New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• SoftAllan
    SoftAllan
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for making sure 1password works so well and smooth on a browser like Crome in Linux! I have no issues at all using the browser to get to my vaults.

One vote for a native Linux has already been casted from me years back... can I do it again? ;) ... but I am wondering why the need for ranting here. Is it that hard to copy and paste from a browser? I do it all the time and it is quite satisfying that you don't have to remember or even know your password at all even if you are using Linux. I am also a developer and like many of you have lot of places that require my passwords both in working an private situations. And I have vaults to handle that just fine in my Family account.

What I don't understand is the "If you can do this I'm off to..." statements all the time. I really believe that the good guys at 1Password.com has got the picture and it is not helping throwing in insults either. Try to keep a cool and easy tone in here, please. Hope I have done that myself right now :) In other words. Keep it down here! So I can get back to sleep and dream of a native Linux app for 1Password.

Oh. Did I mention that I would like to vote for a native Linux app for 1Password?

Now don't get me wrong! I do see the benefit of having an auto-do-it-for-me-because-i-am-lasy-as-h...-fill browser extension but what where your options before? As long as I can remember I have been using passwords since the early days of the internet. Nothing new about that. Multiple text files at floppy disk here and there trying to sync them... oh, been there done that.

BTW I have a great idea! Can we have a native Linux application for our 1Password vaults. I think it could result in quite a lot of happy customers if that was to be made. Not sure, though. Just a hunch.

Well. My own rant is over. Hope you take this in the right spirit :)

• kutenai_id
    kutenai_id
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a Native Linux app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kutenai_id: Thanks for letting us know! :)

@SoftAllan: While there isn't an official "voting" process, we appreciate hearing that you're still interested in a native Linux client — and that you're enjoying the web interface in the mean time. And thanks for the "rant"! I hope we'll be able to make your dreams come true in the future. :lol:

• flindet
    flindet
    Community Member
    Options

Long time 1Password for Mac user here. Never once had a use for it in Windows. I've been irritated and disappointed since day one at the lack of a GNU/Linux client. PLEASE create a Linux client. I keep debating switching products due to lack of Linux support, but it's a real shame because I've been so happy with 1Password on my Mac and iPhone.

Anyway, just wanted to add my voice to make sure AgileBits realizes there is indeed a long-standing desire for a Linux client. I'm actually shocked we're not developing in something more cross platform.

And yeah, while I trust you guys, I'm not in love with trusting all my passwords out to your servers somewhere. We need a proper client, not a web page. Some of this stuff is just too sensitive to roll the dice with. Sorry.

• sj26
    sj26
    Community Member
    Options

Long time 1Password user here. I love and use daily 1Password for Mac and iOS, have 1Password Families personally and 1Password Teams for work, and have been very impressed by 1Password for Windows on my secondary gaming machine.

Like many folks I'm getting a little disillusioned with Apple's product direction and considering exiting the ecosystem in favour of Linux and Android. One of the things holding me back is 1Password. I know I can use it in the browser with Families and Teams, but it's not nearly the same.

I'd love to see a 1Password for Linux. Even just a simple 1Password Mini for browser integration to avoid dealing with the complexities of GTK vs Qt, etc. If you get around to writing a client I'd be smitten and love to test it out.

• firebeyer
    firebeyer
    Community Member
    Options

I totally agree @sj26, but I'm sure the fear is that's just one more thing that needs to be supported if they go down that path. Also it might be able to start as just a simple 1Password Mini, but then the masses will want more and more.

• sj26
    sj26
    Community Member
    Options

Well I suspect the long term vision for 1Password might be reducing the platform clients to merely a cross-platform secure bridge to the browser context with a thin platform wrapper, and consolidate the management interface into 1password.com, or perhaps even remove the plartform bridge and have browser extensions talking directly to 1password.com So maybe Linux support will be more feasible at that point.

In any case, I hope some form of Linux support comes soon!

• firebeyer
    firebeyer
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'm right there with you brother, I am very disappointing in the way Apple has been designing their OS and apps lately. I don't use it very often but I open up iTunes and I feel like I can't find anything, which is super depressing as an IT professional.

Why when I open TextEdit do I have to save the file instead of just jotting something down real quick?

Why the heck is the option for default browser in System Preferences but to change your default mail reader you need to go into the mail app?

I could go on forever I feel like..... all the while Linux has gotten a lot better since I was running SuSE 7.3 back in the day.

/rant

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@flindet: Thank you for your feedback! Always good to hear where there's interest. Also, bonus points for "GNU/Linux". ;)

I'd love to see a 1Password for Linux. Even just a simple 1Password Mini for browser integration to avoid dealing with the complexities of GTK vs Qt, etc. If you get around to writing a client I'd be smitten and love to test it out.

@sj26: Thanks for letting us know! If we go either route, we'll be glad to have beta testers. :)

I'm right there with you brother, I am very disappointing in the way Apple has been designing their OS and apps lately. I don't use it very often but I open up iTunes and I feel like I can't find anything, which is super depressing as an IT professional.

@firebeyer: I feel the same way about iTunes. I just assumed it was because I'm getting old. :tongue:

Why when I open TextEdit do I have to save the file instead of just jotting something down real quick?

As an old-school computer user, that rings true. I'm slowly adjusting to just closing the app so I can resume the state next time I launch it. Makes things easier for me at least.

Why the heck is the option for default browser in System Preferences but to change your default mail reader you need to go into the mail app?

I'm glad that default browser setting has finally moved out of Safari, but yeah it seems like the same needs to happen for default mail client.

I could go on forever I feel like..... all the while Linux has gotten a lot better since I was running SuSE 7.3 back in the day.

Ha! Slackware was my first love. Brings back memories.

Anyway, believe me, creating a standalone extension wouldn't be simple. 1Password mini is actually part of the app (confusing, to say the least), so we're able to offload a lot of the functionality (and therefore coding complexity) from the extension. We've actually been moving further away from the browser over time, so rearchitecting would be a substantial undertaking. Nevertheless, I hope we can do that someday, as it would help a few key use cases — especially now that 1Password.com exists. But then again I'm probably not the one who would have to do the work. :lol:

• dqvid
    dqvid
    Community Member
    Options

FFS! 1Password for Linux already!
    1. I have to work on several different platforms
    2. I don't want to use LastPass or "1PasswordAnywhere"…
    3. I don't trust service-hosted safes, they're honeypots for hackers.
    4. Go down in SAAS history as the service that never got massively hacked, it'll happen to LastPass, *not if, but when…".

There are more and more alternatives to 1Password… please don't make me jump ship, I've been a customer early on – this is the one issue I'm not happy about, and I'm certain I'm not alone.
    Thanks.

• kutenai_id
    kutenai_id
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - 1Password web interface is not a great choice if you have multiple team accounts, as I do..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty - 1Password web interface is not a great choice if you have multiple team accounts, as I do..

@kutenai_id: Ah, indeed. I've got several myself, and while using different browsers/windows/tabs works, it can get unwieldy. I think there's room for improvement there on a number of levels, not just with regard to Linux, but that's a really good point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

There are more and more alternatives to 1Password… please don't make me jump ship, I've been a customer early on – this is the one issue I'm not happy about, and I'm certain I'm not alone. Thanks.

@dqvid: Likewise, thanks for adding your voice, and for being so passionate about 1Password! It sounds like we'd all be happier if you kept using it, so hopefully we'll be able to grant your wish that we support another new platform in the future. It helps to know that in your case that's Linux. And I did want to address one other thing you mentioned:

I don't trust service-hosted safes, they're honeypots for hackers.

Fortunately 1Password.com is designed with this in mind: when customers use 1Password.com to sync and store their data, all we ever receive is an encrypted blob. And since no one is actually trusting us (we don't trust ourselves to be in that position either) with the keys to their data (the Account Key and Master Password are used to encrypt it locally on your device, and these are never transmitted), hackers can't access customer data by breaking into the server. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have! :)

• oLo
    oLo
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have anything new from what everyone else has been saying.

I also doubt I will here anything new from the devs either.

Nonetheless, I hope my vote counts for the Linux platform.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oLo: Thanks for letting us know! In case you missed it (likely, since it's still early), we're working on a CLI app that will run on Linux (and other platforms). Not much to say at this stage, but once it's ready for beta we'll be happy to share it with you. Cheers! :)

• oLo
    oLo
    Community Member
    Options

Great news!

Thanks for the heads up.

Looking forwards to testing the beta release.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise! :) :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Holy crap awesome news! I want to try ubuntu again and learn some stuff.

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member
    Options

That is great news! Thank you for listening to the community. I'll be hoping to beta test this too :)

• L0j1k
    L0j1k
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

FFS please help! I need to GTFO(ff) of LastPass immediately after the ridiculous news yesterday, and I haven't booted a Windows box since 2003, and the only thing in a Mac I know how to use is FreeBSD. Please help. CLI utility, ugly Chrome extension, whatever you've got working with Linux, I'll take it. Just please bail us out of LastPass!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I need to GTFO(ff) of LastPass immediately after the ridiculous news yesterday

What news? That Tavis Ormandy found a security leak? He did find one for 1Password some time ago as well.

I think it's inevitable that security researchers will find these kind of issues now and then. What's important is how companies handle them. I think LastPass and AgileBits have both been doing well on that front.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting: Travis reported 2 issues in LastPass in less than 48 hours...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rs_saunders, @L0j1k: Thank you so much for your interest! We're looking forward to having something to share with you once it's ready. :)

@XIII: I couldn't agree more. It's so important that anyone using the internet for anything important uses a password manager, and when something like this happens it not only hurts those users affected, it makes many people second-guess using a password manager at all. That's bad for everybody. But what's good is that flaws are found and reported so that they can be fixed. This is why we have audits done, and also offer incentives to get independent security researchers taking a hard look at 1Password as well.

• L0j1k
    L0j1k
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

@XIII Nobody's perfect, but this comment about LastPass means I need to get rid of LastPass immediately: "They also said they couldn't get my exploit to work, but I checked my apache access logs and they were using a Mac. Naturally, calc.exe will not appear on a Mac." This sounds exactly what I should expect from LastPass post-LogMeIn-buyout. This situation isn't going to get better, it's going to get worse.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

@L0j1k That Windows/Mac discrepancy indeed made a bad impression.

• int_hdlr
    int_hdlr
    Community Member
    Options

I just signed up to 1Password hoping to switch from Lastpass but the lack of Linux support got me by surprise. I'll have to delay this decision.

Is it in the roadmap? Can you make a rough estimate when it'll available?

• Ben
    Options

We are working on a command line interface that will be compatible with Linux, but I do not have an estimate of when it'll be available.

Ben

• bountonw
    bountonw
    Community Member
    Options

Yay!! This is good news. This is an important small step in keeping people from migrating to Dashlane or LastPass and taking their families with them. The command line interface is great for technical people, however, their wives and children may still be used to "plug and play". Modern linux versions are quite user friendly and many choose linux for the family computer or as a first computer for their children. Not having Linux support is a big X in the con side of the equation when comparing password mangers. I am glad that 1password is addressing this.

• ashneo76
    ashneo76
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thank you very much for addressing my comments.

One consistent concern that I have seen from interacting on this post, is that there are way too many ways to deploy apps to Linux.

Can you please look into: https://flatpak.org? It is compiled setup binary like .msi for Windows or .dmg for Mac, with external dependencies pulled in automatically for specific platform.

That way you guys can focus on the app and not packaging for each distro.

And I am super pumped about the CLI app! Thank you so much for listening to users and replying to their feedback consistently!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bountonw: Thank you for the kind words! We're excited to be able to share the new CLI app with folks on Linux and other platforms once it's ready. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.