And I'm doubled that :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:lol: :+1:

• jakswa
    jakswa
    Community Member

Pretty sure I'd stick with 1password until my end of days if there was linux support. The auto-filling browser extension is the pinnacle of convenience. That's my kind of jam -- convenience and laziness. Keeping track of passwords? Who does that? I get by with the browser UI, but it's inconvenient. And it compounds over time. It's chipping away at the pinnacle, really. Am I going to keep track of a dedicated 1password tab every day, until the day I die? Every now and then, after a session of tab-switching, I google '1password linux.' The lack of real support there has started triggering a '1password alternatives linux," google. This chain of inconvenience-driven googling has an end, but will it be at 1password? 38 pages of "nothing yet" comments over 7 years really paints an impression.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something I'd like as well, but our first priority has to be the platforms we already support. That's where our responsibility lies. I don't have any news for you on the Linux front. Sorry.

• bi9kahuna
    bi9kahuna
    Community Member

Here's another vote for Linux support. With the advent of cross platform development frameworks like Electron (see https://electron.atom.io ), perhaps this is something that can be reconsidered by the Agilebits team. Electron is the framework that has bought us Slack on every platform...

• We had actually looked at using Electron to build an app a while ago. There's some interesting stuff there.

Rick

• herbcso
    herbcso
    Community Member

Another +1 here. My company is blocking LastPass and I'm considering 1password (which works - don't ask me why one does and the other doesn't... :/ ), but the lack of Linux support is an issue for me moving over...

• Hey @herbcso,

It is possible to access the 1Password.com web interface from Linux, which may help. We do appreciate that this is not a fully replacement for a native client with browser extensions, but it may be enough to get you by.

Thanks.

Ben

• SoftAllan
    SoftAllan
    Community Member

@jakswa > 38 pages of "nothing yet" comments over 7 years really paints an impression.
    What's more impressive is 38 pages of different ways to say "nothing yet" for linux support :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't generally copy and paste our responses. :tongue:

• herbcso
    herbcso
    Community Member

@Ben thanks, that does help.

• Great! You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Hi

At the rate that the Team is going with 1Password for Linux, I would say never say never, but who knows? :) I would prefer to see features like Security Audit like on the Mac completely available elsewhere first and that's taking a long time.

Even if 1Password does become available on Linux, at the rate that 1Password for Windows is going to reach parity (1Password v1, v4 and v6) with the Mac version, 1Password for Linux will take even longer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. It certainly isn't a trivial undertaking.

• joadr
    joadr
    Community Member

+1000, really interesting on this.

• Thanks, @Joadr.

Ben

• ilsa
    ilsa
    Community Member

So has there been any progress on this? There are alternatives to 1password that are making serious strides in functionality (eg: Enpass) and do have wide platform support. Right now the only thing preventing me from jumping ship is that 1password has features no one else has (namely, being able to access multiple vaults simultaneously). Using some web interface isn't really sufficient. If I wanted to go that route, I would have used LastPass or whatever.

I mean, it doesn't even have to be full featured with browser extensions and whatnot. Just being able to sync, and have basic editing of my vault would go very far to make me happy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So has there been any progress on this?

@ilsa: I'm not sure what you mean. We haven't announced a Linux product.

I mean, it doesn't even have to be full featured with browser extensions and whatnot. Just being able to sync, and have basic editing of my vault would go very far to make me happy.

It's something we'd like ourselves, but we don't have any news to share in this area right now.

• ilsa
    ilsa
    Community Member

What I mean, is I wanted to know if a Linux client was even on the roadmap yet. I want to use Linux far more than I have been, but 1password is one of my must-have applications, which makes Linux a non-starter for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ilsa: Ah, thanks for clarifying! As I mentioned, we don't have anything to announce right now, but if and when we do I promise we'll update this discussion. Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

As much as I would love to see one, I see the point. The Linux market share is extremely small. Looking at wiki on it now, Linux has 1.43% while windows has 36.81%. macOS has 5% and iOS has 13.46%, while Android has 38.98%

Of that 1.43% for Linux users, how many would actually use a password manager, let alone 1Password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: To play devil's advocate, I'd say that folks using desktop Linux are probably more likely to use a password manager than, say, the average mobile-only user. That said, while it's fun to think about things like this, it just isn't in the cards for us right now to pursue a whole new platform. But it's absolutely the kind of thing we'll have to take into account in the future. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty maybe, but I see the point of the business side. I'm still drooling over that System 76 laptop and I can use the 1Password.com, just no auto fill. Not a big deal, but I hope a Linux app does come down the road :)

• :+1: :)

Ben

• L0j1k
    L0j1k
    Community Member

That said, while it's fun to think about things like this, it just isn't in the cards for us right now to pursue a whole new platform.

So I guess the Linux-compatible client project has been terminated?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@L0j1k: I don't see where anyone said anything about a "Linux-compatible client" being terminated. Like I said,

we don't have anything to announce right now, but if and when we do I promise we'll update this discussion.

Cheers! :)

• mjarvis
    mjarvis
    Community Member

I'm checking in on this thread, since I recently did jump ship and adopt 1Password. My last comment was December 2015, when I first started kicking the proverbial 1Password tires.

I still would love to see a native Linux client, but as a software developer myself, I understand completely that you work on what they pay you to work on. I'll keep hoping!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mjarvis: Hmm. I don't usually think of it that way, but yeah...good point. :lol:

It's not something we can promise right now, but you're not alone in your love for Linux. ;)

• mjarvis
    mjarvis
    Community Member

I also agree with your comment about desktop Linux users being more likely to use password managers.

Although Linux has come a long way on the desktop, it's still nowhere near as polished as macOS or Windows.

It's my observation that your average desktop Linux user is more technical than your average Windows/Mac user, and more likely to be concerned with security best practices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, that makes me feel more optimistic than I would otherwise. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.