Reinstalling 1Password on iPhone 4 running IOS 7

Options
MacPass
MacPass
Community Member

Until last Friday, I was running 1Password on my then iPhone 4 running iOS 7. Then, I got my new iPhone 6 and installed the new 1Password 5 (YEAH!!!). My old iPhone 4 is now my wife's phone, and I want her to have 1Password on it. However, the iTunes App Store only has 1Password 5, which requires iOS 8. How do I solve this problem and get 1Password back on the iPhone 4, now my wife's phone?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Is she using the same Apple ID that you did? If so, you should be able to find it in the Purchased section of the App Store. If she hasn't ever had 1Password on her own and if she uses a different Apple ID than you do, I don't believe there is a way to get version 4 anymore.

• MacPass
    MacPass
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, the latter is the case. Bummer!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You could have her log out of her iTunes account and then back in with yours. She should be able to find version 4 in the purchased section then and download it. Is she a new iOS user? If she is, and I were she, I would continue using your account for media and application purposes, just so you can share. She can still use her own Apple ID for other things like email or iCloud. But if she has her own purchases from the AppStore or iTunes, she can still download a copy of version 4 on your account, then log back out and I to hers again. She won't get update notices on applications downloaded that way, but the May not matter in this case.

Just a suggestion. This might be frowned on from a licensing point of view. Not sure, but I've read about doing this here in these forums and the posts haven't been deleted.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MacPass,

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. 1Password 5 for iOS takes advantage of a number of awesome features that were added in iOS 8, including Touch ID and Extensions. As such, 1Password for iOS now requires iOS 8. I’m sorry to say that since you are not able to upgrade to iOS 8 on your wife's iPhone, she will not be able to install 1Password 5 for iOS. Also, since 1Password 5 is an update rather than a totally new app, you will no longer be able to install 1Password 4 either.

Now, as @hawkmoth says, there is a bit of a workaround available to you. You can install 1Password 4 for iOS onto her device by temporarily signing in to the App Store with your AppleID. I do want to caution you against too much switching between AppleIDs though. We have heard cases of Apple preventing further switches for a certain period of time (say, 90 days) if you've switched too frequently. Doing it once for 1Password 4 for iOS shouldn't be a problem, but it's likely not something you want to make a habit out of. :)

• Ybot
    Ybot
    Community Member
    Options

I joined these Forums to share my experience on this topic. Thanks to what I read here, I found a way to retrieve 1Password 4.5. I had lost it when I restored my iPhone 4 using iTunes.

What happens when you restore your phone is the system gets reset to zero. Ideally all your apps and documents can then be reinstalled from the last backup. My backup contained two versions of 1Password: 1Password 3, and 1Password 5. Note the 5. It is a version that will not run on iOS 7 and the iPhone 4!

Why then did I have it at all? I had it because I had updated 1Password to version 4.5 using iTunes on my Mac -- not the App Store on my iPhone. When the 1Password 5 update option came along, iTunes offered it and downloaded it, but it did not replace the copy of version 4.5 that I had on the iPhone 4. My problem then became this: I had no backup of 1Password 4.5, but I didn't know it. When I restored the iPhone from backup, iTunes installed 1Password 5 on an iPhone that wouldn't run it!

That left me with 1Password 3.7 on the iPhone 4, and this version won't sync with Dropbox. I tried.

Thanks to this topic thread, I went to the App Store on my Mac and looked for a previously purchased version of 1Password. The Mac version was there, that was all. I went to iTunes and couldn't find 1Password 4.5 using the App Store connection there. But when I ran the App Store on the iPhone 4, and with fingers crossed tried downloading the latest version of 1Password 5, the App Store told me sorry, I couldn't run 1Password 5 on this device, and would I like to have a previous version. Oh yes, I totally would!

This is how I got 1Password 4.5 back on my iPhone 4 running iOS 7. Thank you to all who posted here.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ybot,

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with that!

I'm very surprised to hear that iTunes installed 1Password 5 on your iPhone 4 with iOS 7. That shouldn't be possible, since 1Password 5 requires iOS 8. But I'm glad you were able to figure out how to reinstall 1Password 4! :smiley:

The original problem in this discussion was that a new purchase could not be made for 1Password 4 for iOS (there's a workaround for that, described here). Since you had previously purchased version 4, you just needed to reinstall that from App Store > Updates > Purchased (it shows up as version 5 in that list, but when you try to reinstall it, the App Store gives the option to install the latest version that supports iOS 7).

Thanks again for letting us know! If you need anything else, we're always happy to help.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, @eti97 you are right that the App Store will ask you to install an older version of an app if the current one can't be installed - but only if you purchased the app before on a device that could install the current version.

Another possibility for you @MacPass could be to download 1Password 5 via iTunes with your wife's Apple ID and then download a previous version (1Password 4) on her iPhone 4.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eti97,

Keeping your software up to date is always a good suggestion - thanks for chiming in here. :) If you have any other questions about 1Password, we're happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.