Safari Extension is not working: Cocoa 260 error

Options
Paul Applegate
Paul Applegate
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

My wife is not able to use the extension to log in using the iPad. She gets a Cocoa 260 error.
I searched and can't find the error on the forums. Does it stand out to anyone?
She turned it off and force quit Safari and then enabled it again. Same issue. It works fine on the iPhone.
Thanks
Paul

Comments

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting the same error. And like you, I only get Cocoa 260 on the iPad. The iPhone works fine.

• I have a couple not mentioned yet. After you update the app, you must login to the app before it actually works as a browser plugin. I kept getting a cocoa error and a hung browser when I tried the plugin on my iPad. I hadn't used the updated app yet, though. Once I did, the plugin started working. I confirmed this bug and fix/workaround on my iPhone 5.

Also, on my iPad, I can't see the unlock field for the plugin when the iPad is in landscape mode. The keyboard slides up and covers over it. Can the unlock popup slide up, too, or does the unlock field need to be moved to the top so it doesn't get covered up?

• rcarlin
    rcarlin
    Community Member
    Options

I am using IOS8 on iPhone 5.
    I have set up the 1Password extension for Safari
    However when I try to login to a site, I get:

Cocoa Error 260.

• Paul Applegate
    Paul Applegate
    Community Member
    Options

Glad she is not alone then. Hopefully they can determine what is wrong. I always have thought when they care enough to give an error a number it should be easy to identify , but what do I know I'm no programmer ;)

• burblebeep
    burblebeep
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. Not working on iPhone 4S but does work on iPhone 5C. When it doesn't work, I get two consecutive dialog boxes saying Cocoa Error 260 then I have to force quit Safari to make it responsive again. (Otherwise, there's just a blank page.)

• burblebeep
    burblebeep
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. Not working on iPhone 4S but does work on iPhone 5C. When it doesn't work, I get two consecutive dialog boxes saying Cocoa Error 260 then I have to force quit Safari to make it responsive again. (Otherwise, there's just a blank page.)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Paul and Mr. Laser Beam,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. This error usually means that 1Password hasn’t been set up yet.

Please try launching 1Password and going through the setup process before opening up the extension.

• Elaine Pineau Starratt
    Options

I get the same error on my iPad and Safari freezes. I'm pretty sure I've done the set up.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Please see this post from AgileBits in respect of the Cocoa Error 260.

Edit: I appreciate one of you is saying she has done the set up!

Stephen

• Paul Applegate
    Paul Applegate
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan, but I know 1Password is set up because she's been using it. It was an update to the latest version. I watched her unlock it before trying to use the extension.

• csbrown
    csbrown
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I had the same issue until I set up a passcode for my iPad. When I initially updated to iOS 8 I declined to set up a passcode since I didn't have one on under iOS 7. I noticed that 1Password gave me a warning that I couldn't use a PIN to sign into the 1P App until I set a passcode. Immediately after I set up the pass code I found that I could use 1P in Safari to log into my bank. Prior to that I was also getting the Cocoa Error 260 and Safari would lock.

This wasn't a controlled test but it worked for me.

• robbyberman
    robbyberman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I had this same problem on my 4S, but launched the 1Password app and then tried again in Safari. It worked. I then quit the 1Password app and tried again. Everything's fine. I'd used 1Password, too, but maybe it requires an explicit launch once you go to iOS 8 or invoke in Safari.

• Wolfeman6
    Wolfeman6
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I had this same problem on my 4S, but launched the 1Password app and then tried again in Safari. It worked. I then quit the 1Password app and tried again. Everything's fine. I'd used 1Password, too, but maybe it requires an explicit launch once you go to iOS 8 or invoke in Safari.

I agree here. I was having the Cocoa error 260 every time I tried to use it, but after explicitly opening 1Password and logging into then going back to Safari I was able to use it without anymore errors. I am on an iPhone 5.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password for iOS 5 Bugs....

Hi @Keleko,

I've merged your post with an existing discussion that was discussing the same cocoa error you mention. (When things are as busy as they are at launch time, it's best to keep all similar conversations in one place if at all possible.)

Please see my post #6 for a solution to the cocoa error.

>I can't see the unlock field for the plugin when the iPad is in landscape mode. The keyboard slides up and covers over it. Can the unlock popup slide up, too, or does the unlock field need to be moved to the top so it doesn't get covered up?

I've passed this along to our developers - we'll see what we can do to fix this visual glitch. :)
  • jacobjanzen
    jacobjanzen
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that once you launch the app it works. I was getting the error code: "The operation couldn't be completed. (Cocoa error 260.) 1Password encountered a problem." Launched 1Password App, setup my pincode, and voila it's great!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jacobjanzen‌

That's great to hear! Thanks for letting us know you're up and running. :) I hope things work smoothly for you from now on, but we're here if you have any questions or concerns.

• mrjeffwilson
    mrjeffwilson
    Community Member
    Options

iPhone 5 and IOS 8. Was getting cocoa error in Safari and did the steps listed in this discussion. Now when I trigger 1Password I get the screen to unlock, then I get a frozen white screen with "1Password" across the middle.

• burblebeep
    burblebeep
    Community Member
    Options

Launching the app and retrying in Safari again worked for me too. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrjeffwilson‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Can you fully quit 1Password and re-start? I hope that gives things a bit of a kickstart.

@burblebeep‌

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! We're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• cptZbeak
    cptZbeak
    Community Member
    Options

But you'll fix that it would be not longer nessesery to run the app in background before actually using it Safari? It feels really weak and I must say i'm really disapointed. :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cptZbeak‌

I sincerely apologize that you're not loving the 1Password app extension right now. Unfortunately, extensions in iOS work a little bit differently than they do on the desktop, so the 1Password iOS app will be required for the extension to work.

In 1Password 4 for Mac, we have 1Password Mini running the show and holding your database so that the extension can access it at will, even if the main app is closed.

In iOS, there's no intermediary process like 1Password Mini. The app extension amounts to a few lines of code that calls 1Password and asks for information: none of your information is stored in the extension itself. We need to have a secure container to hold your 1Password data for the extension. That container is the 1Password app.

I hope this helps to explain why things are the way they are. Keep in mind that the app extension is a brand new feature to ALL third-party developers, so there's a lot of things we are still discovering about how we can best use this new tool, and there are probably a lot of things we can improve upon in our original design.

Your feedback as we work to better the 1Password app extension is much appreciated!

• mrjeffwilson
    mrjeffwilson
    Community Member
    Options

Still having the same problem of showing a white screen and hanging there after I open 1PW while having an open Safari browser window open to a site with username and password windows. The page looks like it's loading something (spinning wheel at the top), but nothing ever loads. I've quit all apps, restarted my phone and the problem persists. I'm even trying different web sites to see if that was the issue. Happens in all of them. I do syncing over DropBox (which has been updated for IOS 8). What can I try next?

• Hi @mrjeffwilson‌

Have you updated to 1Password 5.0.1 and does the problem persist there?

Please let us know.

Ben

• Cynky
    Cynky
    Community Member
    Options

Re message 23 same is happening on my iPad, I have updated ipad and 1password. I am not synching to anything yet, am a new user, I think l have followed all the instructions... But getting nowhere. Tried using Chrome too but still the same. Have uninstalled but makes no difference..

Cynthia

• Hi @Cynky‌

Tried using Chrome too but still the same.

You are getting an error when trying to use 1Password on iOS in Chrome? Chrome hasn't built in 1Password support yet, so I'd be interested to hear what steps you took to get that error.

Thanks.

@mrjeffwilson‌

Could you please take a screenshot of the 'white screen' in question and post it in a reply here?

http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/#ios

• Cynky
    Cynky
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't know until today that Chrome wasn't compatible with 1 password. I don't get an error message, I just click on the url in 1password, it enters the url and then the spinning ball which eventually times out. here is a screen shot of when I try to open something from the 1 password browser, Sorry seems I can't get to the photo library on iPad on this forum. Copy and paste won't work either.

Cynky

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @Cynky,

To add a screenshot to the forum here, you've got a couple of options:

• Use the 'Attach a file' link just below the comment window
    • Save the file to an online service (like Dropbox) and click on the image icon in the comment's menu bar. Paste the link in the dialogue box that pops up.

• Cynky
    Cynky
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cynky,

Thanks so much for sending along that screenshot! That is odd. Let's see what we can do to track this down. First of all, I'd like to confirm the steps that you are taking here. Being able to reproduce an error is the first step in squashing a bug, so please let me know if I'm misunderstanding any of your steps here:

• You open 1Password on your iPad
    • You find the Login that you wish to use, in this case mysupermarket.co.uk
    • You tap on the URL to open the site in 1Browser
    • The site never finishes loading

If this is the case, let's get a bit more detail:

• Is this happening for every site that you visit, or is the one you listed a special case?
    • If you visit the same URL in mobile Safari, does it load correctly?

Thanks for your patience as we work to get this sorted out!

• Cynky
    Cynky
    Community Member
    Options

Top five points are correct. I only have five sites entered..... I just checked and I can get into the sites through Safari, but if I click on the1password icon, it asks me for my password, so I enter that but it does not log me in.

Cynthia

This discussion has been closed.