Wi-Fi Sync Not Working When Setting Up iOS App [Under Investigation. For now, try rebooting]

Options
eric12
eric12
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

I'm not able to get 1Password Wi-Fi Sync working. Versions: MacBook Pro, OSX v10.9.4, 1Password v4.4.1 (Trial Version, 29 days left); iPhone 5s, iOS v 7.1.2; 1Password v4.5.3 (purchased from the app store).

I have iTunes Wi-Fi Sync working, but I cannot initialize the iOS version of 1Password with the vault I have stored on my laptop. Initially I selected the "I've used 1Password before" option at setup, but I've also tried creating a vault and then selecting "Settings->Wi-Fi Sync" to sync with the laptop. The errors I get are either a bad file descriptor (Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=9 "The operation couldn't be completed. Bad file descriptor"), or a connection timeout. Upon failure, the next screen is "Data Not Found", which complains about not finding data on iCloud.

I am not using any other sync method, and while I am using iCloud, it's only enabled for Contacts and Calendars. I have not set up any sync methods in 1Password on the MacBook Pro.

(Question: The secret shown on the MacBook Pro has spaces between letter groupings, which enter into the iOS 1Password. Am I entering the secret wrong?)

Help!

Edit: 2014/09/14 18:40Z -- Re-word title.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

First, I'm assuming you have on your MacBook all the data you need in 1P4. In other words, I'm assuming there is nothing of value on your phone which isn't on your MacBook. Please understand that before proceeding as I suggest.

You can try the following (first ensuring both MacBook and phone are on the same wifi network):

1. In 1P4 for iOS go to Settings > Advanced > Erase Data and Settings and tap it to proceed to do that.
    2. Force close 1P4 for iOS.
    3. Relaunch 1P4 for iOS and unlock it with your master password.

Now use wifi sync to sync the data on your MacBook to 1P4 for iOS on your phone. When asked to type in the secret on your phone just type it exactly as it appears on your MacBook (i.e., complete with any spaces).

Please let us know if that works.

Stephen

• eric12
    eric12
    Community Member
    Options

I feel like I'm missing a critical piece, but I am clueless as to what it is.

Yes, everything is on the MacBook. I previously found the Erase Data option and then re-started the phone, but I went through your steps again just to be sure. I still get the "bad file descriptor" error given above.

I did notice that after erasing all 1P4 data on iOS, force closing, and re-opening, I am not given an opportunity to enter my master password. I select "I've used 1Password before" at the first screen, Wi-Fi sync at the second, and enter my secret and "Sync" at the third. I am assuming this process will copy the entire vault -- including its master password -- from the MacBook. Is there something wrong with what I am seeing or doing?

Eric

• Hi Eric,

To me it sounds like something is getting clogged up with your local Wi-Fi network. Just to see if that is indeed the case, I want you to create an ad hoc network between your Mac and iPhone and see if that gives you a successful sync.

• eric12
    eric12
    Community Member
    Options

No, that doesn't work either. I got a timeout (Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=60 "The operation couldn't be completed. Operation timed out"). Why would there would be a difference between the two network types -- are you thinking the AP connection was saturated?

I know I was using the Ad-Hoc network, because the laptop IP shown in 1P4 for iOS changed. But whether using the AP network or the Ad-Hoc one, 1P4 for iOS finds 1P4 for OSX since it always shows up in the Wi-Fi Sync screen a few seconds after I open the laptop Wi-Fi Sync window. The last several tries I did observe that on the AP network the error was "bad file descriptor" and on the Ad-Hoc one the error was "operation timed out".

You're sure the OSX trial version isn't handicapped in any way (Wi-Fi Sync in particular)? I have 27 days left in the trial. The iOS 1P4 isn't a trial, since there didn't seem to be such a capability.

Are there any logs generated on either end of the connection that would be of use?

Eric

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Have you rebooted your MacBook Pro recently at all? If you haven't try that. There was another thread not that long ago where that genuinely was the solution to whatever was gumming up the WiFi sync.

• eric12
    eric12
    Community Member
    Options

I tried that initially but it didn't make a difference, and I just tried rebooting both devices at your suggestion -- still no luck.

Eric

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Are you using any specific firewall or anti-virus apps on your Mac?

Stephen

• eric12
    eric12
    Community Member
    Options

I am using Kaspersky Security v13.0.2.458. Upon disabling it, the Wi-Fi Sync still does not work. I got the "bad file descriptor" error message, which doesn't make any sense for a firewall problem.

Eric

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I tried searching on the Bad file descriptor string and came across this post, now it applies to a beta version but the two steps performed by the user are simple and certainly shouldn't make anything worse. Any difference if you follow them?

• Hi @eric12,

Make sure Kaspersky has 127.0.0.1 whitelisted. Even when "disabled" some of these applications keep background processes going no matter what. The steps @littlebobbytables‌ linked to may help. Definitely try the Optimize Database command. Unless you are running our Mac beta for Yosemite, you won't have the Reset iCloud Data command. Also try a new secret.

More often than not, it is likely going to come back to something Kaspersky is doing. These apps cause lots of weird stuff for things that rely on the network, such as Wi-Fi sync.

(And since the ad hoc network did not work, that rules out a router problem so far. It's got to be something on the Mac).

• eric12
    eric12
    Community Member
    Options

I tried @littlebobbytables‌ suggestions, but had no luck.

I couldn't figure out where the Kaspersky whitelist was, so I let it alone and went poking around the OSX firewall. I had set the firewall to "Block all incoming connections," and unchecking that box got my Wi-Fi Sync working!

While messing with the OSX Firewall, I also unchecked the "Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections" checkbox, and enabled stealth mode. I'm a little concerned though that I didn't need to explicitly allow 1Password -- why should it work without explicit permission unless I unknowingly allowed everything through the firewall?

Eric

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I suspect that it may be because 1Password is only communicating with another device behind a private network but I don't know for certain. I don't have 1Password in my list either while things like Skype and Adium are present. Try starting up a program that you know will need to open a port for whatever reason - see if it then asks you.

• Mainly it is because we don't communicate over a port that we are claiming as our own. We communicate over localhost (127.0.0.1) which is limited to local traffic on the device, not touching the internet. That's why you don't get a 1Password specific request. Now, if you had a monitoring tool such as LittleSnitch, you would need to approve 1Password explicitly for outbound traffic, which we have for the image server for rich icons, and the Watchtower feature. Basically, we need to do a pull from our servers for those two things. Otherwise our network traffic stays local to the device and LAN on localhost.

• Hi @apo‌

To avoid duplication of efforts I've removed your post from the other thread.

Can you please try setting up an ad hoc network and see if 1Password can sync over that?

Ben

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @apo,

Oops, we got our wires crossed a bit, and your post got removed from both threads that you posted in. I sincerely apologize, and I'm copying the body of your post here:

Same problem here. Both, iMac (10.9.5) and iPhone 5S (8.0) are in the same network, same SSID. Latest versions of 1Password are installed (4.4.1 on Mac and 5.0.1 on iPhone). No antivirus installed. Little Snitch configured to allow outgoing connections to 127.0.0.1 (any port) for 1Password. I also stopped Little Snitch completely, same result. DB optimization performed on 1Password for Mac. 1Password restarted on both devices.

The result stays the same: WLAN sync on iPhone does not show the Mac... (no error messages)

Cheers Andy

I hope that Ben's steps help!

• apo
    apo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    Thanks for your quick reply.

It seems that iOS8 devices have some trouble to connect to an ad hoc network: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6544432

So, I can't try this way...
    Any other idea for the moment? Can you reproduce this issue with the devices/versions I've mentioned above?

Andy

• @apo‌ Andy,

That thread seems to be related to internet access, which is not required for this troubleshooting step. Were you able to try it? Also: Have you ever been able to WiFi sync 1Password on your network, or is this your first attempt?

I'm not able to reproduce the issue, but I have an iPhone 5 (not 5S).

• apo
    apo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben @bwoodruff,

• Whatever the Apple thread is related to, I'm not able to join an adhoc network with any iPhone on iOS8 (so I can't try this way)
    • I did not try a WiFi sync in the past
    • I tried now with an iPhone 5 (iOS8 + fresh install of 1Password 5.0.1) and the WiFi sync works fine!
    • I tried again with the iPhone 5S (iOS8 + 1Password 5.0.1) and the Mac does not show up in the list
    • I removed all data from 1Password on the iPhone 5S and restarted the app - same result, the Mac does not show up in the list
    • I removed 1Password from the iPhone 5S and installed the app again - same result, the Mac does not show up in the list
    • All devices are on the same network, so there must be some trouble specifically with 1Password on the iPhone 5S

Could you please try to reproduce this issue with a 5S and confirm the problem?

Cheers
    Andy

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry this doesn't help you @apo‌ but there really is no general problem with wifi sync between a Mac and an iPhone 5s. It works perfectly for me using 1P5 for iOS 5.0.1 and 1P4 for OS X 4.4.2.BETA-4 on the Mac. (Don't be fooled by the beta on the Mac: I don't think that makes any difference at all over the last release version).

Stephen

• apo
    apo
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Problem solved!

I rebooted both, the iPhone 5S and the Mac.
    Now the Mac shows up in the WiFi syncing list on the iPhone.
    Once more, the German adage helped: "Reboot tut gut" (;

Thanks to @bwoodruff, @stephen_c, @Megan for your quick replies... Great support!

• Thanks for the update @apo, sometimes the simplest solution is the most overlooked!

• almrguy
    almrguy
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot sync with wi-fi to either iPad with iOS8 or iPhone with iOS7 after loading latest app update and using 1Password 4.4.1. After "sync started" message, nothing else happens.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @almrguy‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here! Now, there's a lot of advice in this thread already ... Have you:

If you've already gone through all these steps, please let us know and we'll investigate further! :)

• almrguy
    almrguy
    Community Member
    Options

I've found that the sync failure is unique to iOS 8. I am able to sync to an iPhone which has not been "upgraded" to iOS8. Message in trying to sync: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain CODE=60 "The operation couldn't be completed. Operation timed out"
    (Does not work with Wi-fi or ad hoc network with iOS8.)

• MikeT
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @almrguy,

We're seeing reports from some users that iOS 8 doesn't like Wi-Fi sync for some reason.

A few questions:

1. Are you using iOS 8.0.2 right now on the iPhone?
    2. What Wi-Fi router are you using?
  • Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same problem since upgrading to iOS 8.0.2. My iMac just doesn't show up on the iPhone. (It was working under iOS 8.)

• Hi @Radoc,

Which OS X version? We've found a few Yosemite bugs that may be contributing to the problem.

• breatleb
    breatleb
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using 1Password for years (wi-fi sync) with no problems.

I am using the current versions of 1Password for iPhone and 1Password for Mac, respectively running on ios8 iPhone 6 and the current version of the Mac OS. I am also running 1Password on my iPad using ios8 on an iPad Retina (4).

Ever since the update, the iMac data will not transfer to the iPhone. I sync in the same manner, the iphone version shows that it is in sync mode, gives the brief message that the sync is completed, but no information has been transfered to the device.

I have no idea if this is related to the problem, but "Restoring Purchases" on the iPhone version didn't work until I did the agilebits recommended workaround.

To address the syncing problem, I have already tried deleting the app from the iPhone, re-downloaded from the app store on the iphone itself (clicked on the cloud), re-set the app as if it were being used for the first time, and synced it with the iMac version. It will sync once and not again.

Another troubleshooting method I used that failed is I deleted ALL information from my iPhone, and set it up as if it were new. I restored it from a backup, re-downloaded 1Password (then went through the workaround to "restore purchases"). No dice.

To make matters more confusing, the iPad version DOES sync properly, using the same wifi sync method that I use on the iPhone.

Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated. 1password on my iPhone is crucial in running my business and I need this resolved ASAP. Thank you

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT: I'm using Mac OS X 10.9.5. Of course, my inability to sync means that I can't further investigate the problem discussed in this thread for the time being. I'm about to send my Mac and iOS logs via email. Hopefully, that'll help, since not syncing at all is worse than the counter issue! For the record, I've rebooted both the iPhone and Mac and verified that they're on the same Wi-Fi network. I had the same result with an ad-hoc network. I'm certain that this was working prior to the recent iOS update. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Radoc,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: XIJ-52521-865

This discussion has been closed.