Can 1Password be used for software that can have a password?

I have software that can have a password, basically my rolodex file. This is not online but only on my computer. Will 1P fill in a password box for software?

Part 2 - I see something called Knox, is this to secure files in my hard drive (like the rolodex file) and is this something coming to Windows or only Mac? I keep the file in my Dropbox and would like it more secure (is there another program to secure files on hard drive you know of?)

Peter

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Assuming you're wanting 1Password to enter the password with which you open that software program, I'd ask whether you've tried the steps in the "Creating an application Login" article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

If you're wanting 1Password to create a password that you can use for some other purpose, please see the "Creating a strong password" article.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

I have software that can have a password, basically my rolodex file. This is not online but only on my computer. Will 1P fill in a password box for software?

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/creating-an-application-login

I see something called Knox, is this to secure files in my hard drive

Correct.

is this something coming to Windows or only Mac?

Mac-only.

I keep the file in my Dropbox and would like it more secure

Your 1Password data is secure because it is encrypted. For your other documents, maybe you can use BoxCryptor or SafeMonk or CloudFogger (I'm not affiliated with any of those).

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

I followed the instructions I think to the link for creating an application.

When doing the "ctrl add url" I see c:\users\petergregg2\dropbox\Peter's Address Book Dropbox.bcc on the list and choose it.

It adds the word: tapplication

When I try to open the application (running Windows 7) I get the Password dialog box first. I do a Ctrl \ and the computer beeps.

Do this mean it is one of those that will not work, or does it mean I am doing it wrong?

I tried adding that address above in it manually and it did not help matters.

Thank you!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

What program is it?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

A quick Google search tells me a .bcc file is created by Broderbund Calendar Creator.

Is that the program you're wanting to open, @Peter_Pappas‌?

If not, what was the program, and was it running when you tried to create an application Login for it?

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member

No, no - I was giving an example and making it up to avoid giving out too much information. The program is AZZ Cardfile and the extension is .azz.

When I double click to open the program it opens a single line password dialog box. I filled in the password and the program opened. Went to 1PW and did the instructions using the ctrl ADD NEW URL. It shows me 2 possible choice, I tried them both. Each time it puts "tapplication" as the url in 1PW.

I also tried to manually input the url. That didn't so it either. Maybe this program won't work as suggested in the instructions, I think that is my opening question. Do you recognize the input of "tapplication" as a url to imply a program would not be co-operative. Does that mean anything right off the bat maybe?

Peter

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

When I double click to open the program it opens a single line password dialog box. I filled in the password and the program opened. Went to 1PW and did the instructions using the ctrl ADD NEW URL.

Hmm. Maybe you went too far before switching to 1Password. If the password dialog box was closed and gone away by the time you went to 1Password, then maybe that dialog box wouldn't show up in the list of available choices (i.e., maybe there should have been a 3rd choice, not just 2). So here's something to try. Launch the AZZ Cardfile program, and when the single-line password dialog box appears, click to place the cursor in the password slot (I don't remember if you have to click there, but it can't hurt) but don't type in the password yet. While the dialog box is still open, go over to 1Password and do the Ctrl+"add new url".

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @bkh!

@Peter_Pappas‌, please let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.