background task etc. Also, performance it has to wait a few seconds to find stuff in my large 1P db, which is just annoying (not as annoying as logging in to 1P online and copy paste....)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fredrikl: Ah, yes. You're right that Wine seems to create a "phantom window" for the Helper (Agile1PAgent.exe). Not sure if there's any way around that. 1Password 4 isn't as optimized for performance as we'd like, and I don't imagine that Wine helps in this regard either. Performance is one of our priorities in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, and perhaps down the road we can develop a native Linux app as well. Thanks for your interest!

This discussion has been closed.