(Re)install 1Password for iOS from App Store on an iPhone 4

Options
Ted Jangius
Ted Jangius
Community Member

Hello.

A few days back my wife started trying 1Password 4 for iOS out on her iPhone 4, and was satisfied with it. Since she was only gonna test it for a while I logged in to her App Store and downloaded my previously purchased version for her. Now, when I heard you went to a freemium model I figured that the free version might very well be what she needs.

I uninstalled her 1PW 4 from the device and headed to the App Store to reinstall with her login.
How ever, as I was doing this the App Store informed me that 1PW 5 requires iOS 8 ... an iOS version she can't install.

I would rather not have to iCloud restore her device just to get the App back, if that even works, since that reinstalls the latest versions anyway, doesn't it?
Please advice.

Best regards,
Ted

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Ted,

I apologize for the trouble here. 1Password 5 for iOS takes advantage of a number of awesome features that were added in iOS 8, including Touch ID and Extensions. As such, 1Password for iOS now requires iOS 8. I’m sorry to say that since your wife is not able to upgrade to iOS 8, she will not be able to install 1Password 5 for iOS. Also, since 1Password 5 is an update rather than a totally new app, she will no longer be able to install 1Password 4 either. If she does decide to upgrade to an iOS 8 compatible device, we would be more than happy to help her get set up with 1Password 5.

Now, you might be able to get away with doing what you did before and logging in to the App Store with your AppleID and installing 1Password 4 again. You should be able to find it in the App Store > Updates > Purchases. Please let me know if this works!

• gymmom
    gymmom
    Community Member
    Options

Are you effing kidding me? I've been telling my girlfriend how awesome 1PW is, but we spent half the day today (missing part of the Pats/Broncos game) trying to troubleshoot why she continually got an iOS incompatibility error when she tried to download it. Are you seriously telling me that because she has an iPhone4 she's unable to download the relevant version from the app store? That's total crapola! I thought the app store was backwards compatible. I have an iPhone4 and have never had a version compatibility issue with any app I've attempted to install. Please tell me there's a workaround for this or I'm going to be royally POed!

• Ben
    Options

Are you seriously telling me that because she has an iPhone4 she's unable to download the relevant version from the app store?

Yes. Apple did not release iOS 8 for the iPhone 4. If they had, it would likely have run so poorly it wouldn't be worth while anyway:

In order to do amazing things like the new Safari extension ( http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/09/17/1password-5-ios-how-to-enable-the-extension-safari-apps/ ) we had to go iOS 8-only.

I have an iPhone4 and have never had a version compatibility issue with any app I've attempted to install.

You'll likely start running into more and more as the iPhone 4 hardware is now 4 years old and cannot run the latest software.

This discussion has been closed.