1Password for iOS 6 and iOS 7 [Available in Updates > Purchases for those who already purchased]

Options
13»

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aawevers‌

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here! I'll be sure to pass them along to our developers.

But as the app for iOS8 is offered for free, what is keeping you from making the IPA file of the old version available to your (potential) customers so they can install it themselves via iTunes?

There are a lot of complications to this suggestion. Because I'm not a developer, I don't quite understand all the ins and outs, but it is something that we have considered and have had to reject.

I can completely understand that you're not willing to purchase a new phone for one bit of software - that does seem a bit extreme. :) When you do get your hands on an iOS 8 compatible device though, we'd be thrilled to help you get set up with 1Password!

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, thanks for your presence here. Earlier this tidbit was posted. Can you please get an executive response from Agilebits to the point made here. Apple says it's up to the developer, you say Apple won't allow you. Somewhere out there lies the true state of affairs.

According to the apple page linked to in this thread:

"If a compatible version isn't available, you can try contacting the app developer. Look for contact information on the app's product page in the App Store or Mac App Store."

• Wraithe
    Wraithe
    Community Member
    Options

So, I figured this out as I was reading the first page, so I'm relaying the "How To" along to help others.

If you haven't already installed/downloaded 1Password for iOS, and you're running a pre iOS 8 device:

1. Launch iTunes on your Mac (I assume this will work on Windows, but didn't try it).
    2. Go to "App Store" tab in iTunes.
    3. Find and "purchase" 1Password. This will be the iOS 8 version (Version 5, I guess).
    4. Close iTunes.
    5. In your iOS 7 device, tap to open "App Store".
    6. Tap on "Purchased".
    7. Search for "1Password".
    8. Tap download to install.
      8a. At this point, it will ask you if you want to download the latest compatible version.
      8b. Do that.
    9. Enjoy.

I have no idea, as noted above, whether this will work with windows. Nor with iOS 6, but I just followed this procedure to install what I presume is version 4 on my iPad running iOS 7, and I had never installed the 1Password iOS app before anywhere.

Good Luck.

• Kieran Andrews
    Kieran Andrews
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I also came here frustrated that I could not download the app on my iPhone 4, but I was able to download it buy logging into my iTunes account on a friends phone and download the app. It then allowed me to download the old version on my iPhone 4. Thanks!

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

Kieran, that sounds like a work-around. Thanks!

• Jeff Shiner
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thanks everyone for expressing your desire to download 1Password for iOS 7 devices.

When we launched 1Password 5 for iOS we made two decisions:

• We decided that 1Password 5 would be iOS 8 only. We made this decision as there were so many awesome iOS 8 features that we wanted to adopt that it would have been very hard to make a version that supported iOS 7 as well.

• We decided that 1Password 5 would be an update to 1Password 4, rather than a new app. This allows anyone who had previously purchased 1Password 4 to update to 1Password 5 (with Pro features enabled) for free.

Unfortunately this makes it very difficult to install 1Password on iOS 7 devices as a first time download.

Apps that are sold in the App Store are managed through Apple's iTunes Connect site. As a developer, we do have limited control as to whether old versions of the app can be made available as a previous purchase. As you can see in the image below, we have left all previous versions available (yeah the wording is confusing there) for download.

That is the only control we have over previous versions. There is no option to make them available as first time downloads.

For first time installs of 1Password on iOS 7, I have heard that some people are having success with Wraith's instructions (thank-you) and I am re-posting them below in case they work for you:

1. Launch iTunes on your Mac (I assume this will work on Windows, but didn't try it).
    2. Go to "App Store" tab in iTunes.
    3. Find and "purchase" 1Password. This will be the iOS 8 version (Version 5, I guess).
    4. Close iTunes.
    5. In your iOS 7 device, tap to open "App Store".
    6. Tap on "Purchased".
    7. Search for "1Password".
    8. Tap download to install.
      8a. At this point, it will ask you if you want to download the latest compatible version.
      8b. Do that.
    9. Enjoy.
  • aawevers
    aawevers
    Community Member
    Options

Well i have tried Wraithe's suggestion and it works like a charm! Thanks for that tip.
    This much better than the scripted answers we have seen from Agilebits before.......but now i can test aPassword across the different OS platforms, they just may get a new customer out of me after all.

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

@aawevers, 1Password is a terrific product. If you can load it on your device, I think you'll want to keep it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aawevers‌,

I'm so glad to hear that Wraithe's suggestion worked for you!

If you would like to test 1Password on Mac or Windows, we have a 30-day free trial available on our downloads page. We really hope that you love 1Password!

And @SallyShears‌,

Thanks for the kind words! ;)

• aawevers
    aawevers
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan - so yes, in the end you did get a new customer.
    Now I am trying to find a way to export my eWallet data to 1Password (don't want to lose too much time in converting). I realise that this is probably needing a different thread but if you are able to point me in the right direction this would be highly appreciated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aawevers‌

It just so happens that one of our awesome forum friends ( @MrC ) has written a converter to get your data from eWallet into 1Password. That linked post should include all the detail you need. If you have any questions, feel free to post in that thread, and I'm sure Mr.C will help you out. (His converter skills are sometimes a bit beyond my ken ... but they've worked for many users!)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi aawevers,

To add to Megan's reply, start at post #15 to get your eWallet conversion accomplished.

• pikaboo
    pikaboo
    Community Member
    Options

Premature angry email sent to agilebits ;)

You can download the app for iOS7 by first purchasing it on the app store in OSX iTunes.
    Then you can go to your phone and when you download it, it will allow you to download the latest compatible version

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pikaboo,

I'm so glad to hear that our suggestion posted above helped you out! I've replied to your email directly as well - I hope 1Password works perfectly for you from now on, but if not, we're here for you. :)

ref: GXE-92793-299

• aawevers
    aawevers
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan , @MrC,
    Thanks for the advice on the Converter - I managed to get most of the data converted correctly

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aawevers‌

That's awesome to hear! Enjoy 1Password - if you have questions, you know where to find us. :)

• BluesBrother3
    BluesBrother3
    Community Member
    Options

I wound up in quite a quandary when an errant sync of my iPhone 5S running IOS 7.1.2 removed ALL third-party apps (including 1Password) from my iPhone. When I subsequently attempted to re-sync to re-install all apps, I was informed that 1Password was NOT installed, because my IOS was downlevel, and that 1Password required IOS 8.x. I have specifically avoided "upgrading" to IOS 8.x because of all the bad press surrounding it, but I also desperately need 1Password on my iPhone. That's when I went looking for help, and found this thread.

I'll pass on bashing AgileBits for choosing a path that forces one to "upgrade" to IOS 8.x in order to be able to download and install the version in the App Store. Suffice it to say, I agree with the comments that have gone before. Basically, it all sounded like, "Yep, that's a bad 'un, alright, but that's the way it is".

Fortunately, I tried Wraith's solution (re-published by Jeff Shiner above) and am pleased (and greatly relieved!) to report that it worked for me, too, allowing me to re-install the previous version of 1Password (4.5.3) on my iPhone running IOS 7.1.2. All I can say is, "Whew! That was too close for comfort!". Thanks to Wraith for figuring this one out, and lets' hope that Apple gets their act together soon on IOS 8.x, enabling us all to move forward.

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @wraith and @JeffSteiner for the instructions for a new acquisition of 1Password4 for iOS 7. The instructions in #67 above are perfect. With these, I was finally able to install 1Password 4 for a person who really needs it (on iOS 7). Thanks to all… This product is making the world safer.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BluesBrother3‌,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences here! If you were using 1Password previously though, you shouldn't have had to use the workaround posted above - 1Password should have been visible in the App Store under Updates > Purchases.

In any case, I'm so glad to hear that you are all sorted out. We're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

Hi @SallyShears‌

So glad to hear that you're all sorted out. :)

• M4v3r1ck
    M4v3r1ck
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Just signed up for this board to share with you all who participated in this thread, that because of your persistence , you made it happen that I've become a new customer with a Mac using OS X 10.10 AND an iPhone 4 and iPad3 both on iOS7!

OS X 10.10 and iOS 8 are nice, but still not freed from a lot of bugs... who wants bugs in a complex digital surrounding.

PLEASE NOTE: The workaround is not possible if you're on OS X 10.10. I booted my OS X 10.9.5 and downloaded from the App Store in iTunes 12.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH ALL and kudo's to Agilebit's Megan and Jeff for their excellent (New) Customer Support for all iOS6/7 users, seeking for some safety out in the digital wilderness! Cheers to ya all!

Greetings from The Netherlands,

M4v3r1ck(s) ;-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @M4v3r1ck‌

Thanks so much for your support of 1Password! And I really appreciate you including that last little detail for the workaround - that's great to know. :)

Cheers from Toronto, Canada - if you have any further questions, you know where to find us!

• M4v3r1ck
    M4v3r1ck
    Community Member
    Options

PLEASE NOTE: The workaround is not possible if you're on OS X 10.10. I booted my OS X 10.9.5 and downloaded from the App Store in iTunes 12.

@Megan‌ Most welcome!

Additional info (as I can't change my own post anymore) :

When you're on OS X 10.10.x the MAS will only show Yosemite compatible version 5.1.2 in iTunes 12. This version will not be able to be installed on your iOS 7 devises. When you boot from a < OS X 10.10.x release ,connect your iOS7 devices with iTunes 12, you'll get the pop-up that you're about to download the iOS 8 non-compatibel version of the 1Password app. Then you're set to go! Enjoy your iOS 6/7 1Password! Cheers...

• drgardner
    drgardner
    Community Member
    Options

This doesn't work. Long time Agile Bits customer. Deeply. Frustrated.

I've been using 1Password for quite some time and am extremely happy with it. I've recently convinced my wife to start using the app so we can share a password vault for "family" accounts, as well as to provide her with the ability to use better passwords.

She has a MacBook Air (10.10.2) and an iPhone 4 (7.1.2).

I've downloaded 1Password from the iTunes App Store, however it won't successfully install (although it does download to the device -- install never completes, and - apparently - never will).

I've tried looking in "Purchased" apps on the iPhone. As M4v3r1ck notes, the workaround fails with any OS version greater than 10.10. I don't have a system with less than 10.10.

What am I supposed to do?

I've read through some of the various threads, and I have to say I don't understand your willingness to just abandon customers. Why not just introduce v5 as a new app, and leave the old one in place.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drgardner,

I do apologize for the frustration. As Jeff mentions above, we made the decision to offer 1Password 5 as an upgrade rather than a new app to ensure that the existing users had access to the 'Pro' features free of charge. If we had released 1Password as a new app, it would have been a paid upgrade for existing users, and we didn't want to do that.

We truly wish that we could provide a solution here that works for all users, unfortunately the App Store has a few restrictions in place that restricts our wiggle room here.

This discussion has been closed.