Options

Comments

• Zauberfisch
    Zauberfisch
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

uh. nice.
    thank you, it actually works. that's great news.
    I can live with that for the time being, as soon as there is an official word that a linux client is planed for the future.

any chance I can get the firefox plugin as well?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe the Firefox extension should also work. Have you tried it and it isn't working for you? It sounds like the Chrome extension is working for you, though, is that correct?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

How do you install the firefox extension? The buttons in the browser tab of 1Password are all disabled and if I select the firefox executable in /usr/bin it does nothing.
    The only reason I've got the Chrome plugin installed is due to Chrome sync.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

I imagine that many folks would be delighted if a 1Password for Linux beta, or even a Linux-friendly 1Password for Chromebook beta, were to surface. But AgileBits has yet to announce any such plans. I am trying to move my mother-in-law off of Windows XP and on to Linux Mint, and I am torn between setting her up with the unsupported 1Password for Windows with Wine, @Gyran’s unsupported 1PasswordAnywhere extension, or LastPass.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Indeed, @RichardPayne. You will not be able to install from 1Password's preferences since 1Password thinks it is running in Windows (but it isn't). You can install the Firefox extension from the 1Password browser extension installation page. We normally always recommend installing from 1Password's preferences, but things in Wine don't fall under "normally". :)

• Zauberfisch
    Zauberfisch
    Community Member
    Options

wonderful, thank you.

It works now, even though a new tab opens with the URL "onepassword4-extension://activate/Firefox" and tells me "The address wasn't understood"
    I tried to register a protocol handler, but that didn't work. but since after restarting it worked anyway, I'll leave it at that.

well, this is amazing news. I will give 1Password in wine a serious try, but seems pretty good for the time being.

now, just give the word that you are planing real linux support for the near future, and we are switching for good ;)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

The only thing I haven't got to work consistently is the Ctrl+\ shortcut.

I had a go at it: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/26888/ctrl-not-working-using-wine/p1
    but it works intermittently.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

well, this is amazing news. I will give 1Password in wine a serious try, but seems pretty good for the time being.

Just for clarification, @Zauberfisch‌, the extension requires the main app (and this applies under Wine just as much as it does on Windows). I wasn't sure what you meant by that sentence, so I just wanted to make sure.

• Zauberfisch
    Zauberfisch
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

uhm, now I am not sure what you mean.

let me just lay out what I mean:
    I am running the windows 1password 4 application in wine, the browser addons in my firefox & chrome (not wine) are working as expected, most features of 1password are working as expected.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cool. Sounds good then. Sorry for any confusion. I'm glad things are working well. :)

• eimann
    eimann
    Community Member
    Options

I would really like to see native support for Linux too. We're using 1Password on OS X, but those systems are for another kind of work as our Linux workstations. Being able to use the same features (Folder-Sync with git-annex) as a native Linux application would be really great. And I would pay another 30EUR per workstation for a Linux version :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sincere thanks for your feedback on this, @eimann. :)

• kanin
    kanin
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a Linux version!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for letting us know of your interest, @kanin‌. I've added your vote!

• crockettj
    crockettj
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux!

Jonathan, a happy mac/windows customer who would be glad to add Linux too.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @crockettj‌! :)

• dAverk
    dAverk
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for linux!

• Roadstar
    Roadstar
    Community Member
    Options

Here's one more who'd like to see 1Password on Linux as well. I use all three relevant desktop platforms and it would be great if 1Password were properly supported on all of them.

• stagl
    stagl
    Community Member
    Options

+1 linux!

• oscarcardoso
    oscarcardoso
    Community Member
    Options

+1 linux!

• Is it just me or is Linux growing in popularity? It's great to see! :)

• dmitry_kholodilov
    dmitry_kholodilov
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux version.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Is it just me or is Linux growing in popularity? It's great to see!

It's because they've finally started to get their act together with hardware support. I've been trying to install Linux for years (out of curiousity). It's taken taken 10 years of trying to finally get the OS installed and stable. Each failure was either an install failure or a hardware driver issue.

My latest attempt installed cleanly and worked out of the box, including my wireless keyboard, mouse and headset. This is a necessary before Linux could become popular, and like you said, it's nice to see.

• Zauberfisch
    Zauberfisch
    Community Member
    Options

yeah, amazing to see that there is so much interest here.
    really hope that increases the motivation to get a native linux client running ;)

I guess the fact that linux is getting more popular is also related to the fact that more and more games also become available on linux, especially now that steam and some other platforms started officially supporting linux.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dahanbn‌

Can you comment about possible plans to support somehow 1Password on Linux as well.

Unfortunately, we don't have anything to announce at this time. But we are listening to all of your feedback, as always. :)

• Michele Giannelli
    Michele Giannelli
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for 1Password for Linux (AND Ubuntu Touch!)

• Roadstar
    Roadstar
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for 1Password for Linux. I'm typing this on a laptop running Kubuntu and while I have the Windows version running on Wine, I'd prefer a native version. Should this happen, please add a nice OS X + Windows + Linux license bundle too :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michele and @Roadstar,

Thanks for adding your votes here! :)

This discussion has been closed.