iOS 8 and 1Password4/5 breaks internet connection [Use a public DNS server on iOS devices]

edallas
edallas
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

I upgraded to iOS 8 and now every time I launch 1 Password it kills my internet connection. Safari, Chrome or the App Store. Doesn't matter I cant get a connection back until I reboot the phone.
I have stayed with iCloud (no iDrive yet) and have a relatively new iPhone 5s. Also I don't know if this is the 1 Password 4 or 5. I've re downloaded it from the app store - the essentials version - on the phone but that didn't work either. I can't even sync - it pops an 'this operation couldn't be completed. (CKErrorDomain error 4)' error message.

Any ideas?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@edallas‌

Are you receiving this notification on 3G/LTE etc. Have you tried it on wifi. A similar thing happened to another user and that user had disabled 1Password from using cell data.

Just a couple quick thoughts as I passed by.

Cheers,

• edallas
    edallas
    Community Member

I just tried creating a new vault. This seems to work.

It only seems to go wonky when I try to access something over the internet like syncing (still get that error message). It happens over wi-fi or lte.

And weirdly enough it seems to come back after a few minutes. On safari the progress bar seems to just stop at about 10% and wait there for a few minutes then continue. The next refresh of the page happens almost instantaneously - very weird.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @edallas‌

That is strange - thanks for bringing it to our attention! I'd like to take a closer look at your device to see if we can determine where things are getting tangled.

Please create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Benyon4
    Benyon4
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Im guessing it's something to do with the fact that I was using iCloud to sync but that messed up with ios8 (didn't realise before installing). Used wifi sync but still having issues! Really really annoying!

• mdholmes
    mdholmes
    Community Member

Same issue for me. Internet is killed for a couple of minutes after opening 1password. Also sync with dropbox keeps failing and turning off. Plus I'm having issues with touch ID - it works fine when I'm prompted but often I just get the password box and no prompt to use touch ID.

• Benyon4
    Benyon4
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

I have the two issues flagged by mdholmes also. Hadn't considered these could be related issues. I've submitted s diagnostic report.

• If anyone having this issue has not submitted a diagnostic report per Megan's recommendation please do so. :)

I don't imagine the touch ID issue is related (though not ruling that out). Please see this post for info about touch ID:

• edallas
    edallas
    Community Member

I've uploaded a log file to you

• Benyon4
    Benyon4
    Community Member

FYI - iOS 8.02 has fixed this issue for me.

• edallas
    edallas
    Community Member

unfortunately no joy with iOS 8.02 for me - still seeing the issue.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Hi @edallas,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: SHL-14562-549

Hi @Benyon4‌

Thanks so much for letting us know that iOS 8.0.2 has gotten things sorted out for you! If it's alright with you, I'll close your existing email to support - if you have any further questions or concerns, we're here for you!

ref: WXX-11534-198

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member

Hi all, I just sent this e-mail to AgileBits support. Maybe someone here can help.

"Hi,

Everytime I open your app, I lose my internet connection (not the Wi-Fi, but the connection itself) and I have to reset my router. I’ve tested this in several occasions on different iDevices (iPhone 5s, 2 different ones).

Yesterday alone, I had to reset my router about 10 times, not knowing it was your app causing this. After deleting the app and checking the connection this morning, internet was just fine. Me and my girlfriend both just downloaded the app again, and immediately the connection is lost. Had to reset the router twice again.

What is causing this and how can I solve this?

Something else: before deleting the app, I made sure to make a backup, but the backup is nowhere to be found? What’s the use of this option exactly? I spent an hour processing al my personal information into your app, and now it’s gone?

Thanks in advance.

Bram from Holland"

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Everytime I open your app, I lose my internet connection

There is a slightly inconclusive thread about that problem here but one user reported that the update to iOS 8.0.2 solved the problem. What version of iOS 8 are you running?

I made sure to make a backup, but the backup is nowhere to be found

I'm assuming you mean that when you reinstalled 1P5 it couldn't see the backup created by the deleted version. Normally when you delete an iOS app you get a warning that deleting the app will delete all the associated data (which I assume would include backups). I'm afraid that's what will have happened.

Do you have any iTunes backups of your iDevices made after your entered 1P5 data but before you deleted and reinstalled the app?

Stephen

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member

Hi Stephen,

I am on the latest iOS version.

Have to check if I have any backups available (iCloud), but at this point, the app is worthless to me.

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member

I have the same issue. I have to reset me router in order to have internet again. Please let me know if there is a solution.

• mdholmes
    mdholmes
    Community Member

Hi, I've emailed a diagnostics report.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Sausbert‌ I have merged the two relevant threads so that all discussions are kept in the same place.

Stephen

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

I downloaded the app again and also mailed a diagnostics report. Hopefully this will be resolved. Can't find a better app with Touch ID support.

Restarting my router now. ;)

edit: If it helps pinpointing the issue: I just tried the following:

Reinstall via 4G. Turned iOS keychain off, disabled iCloud syncing (at first startup). None helped. After turning Wi-Fi on and accessing the app, internet connection fails.

• edallas
    edallas
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Teated with iOS 8.0.2 LTE seems to work, but wi-fi still locks up.

• Hi guys,

I'm sorry about the problems you're having. We are investigating to see what's going on. Our latest theory is that we're triggering some kind of bug(s) in the iOS and/or OS X networking system, which wouldn't surprise us as we've seen other iOS 8 Wi-Fi issues unrelated to 1Password.

Right now, we need to collect everybody's diagnostic report to figure out the patterns as to where the issue may be. If we find something, we can try to work around this or file bug reports with Apple to help them investigate this as well.

Keep in mind that 1Password does not trigger the sync with iCloud, it merely writes the data locally and iOS itself handles the sync in the background. That's why this is a bit confusing at the moment because to see some saying it happens with Wi-Fi sync as well, it suggests something else instead.

@Sausbert,

Reinstall via 4G. Turned iOS keychain off, disabled iCloud syncing (at first startup). None helped. After turning Wi-Fi on and accessing the app, internet connection fails.

Please do this, disable the Wi-Fi first, and open 1Password:

1. Disable the sync completely for 1Password in Settings > Sync. Make sure nothing is syncing after this.
    2. Go to Settings > Display and uncheck Show Rich Icons
    3. Close the app, and go to the device's Setttings.app > General > Background App Refresh and turn it off for 1Password.
    4. Enable Wi-Fi, make sure the connection is working, and then open 1Password, see if it works at all.
  • Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member

Hi MikeT. Just tried this. Didn't work. :-(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sausbert,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! Taking a closer look at your system with this Report is probably the best way to get your issue sorted out, since the steps Mike suggested didn't work for you.

I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: MBA-36872-835

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member

Thanks. You guys are very helpful. :-)

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. :)

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Little update.

I tried it with my ISP modem/router (so not the "problem" router, that's connected to the ISP modem), and that one gives no problem. It's really the Netgear router, on both 2,4 and 5 Ghz bands. The reason I use the Netgear router, is because it reaches higher internet speeds (5G).

Been chatting with Netgear support for the last few hours and tried several things like adding my devices IP/MAC address, and tried adjusting QoS settings. Unfortunately still no luck. :(

edit: A wired connection to my Netgear router gives no problems. It's purely the Wi-Fi connection that is however intact, but is not able to pass data. Websites load to about 10%.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sausbert,

I see that you've already been talking with one of our support gurus - you're in good hands! If anyone can get your problem solved, it's Kyle. :)

Thanks for the update, I've added these details to the email thread so that Kyle knows exactly what's up. It's great to know that you do have a modem/router that behaves properly. It's a good start!

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member

Thanks, you're sweet. ;)

Sh*t keeps getting weirder though. I just had a connection for a tiny second, and then it failed again. But I was still able to chat with the lady at Netgear. However, I wasn't able to send her a screenshot through the chat screen. So there is very little data transfer available. That's probably the reason my browser keeps loading until 10%.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sausbert,

Thanks again for the updates! Since Kyle is working with you on this issue via email, it would be best if you would reply directly to him via email rather than posting here. It's not that I'm not enjoying the conversation, but as I mentioned, Kyle is one of our technical gurus, and he's in a much better position to help you out than I am. The best I can do for you here is to copy your updates into the email thread so that Kyle can easily see the data that he needs.

I do hope that this situation is quickly resolved for you. :)

• RTBaker
    RTBaker
    Community Member

Hi, I an seeing exactly the same problems as Sausbert. All is well on iPad and Mac but 1password is unusable, as it's never managed to sync, on my iPhone 6 plus with iOS 8.0.2. Internet connection fails and I have to reset to get it back

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member

I'm sorry to say that Kyle unfortunately does not have a solution. I'm switching back to Last Pass. I'm not buying a new router because of an app.

Thanks for the help and the quick responses anyway. I'll try again in the future.

This discussion has been closed.