No 1Password data was found on iCloud. [Fix steps in post #3]

Options
DubDJ
DubDJ
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

So I updated to 1Password 5.0 yesterday along with iOS 8. I'm currently setting both versions up for iPhone and iPad, Going to 'Sync existing vault > Sync with iCloud' but I'm getting a message that 'Existing Data Not Found' with an explanation that no iCloud data was found.

I'm using it on iOS only, all up-to-date. I've checked my iCloud storage and the 1Password data is there, but for some reason version 5 can't find it. I've been unable to setup either the iPhone or iPad. I've enabled iCloud Drive on all my devices and 1Password is toggled on to use iCloud. I've no idea what to do next. I've a lot of passwords saved and no plan on loosing them. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app, enabled and disabled iCloud. Hoping for some help.

Comments

• Danil Seleznev
    Danil Seleznev
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I have same issue. Just done IOS 8 fresh install on my iPhone and iPad. I think 1pass data should transfer if you do the update from iOS settings or iTunes update tab. Overvise were is no way to sync your "old" data with updated app. That is very sad, I hope developers do somthing with this problem in couple of days. Also I can't unlock pro version on my iPad, iPhone version upgraded well. P.S. Sorry for bad English.

• Hi guys. If you want to see your existing data in iCloud, you'll need to first upgrade to iOS 8 from a device which already has 1Password (and your data) on it. That way, the data will be pushed to the new iCloud sync system, and your other iOS 8 devices will then be able to connect to it. 1Password 5 won't be able to see iCloud data created by older versions of 1Password. Please check out our CloudKit FAQ for more details about this:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/cloudkit-faq

• DubDJ
    DubDJ
    Community Member
    Options

So I found a work around for my problem. I downloaded 1Password for Mac as a trial. I installed that which then found the iCloud data and all my passwords were available. I then went into preferences and changed the sync option to Dropbox sync. Once it had synced the 1Password data I setup the 1Password 5 on both my devices this time using Dropbox. Everything synced to my iPad and iPhone fine. Using 1Password on iOS I then changed the sync settings back to iCloud. This seemed to work fine, but just to be sure I deleted all data from one device and set it up from new, this time I again tried iCloud sync and it worked perfectly.

1. So download a trial version from: https://agilebits.com/downloads
    2. Install it and it should find the 1Password file on iCloud and add all your passwords.
    3. In preferences change the sync setting to Dropbox sync and add your Dropbox account.
    4. Once it has synced your data to Dropbox setup the iOS app using dropbox sync
    5. Once the iOS app has downloaded all your passwords from Dropbox you can change the app preferences to sync with iCloud.
    6. You can then setup any new devices using iCloud again

What went wrong for me is my iOS 8 update failed and the backup also failed, I then had to setup from scratch which meant I no longer had 1Password running on iOS with all my data. Hope the above helps somebody out, i'm just glad I got all my data back.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DubDJ‌

I'm so glad to hear you were able to get things sorted out! Thanks so much for sharing your steps here. I'm sorry that this was a bit of a process for you though, if you have any further questions, we're here to help! :)

• DubDJ
    DubDJ
    Community Member
    Options

Just glad I didn't lose any data :) Thanks for the quick response though, it's a great support team.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DubDJ‌

Believe me - we're really happy to hear you didn't lose data either - that's never fun! I hope everything works smoothly for you from now on. (And thanks for the kind words - you rock!)

• Suz
    Suz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi as a newbie to 1pw ios, I am a bit concerned about backup. I only have 1pw on iphone & iPad none on mac. I have the devices syncing 1pw with Dropbox. How do I backup and if worst happens how do i restore from Dropbox. I hope to get 1pw for mac sometime after Yosemite arrives then hope to backup to the cloud and time machine. But for now it's a worry.....:-/

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Suz,

Syncing your data to Dropbox acts as an automatic backup. If anything ever happens to one of your devices, you still have a copy of your data stored safely in the cloud.

If you ever need to restore your data from Dropbox, simply select 'sync with Dropbox' from the 1Password app and 1Password will locate your data in your Dropbox folder for you and prompt you for your Master Password to unlock your data.

In addition to the handy-ness of your data being stored in the cloud, 1Password also makes daily backups whenever it notices that your data has changed. (So, if you don't make any changes to your database for a week, 1Password won't keep making duplicate backups, but it will create a fresh one when it notices that you have updated an entry.)

I hope this helps you feel a bit more secure. But we're here if you have any further questions or concerns! :)

• Suz
    Suz
    Community Member
    Options

That explains everything perfectly Megan, thank you again. :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Suz,

Happy to help! We're here if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

• ledsteplin
    ledsteplin
    Community Member
    Options

I do! I've had 1Password for a long while. I had to restore my iPhone and when I downloaded 1Password I couldn't
    Log in. I got the data not found message. I don't have a computer. I have the data in iCloud, but it doesn't see it. So now what? I don't get why they make it so complicated. We should be able to just log in just like with Dropbox or OneDrive and the passwords still be there. I may as well just store my passwords in Box.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ledsteplin ,

I've replied to your other forum post, and I see you've also emailed in to our team. Let's keep the conversation going directly via email from now on, so that we don't end up duplicating efforts or causing any confusion. You should see an email response from our team soon. We'll get this sorted out for you - no worries!

ref: DSI-16595-337

• ledsteplin
    ledsteplin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Megan you are very welcome!

This discussion has been closed.