New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Comments

• mshallop
    mshallop
    Community Member

Just (somewhat aggressively) chiming in...

I've been hoping for a native linux port for years for 1Password. I've purchased iPassword for my Mac, Windows, Android and iOS devices. As far as the Linux desktop is concerned, Wine isn't an acceptable, stable, solution/work-around.

Someone made the comment in this thread about how Linux users traditionally don't pay for software products. Perhaps that's true - but I have paid, and quite a bit, for the 1Password products I have on my non-Linux platforms. My 1Password rev is currently 3.8.2.1 on my mac, 1.0.9.340 on Windows, and I won't spend any more of my money with AgileBits until a Linux version is released.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mshallop‌,

Thanks for chiming in (in whatever way you feel comfortable doing). :)

Wine isn't an acceptable, stable, solution/work-around.

Understood and agreed. We only suggest it since it is an option. It certainly isn't ideal, but it does suit the needs of some users today. Perhaps the users for whom it works best are those who use Linux on a less frequent basis than you.

I won't spend any more of my money with AgileBits until a Linux version is released.

Duly noted. We certainly wouldn't want you to spend money supporting us if we aren't providing value in the area you require. I'll make sure the team gets your feedback. We appreciate all of it: positive, negative, friendly, or aggressive. It is all helpful, and it is all important.

Thanks again!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

@Khad—

Pending the development and release of a full-fledged Linux (and/or Chromebook) client, it would be great IMO if AgileBits could put its imprimatur on a makeshift solution along the lines of, say, @Gyran's Chrome extension. While @Gyran's extension is not as secure as a native client, @jpgoldberg's preliminary assessment (comment #13 in the thread) was that the extension poses no more risk to users than 1Password.html in a Dropbox folder, which is a solution that AgileBits already supports.

I recognize that this is a read-only solution that does not solve @cbou's Linux workflow problem, but as you note that issue can be addressed, more or less, with the help of WINE.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

[I'm cross-posting in both threads where you asked about this for the benefit of those only following one thread. Sorry for the noise.]

Thanks for asking about this, @benfdc.

From a security perspective, we cannot in good conscience recommend a solution that we haven’t written ourselves. It puts all (or much) of the risk on ourselves and only helps customers if we can guarantee that there is no risk for them now or in the future (which we cannot).

The post you reference which @jpgoldberg‌ has written on May 12, 2014, outlines our official position. We are happy to give compliments where they are due while continuing to correctly indicate that we can’t recommend any non-1Password solution from a security perspective.

I'm sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope you can understand the reasons for this.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

@Khad—

To keep things simple, I've responded in @Gyran's thread.

• Espen Hovlandsdal
    Espen Hovlandsdal
    Community Member

Another +1 from me. I'm using Linux on all my computers now, and I'm really missing a browser-integrated 1password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, Espen!

• guiambros
    guiambros
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

+1 on 1P for Linux.

Wondering why this is it so hard. Browser extensions are already multi-platform. You already have Dropbox sync'ing the data files and doing most of the heavy lifting. You don't need to have the entire 1Password running on Linux (and, in fact, it runs fine under Wine). You just need to allow the browser extension to point to the correct agilekeychain folder.

• Katharina Sabel
    Katharina Sabel
    Community Member

Can you please get it together? -.-
    It's been 4 YEARS since OP posted their wish about Linux and since then you've had pages of people telling they want this. There are a billion reasons why a 1Password client and browser plugins are important for Linux. I'm currently running the Windows client in WINE which lets me create new passwords and all but the browser plugins are missing.

At this point I'm considering switching to some OpenSource alternative that gives me the features I need. But I guess that doesn't matter anymore after I bought my license + the iOS client. Really it's a shame. You're a relatively big studio with enough resources to make shiny products. If it was just 2-3 people coding, I'd understand but you're clearly all very talented when it comes to writing applications.
    It's a shame that you won't give Linux any love. And at that point it becomes a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

I really hope you change your minds about this...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014

Indeed. It is a few months away from being 4 years since this thread first started. And the demand has certainly changed quite a bit in those 4 years. We don't normally discuss future plans, but we genuinely appreciate you letting us know you are interested in a native Linux client.

I know it isn't the same as having a native client, but if you're already using 1Password 4 for Windows under WINE, you can use the browser extensions too.

• jan1993
    jan1993
    Community Member

+1

• guiambros
    guiambros
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

@Khad: a thousand times: THANK YOU. My Linux environment just got an order of magnitude better. Having to copy-and-paste every password was driving me crazy.

For others wanting to try the same: I'm using 1P for Win 4.0.1 BETA-501 under Wine, with the official 4.2.3.90 extension on native Chrome v35.0.1916.153. Note that you have to edit your (Wine) registry to add VerifyCodeSignature=0 to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AgileBits\1Password 4 as explained in the discussed linked above.

So far I haven't seen any major drawbacks. All the standard functionality is there.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

So happy to be able to help, @guiambros‌! Thank you for letting me know that works so well for you. :)

• Jerry McMannamy
    Jerry McMannamy
    Community Member

Another Vote for a Linux version and I WILL pay for it once it comes out.

• mort
    mort
    Community Member

+1 for a Linux version

Windows 7 will be my last Microsoft OS and I chose to switch to Linux.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your vote! If you already have a 1Password for Windows license, you can use it under WINE for now (including with the browser extensions). It's not perfect for all use cases, but many folks appreciate the option.

Have a great rest of your week! :)

• bogwonch
    bogwonch
    Community Member

+1 for a Linux one
    ...and if you wanted to drop in a CLI client while you're at it I would love you for ever <3

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I agree. It would certainly be nice to have. Thanks, @bogwonch‌, for taking the time to add your vote here!

• chaosmind
    chaosmind
    Community Member

+1 for 1Password for Linux!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @chaosmind‌! Vote added. :D

• shankar
    shankar
    Community Member

• shankar
    shankar
    Community Member

• Zauberfisch
    Zauberfisch
    Community Member

+1

for us its exactly the same as with Fredrik Alm
    The only thing keeping us from switching to 1Password is the missing fully fledged linux support.

• Jasper
    edited August 2014

Thanks for your vote, @shankar‌! :)

• Thanks for the feedback, guys!

• Zauberfisch
    Zauberfisch
    Community Member

on a site note, when we tested 1password, I did try it in wine, and it was acceptable, except I did not get the chrome extension to work (running in chromium) and I did not manage to install the firefox one.
    but most of us have to enter quiet a lot of passwords, so a working browser extension is kind of important.

• 1Password 4 for Windows should work with the Chrome extension if you disable browser validation. (However, it isn't officially supported.)

• Zauberfisch
    Zauberfisch
    Community Member

tried that, but the chrome/chromium extension tells me:

Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension.

Do I have to start any other service besides starting 1password?
    Or are there perhaps any wine configurations required so that my linux chromium can connect to the application running in wine?
    (I am not really a wine expect I am afraid to admit)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Help menu > Restart 1Password Helper

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

And if you create a new Agile1pAgent.desktop file ~/.config/autostart with the following content:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open [Desktop Entry] Name=1Password Browser Helper Comment=Allow browser plugins to interact with the 1Password database Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/.wine" wine "/home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/1Password 4/Agile1pAgent.exe" Type=Application StartupNotify=true Path=/home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/1Password 4 Icon=C775_1Password.0 StartupWMClass=Agile1pAgent.exe

then you the helper will autostart when you login.
    Obviously you'll need to change the 3 pathes in that file to match your system. If you used the default installs for both Wine and 1Password then you should just need to change /home/user to your own home folder path.

This discussion has been closed.