New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• adamlogan
    adamlogan
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

34 pages o_O. I do agree that the windows version does feel dated. I hope that as more people jump on the 1Pass bandwagon and Windows gets it's touch-up, that you can devote a team to Linux. TBH I think you'll find more people willing to join with cross-platform support even if the cake looks like the leaning tower of Pisa lol.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. As much as we'd love to offer another product that you and the other good folks here would appreciate, we really don't want to neglect our existing commitments. As we continue to grow and also mature our offerings across current platforms, we'll see we can branch out more. :)

• looselyrigorous
    looselyrigorous
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello again,

Been a few months, thought I'd check in once more to vouch. My hackbook is still running like a champ so I don't have immediate need for this but I'm still very much interested in a native Linux client.

I would argue that nowadays it's much easier to make a client that covers a wide range of Linux distros, when you have things like AppImage, Flatpak and Snapcraft.

Pick your poison, really:
    http://appimage.org/
    http://flatpak.org/
    http://snapcraft.io/

Edit: Totally forgot, Happy new year!

• pazustep
    pazustep
    Community Member
    Options

I'll add my voice here. At the very least, the 1password browser extension should be able to work in a standalone mode, without a locally installed application.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@looselyrigorous: Happy new year to you too! Definitely exciting, but I'd still argue that there's a difference between just doing something and doing it well. It's great to have options though! :)

P.S: I'd love to see pictures of the hackbook! Would you post some in a new Lounge discussion? :)

@pazustep: While this isn't possible currently since there's a ton of logic that would need to be rearchitected to be self contained in the extension (and hopefully perform reasonably well), it's certainly something we'd like to do in the future. It would help not only Linux folks, but those using ChromeOS and others, or that just can't or prefer not to install the app. :)

• pazustep
    pazustep
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty we've got the 1Password Web already, so hopefully the standalone application isn't that far away, right? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pazustep: Oh man, if only it were that simple! As I'm sure you know, 1Password.com is pretty cool. Who'd have thought one day we'd be using 1Password in our browsers to edit our data? I mean, certainly this didn't seem possible when 1Password started. Anyway, it is still very limited in a significant way: no integration for saving/filing. This is the thing that the 1Password browser extensions are most known for, but the app actually does most of the work because it's the one with the "Brain".

So while 1Password.com existing is a big help when it comes to being able to get the data from somewhere without an app installed, the real challenge is to make the extension as smart as the app so it doesn't need it anymore...and without bloating your browser and slowing down to a crawl. So while it's something we'd very much like ourselves, it's a significant challenge and a lot of work. Hopefully we'll be able to do that in the future though.

• dtougas
    dtougas
    Community Member
    Options

I am a software developer who is increasing in discontent towards Apple and their consumer/prosumer direction at the expense of professionals. The Mac I use right now will likely be the last one for my professional work, as I am in the process of migrating my workflow to Linux. I know I am not the only one who is finding themselves in this position. I see articles now almost daily now about how developers are becoming disgruntled with Apple.

One big piece of the puzzle for me is 1Password, one of my favourite pieces of software. While I am a very satisfied user, I am becoming less happy. One of the huge selling points of 1Password for my was the ability to control my own data. Now I have signed-up for another cloud service (yuck), for my most sensitive data (yuck), which means another monthly subscription cost (yuck), and none of the great features I use so often every day :-(

This short rant is my vote for a Linux client :-)

• Ben
    Options

Hey @dtougas! Thanks for letting us know your perspective on this. Would you mind sharing what features you were missing from your 1Password.com account:

and none of the great features I use so often every day :-(

Feel free to start a new thread in the Accounts section so we're not derailing this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/accounts

This short rant is my vote for a Linux client :-)

Noted! Thanks. :)

Ben

• ianosh
    ianosh
    Community Member
    Options

I have to second @dtougas thoughts here! I use DropBox for sync, which works great between my Mac (being sunsetted) and my Linux (being built)

Given that there is a good description of the .opvault format (it's here https://support.1password.com/opvault-design/ for the records) would it be possible to also have an idea on how the protocol used between the browser extension and 1Password, so maybe someone can throw around an open source implementation...

In https://support.1password.com/mini-extension-security/ you say the protocol is still in Flux, but I hope that by now things are a bit more solidified????

It might not be PERFECT, but for sure it'd be a nice side project - and allow me not to switch to something else!

• dtougas
    dtougas
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben It's not so much what is missing from the 1Password.com account as what is missing from the desktop when all I have is the website. I spend most of my time using either the browser extension or 1Password Mini, neither of which will work in a Linux environment.

• rrapstine
    rrapstine
    Community Member
    Options

I apologize if this has been suggested and refuted before, but why not wrap the web interface using something like Electron and distribute that to Linux? Is it as ideal as native? Not by a long shot. Still, it would give Linux a working desktop app with offline access to our passwords, which would hold most of us over until you could find the bandwidth to develop a truly native implementation.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

@rrapstine, what would wrapping the web interface achieve that cannot already be achieved by using the web interface directly?

• rrapstine
    rrapstine
    Community Member
    Options

@pervel, notably offline access to your information. It isn't quite as simple as "wrapping the interface", but since Electron uses web technologies to create cross platform desktop applications, it would be a quick fix until a native client can be created.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

@rrapstine, I suppose offline access could be useful. Though my sense is that what most people are looking for is the browser extensions for Linux. That would still be unsolved until they either fully port the client or make the browser extension independent of the client.

• rrapstine
    rrapstine
    Community Member
    Options

@pervel, Unfortunately, you are correct about the extension. I agree that I often miss that feature when on my Linuxbox, but for me at least, it is almost as convenient to open the app and do a quick search. I may be an edge case though because I use a lot of secure applications that aren't in the browser.

What about creating a public API that developers could then use to create said browser extension? Yes, there would be no way to monitor or audit their intentions, but I like to believe that not every developer is up to no good. Then again, if we had an offline desktop client, which of course would sync with the online vaults, then a plugin could be written that only accessed the information stored locally on the machine. If you added a new password, the plugin would pass it to the app, which would take care of syncing it with the online vault. It's hacky, but it is still faster than building a native client.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ianosh: An "extension protocol" wouldn't be of much use, since the "Brain" for 1Password's browser integration is in the app itself.

@rrapstine: We'd need to make so many changes to the web interface to be able to function in that capacity that, at that point, we might as well just write a native app. Likewise, a "public extension API" would be pretty useless without a native app to power it. And it feels like any efforts spent in those areas might be better used to build something native for Linux. Only time will tell.

• ianosh
    ianosh
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty too bad... it'd still be nice to know how the protocol looks like, maybe there's some untapped goodness somewhere!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ianosh: Perhaps, but since it isn't something we've designed to be public, we very much take advantage of the freedom to change things as needed -- for example when we introduced mutual authentication, which we've made several more changes to since then. Maybe someday. ;)

• ianosh
    ianosh
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty ... then the only option for us on Linux for now is to start from the .opvault... Sounds like a fun challenge!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha indeed. :chuffed:

• sstallion
    sstallion
    Community Member
    Options

I've been an ardent user of 1Password since version 3 came out. I have to admit; I've watched this thread for quite some time with deepening disappointment. I received a notice from Enpass yesterday that they finally have a Beta available which adds support for attachments. Combined with existing support for Windows, Linux, and macOS (not to mention TOTP) this is finally moving me away from 1Password.

I hope someone from AgileBits pays attention; having equivalent access to a password database from any host OS or mobile device is no longer a nice to have, it's a requirement. Being forced to use 1Password 4 through Wine should be an embarrassment and it still puzzles me that this is the suggested solution.

I appreciate the work the team has put into an excellent product, but it has become clear that the esteem I once held for 1Password is no longer reciprocated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sstallion: We're definitely paying attention, and the comments from everyone here are something we'll take into account as we develop 1Password in the future. We love you and the rest of our awesome customers, and so we believe that you should use the tool that best fits your needs. I'm sorry that you've moved to Linux and 1Password hasn't, but perhaps that can change in the future.

• Borz
    Borz
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty At the moment, for me, more or less working version - 4.6.1.617, because only, which is installed under Wine without problems and which can be more or less work.
    MSI does not want to be installed, so I chose an affordable version of EXE installer.

And even in such a "battered" as it is more comfortable to me than the same Keepass :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Borz: Indeed, version 6 depends on Microsoft's latest .Net runtime, and so far there's no facility for that to work on Linux. But that's not to say that it couldn't work in the future, and it may be something we explore ourselves once the new app is mature. I know it isn't ideal, but I'm glad to hear that 1Password 4 is working for you at least!

• anvilcrawler
    anvilcrawler
    Community Member
    Options

I joined the forum just to throw in my support for a linux app in this 7 year old thread. I abandoned Windows when Mac OSX was released and have now loaded a debian distros on my two Mac Book Pro's (2013 & 2015) after OSX has become so bloated and the release of the 2016 MBP's I've lost interest. As a 1Password user for the last 4 years I'm disappointed that v6 won't run under Wine. You already have a BSD like environment with Mac so a basic port shouldn't require a herculean effort but as an engineering leader I understand business priorities and the VAST swath of sad Windows marketshare you need to capture.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@anvilcrawler: Thanks for letting us know where you're coming from. Right now our priority is our existing platforms, and getting the new Windows app to where we want it to be in particular. But we love hearing from folks on Linux, and we've got some Linux fans here too. ;)

• peter_1pswd
    peter_1pswd
    Community Member
    Options

Please add support for Linux. 1Password is currently the only reason which prevents me from switching from OS X to Debian :(
    @brenty Is someone already working on Linux support?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@peter_1pswd: I know it's something we've explored from time to time, and will continue to do so, but, as mentioned previously, it isn't something we have the resources to devote to right now. We've got our hands full with our existing platforms — especially Windows and web right now. But that will almost certainly shift in the future, so there may be an opportunity there in time. Cheers! :)

• kuon
    kuon
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love to see a linux client as well.

I understand your resource might be limited. To work around this, you might consider creating public APIs to 1Password for team, and let other developer create clients for platform you don't support.

This discussion has been closed.