TouchID timeouts and Extension position - bugs? [Answers in post #11]

Joelc
Joelc
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Great new version, congrats...

Two bugs that I have discovered that would be great to fix are as follows:

1. Touch ID "timeouts" meaning that although Touch ID is enabled in stops working after a few minutes and no longer allow log-ins via touch but only via password...after / once the password is entered then the Touch ID starts working again for a few minutes and then, the cylce continues.

2. Extension position...in Safari I added the extension and moved it to the far left only to discover that it moved back to where it started, at the far left...would be great to this sorted as well.

Thanks again for the great app and the free upgrade!

Joel

Comments

• goorchid
    goorchid
    Community Member

I am having the same issues.

• gordon9293
    gordon9293
    Community Member

Did you try changing the timeout for the master password in security settings? I think it defaults to require a password after an hour, even if touch ID is enabled. I set it to 30 days. There are separate timeouts for touch ID and password.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I have the same issues as well. #2 is annoying, but I have a feeling that's an apple issue. Other than that, it's awesome! Great update!

• Ciwan
    Ciwan
    Community Member

I am having the same problem as Joe (OP) with the timeout of Touch ID. I would personally consider this a flaw in the thought process here. If I have Touch ID enabled, it should not time out. I should always be asked for my fingerprint with a choice to enter my password

Also, in terms of UI, it is bad to have the request for the fingerprint as a pop-up! I am sure your UI team could have done better. Draw a thumb print on the main lock screen or something.

• Ciwan
    Ciwan
    Community Member

PS. I think Joe meant iOS 8 bugs.

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member

another issue

TouchID doesn't work / popup in Safari

• flaminiom
    flaminiom
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

I have the same issue with TouchID.

I have the master password set to Request After 30 Days and Request Fingerprint After 15 minutes. It will allow me to unlock with TouchID for a while, and then require me to unlock with the master password again. My understanding is with this setting it shouldn't ask for the master password again for 30 days.

iPhone 5s/64GB/Verizon/Gray, iOS 8.0 (12A365), 1Password 5.0 (500008 (N)), Sync via Dropbox

I've also observed the extension order issue in Safari, but not sure if that's a 1Password or iOS 8 issue.

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member

Appreciate the above response and note that I too have dug a little deeper.

I think I understand things (although it is unnecessarily confusing) as it appears that there are two timers i) time between opening with the master password and ii) time before asking for a finger print again...to maximize the amount of time that one can use Touch ID the first needs to be set to 30 days (longest available) while the second can be set to a shorter interval for security (say, two hours)...

I do however wish that the functionality would be different and simpler...to me the best approach would have been to simply allow the use of Touch ID in place of the master password (i.e. in the same way one can use Touch ID to unlock a phone).

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

With respect to the order of the extension, I also noticed that the 1Password shifted back to the far right after I rearranged it to the far left. But I redid the shift and the second time it stuck and remains where I put it. I'd bet a cookie that the issue is an iOS one, not the fault of 1Password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Joelc, @goorchid‌, @prime, @Ciwan‌ and @flaminiom‌

Touch ID "timeouts" meaning that although Touch ID is enabled in stops working after a few minutes and no longer allow log-ins via touch but only via password...after / once the password is entered then the Touch ID starts working again for a few minutes and then, the cylce continues.

You can customize the length of time 1Password will wait before prompting for your Master Password - this setting is independent of whether or not you are using Touch ID. To change this setting, go to Settings > Security and change the value for "Request after". Note that for security reasons, it is impossible to configure 1Password so that it never asks for the Master Password.

To learn more, you can see our guide here:

http://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/touch-id-faq

Please note as well that you must have the 'Use iOS keychain' option enabled in Settings > Advanced. If you do not allow 1Password to store the Master Password in the iOS keychain, then when 1Password is closed in the background (as happens with inactive apps when iOS needs the memory), you will need to enter your Master Password when you open 1Password again.

Extension position...in Safari I added the extension and moved it to the far left only to discover that it moved back to where it started, at the far left...would be great to this sorted as well.

This is a known issue - it seems to be on Apple's end, as users are reporting it with other extensions and not just the 1Password extension. (So I'll certainly not take @hawkmoth's cookie bet!)

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member

Here's how to config for TouchID all the time (except after restart):

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/142823/#Comment_142823

• flaminiom
    flaminiom
    Community Member

I didn't have this, so hopefully that's the missing piece. We'll see how it goes. Thx.

FWIW, it might be helpful to spell this out in the config. :)

Please note as well that you must have the 'Use iOS keychain' option enabled in Settings > Advanced. If you do not allow 1Password to store the Master Password in the iOS keychain, then when 1Password is closed in the background (as happens with inactive apps when iOS needs the memory), you will need to enter your Master Password when you open 1Password again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @flaminiom‌

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these settings get 1Password working for you the way you wish! Of course, we're here to help if you run into any snags. :)

I'll pass your thoughts about the iOS keychain detail along to our docs team. Thanks for the feedback!

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member

Megan, that you, very much appreciated....

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Joelc,

Always happy to help! We're here if you have any further questions. :)

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member

Hiya Megan...long time no post...which means all was dandy...until...TODAY (dum dum dimmmmm)

Here is some detailed testing that hopefully will help you guys with the Touch ID preference being wonky.

I have followed all of Roustem's suggestions to no avail...I have also tried the following.

1. Resetting the security preferences and then Force Quitting from that page -- Next Login Touch ID DOES Prompt
    2. Resetting the security preference and then hitting home button and waiting 0 mins -- No Touch ID prompt
    3. Resetting the security preference and then hitting home button and waiting idle timeout mins -- No Touch ID prompt
    4. Resetting the security preference and NOT hitting home button and waiting idle timeout mins -- Touch ID DOES prompt
    5. NOT Resetting the security preference and NOT hitting home button and waiting idle timeout mins -- Touch ID DOES prompt

So, my lay conclusion, is that Touch ID ONLY WORKS if the idle timer is triggered or a force quit occurs before a manual lock or home button press as in if the App is foreground. Once it goes to sleep...the only way to get Touch ID to work again is by following Scenarios 1, 4, or 5 above.

This obviously sucks...since Scenarios 1,4, and 5 never really occur in real life :-(

Hope this helps...pls let me know...

pax,
    Doctor...just The Doctor...

p.s.
    I'm Scottish now, so tend to have a shorter fuse...so fair warning.

• rafe17
    rafe17
    Community Member

I too am having the same issue as described above. My TouchID deactivates on iPhone 5S running iOS8. The only way it asks for the TouchID is when I disable it and then re-enable it in the settings menu.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Hello Doctor, and @rafe17‌

(Doctor, I'm so glad to hear that things have been working so well that you haven't needed to pop in here, although it's always lovely to see your avatar!)

I've split your comments from the original discussion: Dropbox sync and TouchID deactivating, which was speaking more about Dropbox sync and into a thread discussing TouchID settings.

Please have a look at my post #11 for some details on how TouchID should be behaving for you. The FAQ posted there has some great tips.

If these tips do _not_ get everything working as you would expect, please do let me know and we'll investigate further. :)
  • rafe17
    rafe17
    Community Member

Hi Megan. That's for your quick response. You are absolutely right and changing the setting 'request after' setting to a bit longer i.e. 48hrs enables me to use TouchID for longer. Thank you

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rafe17,

I'm so glad to hear that those steps got things working properly for you! We're here if you have any further questions. :)

• gmpalter
    gmpalter
    Community Member

Hi,

I can't get Touch ID to work for me at all. I have an iPhone 6. "Use iOS Keychain" is enabled. My master password timeout is set to 30 days. When I enable Touch ID, 1P always asks for my master password no matter what I try.

• Hi @gmpalter‌

In Settings > Advanced please try toggling 'Use iOS keychain' off and then back on. Then in Settings > Security please try toggling 'Touch ID' off and then back on.

Please let me know how that turns out. Also: Have you updated to 1Password 5.0.1?

Thanks!

Ben

• gmpalter
    gmpalter
    Community Member

Yes, I'm running 5.0.1.

Also, I had to delete and reinstall 1P because of the "No Pro Features" problem described elsewhere.

I toggled the settings and Touch ID is working at the moment. We'll see how long that lasts.

• wlynes
    wlynes
    Community Member

iPhone 5S running iOS 8.0 and 1Password 5.0.1.

I've followed various instructions on this forum and the latest troubleshooting steps suggested by bmwoodruff and still see 1Password to fail to prompt me to log in with TouchID. All password, all the time.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gmpalter‌,

I'm so glad to hear that @bwoodruff‌'s steps got things working for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed that 1Password continues to behave properly for you. If it acts up again though, you know where to find us. :)

Hi @wlynes,

Could you please confirm for me if you are seeing this in both the main app and the extension? We are currently tracking a bug where 1Password's app extension fails to respect the security settings of the main app, but we're not seeing many cases of the settings not being respected by the main app.

• digitaldog
    digitaldog
    Community Member

Sorry guys, I've tried all the steps outlined and the TouchID doesn't work as I expect it to. I've turned on and off all the buttons you suggest, no go. Here's what I suspect people want: anytime you open the app on iOS, instead of entering the master password, you are asked to use TouchID. That's not possible at this point. Best I can do is set the time for 1 hour in the app and it will ask for unlike via the TouchID.

Here are the steps recommended in another post that didn't work:

Here's a setup that's "TouchID Only except after restart":
    Settings->(scroll to bottom)->Advanced->"Use iOS Keychain" -> ON
    Settings->Security->Touch ID-> ON
    Settings->Security->Request fingerprint... (set as desired)
    Settings->Security->Lock on Exit-> Set to on if you want to have to Touch ID everytime you open the app
    Settings->Security->(in the top section)->Request After-> 30 days

Again, this works but only for the time limit set after which, it always asks for the master keyword. It's a bug unless there is some magic trick here I've yet to discover. Good luck, when it does work, it will be super awesome!

• flaminiom
    flaminiom
    Community Member

Things for me have been good since I told 1Password to delete all data, uninstalled/reinstalled, then do a fresh Dropbox sync. Obviously make sure your master copy is good on Dropbox. It's only been about a day, or so, but that's longer than I've gotten before.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @digitaldog‌

Here's what I suspect people want: anytime you open the app on iOS, instead of entering the master password, you are asked to use TouchID. That's not possible at this point.

You're right, at this time it is not possible to completely disable the prompt for the Master Password. This is because your Master Password is, ultimately, your only way to access your 1Password data. We don't want you to forget this password because you've never had to type it in. That being said, the security preferences that we do offer now can ensure that you enter your Master Password very few times - possibly only when you restart your device.

Again, this works but only for the time limit set after which, it always asks for the master keyword.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this sounds like correct behaviour. If you have set your time limit for 1 hour, then of course 1Password should prompt you for your Master Password after that hour. Please let me know if I am misreading your statement. :)

As is suggested in the previous post that you've quoted, you can set 1Password to only prompt for your Master Password after as long a period as 30 days. Then, as long as you use 1Password more than once every 30 days, you will never have to enter your Master Password (except when you restart your device, of course) because the time-out counter will reset each time you unlock the main app with TouchID.

Hi @flaminiom‌

I'm sorry that you had to go through a bit of a process there, but I'm glad to hear that everything is working nicely for you now! :)

• digitaldog
    digitaldog
    Community Member

If you have set your time limit for 1 hour, then of course 1Password should prompt you for your Master Password after that hour. Please let me know if I am misreading your statement.

Right, but I was hoping I could bypass this such TouchID would work for a longer period. That doesn't appear to be how you've designed the product.
    I understand your point about remembering the master password. But my finger print isn't going to change (as far as I know) so it seems like a good way to unlock the product for an extended period.

As is suggested in the previous post that you've quoted, you can set 1Password to only prompt for your Master Password after as long a period as 30 days. Then, as long as you use 1Password more than once every 30 days, you will never have to enter your Master Password (except when you restart your device, of course) because the time-out counter will reset each time you unlock the main app with TouchID.

That's what isn't working for me. IOW, I did setup the product as outlined. But after 1 hour, I was asked to enter the master password, TouchID stopped working. I wasn't asked to use my fingerprint to unlock.

So let me see if I have this correct. One should be able to have TouchID work longer than one hour right? But after 30 days OR if the phone reboots, I'll be asked to enter the master password after which TouchID should take over? I'm fine with that behavior and think it makes total sense to have these two limitations. What isn't happening, if I understand you correctly is the ability to have TouchID work past 1 hour when the phone has not been shut down.

It seems (again if I'm understanding this correctly) what we need is a "Request Finterprint After" > 30 days. Expect of course if the phone restarts. This would allow TouchID to work for up to 30 days without the need to enter the master password. Using just TouchID.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Hi @digitaldog‌

I'm including a screenshot of my own security settings here in hopes that it will help you understand.

With these settings, here's what happens:

• Request after 30 days: if I have not used 1Password for 30 days, when I open 1Password, it will ask for my Master Password. (You'll notice that's essentially what is written below the 'Request After' field)
    • TouchID is enabled
    • Request Fingerprint is set to After 2 minutes
    • Lock on Exit is enabled. So, any time I move away from the app, 1Password will lock. When I go back to the app, 1Password will request my TouchID ... unless I have been gone from the app for 30 days. If that is the case, 1Password will request my Master Password. Again, these settings are explained just below the 'Lock on Exit' field.

It seems (again if I'm understanding this correctly) what we need is a "Request Finterprint After" > 30 days. Expect of course if the phone restarts. This would allow TouchID to work for up to 30 days without the need to enter the master password. Using just TouchID.

The settings I've just shown you above will give you exactly the behaviour you describe. Perhaps the confusion is coming in the wording of the existing text?

We are working on making these settings more clear, because you're certainly not the only one who's getting a bit tangled up here.

This discussion has been closed.