Under the impression it was possible to create multiple vaults with Pro features

Options
dinnid
dinnid
Community Member
edited October 2015 in iOS

I was only introduced to this product on iOS and never wanted to use win/mac. The info-graphic for the profeatures makes it seem like you can create multiple vaults, and doesn't say Windows and Mac is required. Also, adding the demo vault just creates a new vault as if that's the workflow, and it's as easy as clicking a button to add a new vault. It never says anthing like "oh, you can't really do this in iOS, this vault was really created in windows or mac."

Is this going to be a feature added or did I just lose 10 bucks? I think the app is great, but now I don't know what to do. It's the only thing in the pro feature pack that I wanted. If it's not going to be a feature, can you make it more obvious in the app so that others don't feel like I feel? Even if that's all you did then I guess at least I'd feel my money went to something.

Thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dinnid,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry if you feel mislead. The Pro features add support for multiple vaults but vault creation (apart from the Demo vault) is not available on iOS at the time of this writing.

We don't normally discuss future features since many things affect when (and even whether or not) we include them in the app. Some of the factors are beyond our control, and we really hate letting people down if we promise something but ultimately are unable to deliver on that promise.

Vault creation on iOS is definitely on our list, and I've added your vote. I just can't say when or if it would be available.

For now, you can use the free trial of 1Password for Mac or Windows to create a secondary vault and sync it to 1Password for iOS without spending a penny more.

I'll see if we can make the current situation clearer, and I've sent you a PM with more details.

Cheers!

• next2you
    next2you
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, I thought I would get the multiple vault feature. Then I discovered:

• you can only create vaults on the Mac app
    • my Mac App can't use iCloud (Yosemite and iOS 8 required)
    • you can only use iCloud when downloading from the Apple AppStore, this means no upgrade pricing or free upgrades (not supported by MacAppStore)
    • when trying to switch to DropBox Sync in iOS, syncing is "disabled", I cannot move the primary account on iOS from iCloud sync to drop box sync

So maybe the product is good, the description for the pro feature is very misleading:
    "Multiple Vaults: Create sets of items and share them with others"

Please just make very clear that the "Multiple Vault" support is only there in combination with the Desktop app.

Christian

• Hi Christian,

We're discussing how we can best update this wording to be clear what it includes. Thanks for the feedback.

As for the difficulty switching from iCloud to Dropbox, please create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• evade
    evade
    Community Member
    Options

I also just purchased 1P because I like the thought of being able to create multiple vaults and tags but was mistaken in thinking this could be done with ios.) It looks like the wording for multiple vaults has been changed (I wish it clear before I made this purchase), see below:

"Multiple vaults and secure sharing"
    "You can create and share multiple vaults with 1Password for Mac, now you can add those vaults to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch."

Is the wording for tags is still misleading or am I mistaken. Documentation under "Folders, favorites, and tags" is not clear but there is a picture of an iphone using tags. Can tags be created using my iphone or ipad; or do I need a windows / mac version? (ios ad wording for tags needs to be more clear).

I'm disappointed it takes so much time to try and figure all of this out only to find out it can't be done.
    Thanks

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

As much as I would love to see multiple vaults in 1Password for iOS, I can understand that Agilebits doesn't offer this feature as iOS is not a full fledged OS unlike OS X. Evernote has a similar restricted feature set issue for their mobile offerings.

• Ben
    Options

@evade‌

I'm sorry for the frustration. iOS (w/ pro features) can read tags created on Mac/Windows but cannot create tags itself.

• evade
    evade
    Community Member
    Options

Hi bwoodruff,

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I figured but searched everywhere for the answer.

• dinnid
    dinnid
    Community Member
    Options

I created a new vault in the trial and that worked for me. While not ideal, I don't feel cheated, as I got what I wanted.

Thanks

• Hi guys,

@evade, stay tuned for the upcoming 1Password 5.1 for iOS, I believe you're going to like it.

@dinnid, I'm glad you got it through the trial apps. We'll find a way to make up for our mistake here with the misleading statement.

• Elisalein
    Elisalein
    Community Member
    Options

Hello people from Agilebits,

I am afraid I do feel cheated. I too purchased the pro version on my iphone, because of the promise it would enable me to create multiple vaults. At first I thought I was missing something, so I sent an email via the app to inquire after the way to go about creating new vaults. I never got any reply, disappointingly.

And now I find on this site that it is not possible at all?!
    Quite frankly, I'd like my money back.

Hoping someone will reply this time,
    Kind regards

• Hi @Elisalein,

I'm sorry about the inaccurate statement, we've fixed it a while ago to say Access all your vaults created in 1Password for Mac or Windows. The iOS app cannot create new vaults at the moment. If you have a desktop version of 1Password, you can create new vaults there and then sync it to your iOS app.

I can't find your email in our support system, can you send me a private message here with the email address you used to contact us? I checked using your email address listed in your forum profile.

• MrWW
    MrWW
    Community Member
    Options

On top of that what was said above could you please let us know why you make people to sync new vaults via Drobbox? Why it is not possible to sync via WI-FI? Thank you for your answer.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @MrWW‌

Currently Dropbox is the only sync technology we have that allows for multiple vaults. We hope to bring multiple vault support to the other sync technologies in the future. Thanks!

• QuarterSwede
    QuarterSwede
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I don't feel mislead as I was a 1Password customer before this was a feature but I do hope this feature comes to iOS as that's now my main computing device. I have an older Mac that doesn't support 1P4 or later so I'm stuck not being able to create any extra vaults; I'd like to create one for each of my kids.

Also, buying a new Mac is fairly low on this powerusers priority list as iOS does everything I need to do day to day and I imagine that's the case for most regular users these days. I know it is for my nontechie wife.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @QuarterSwede,

The expenditure of an entirely new Mac just for that one small task would be extravagant so I don't blame you. Can I ask, how do you imagine your setup looking in the end if you could?

Is the goal a secondary vault per kid on your iOS device and they have that as their single vault? I think we potentially work that out using just the current version of 1Password although it might require a little effort and it would have to be using Dropbox.

If that's something you're interested in give us a yell :smile:

• viveks22
    viveks22
    Community Member
    Options

The problem reported in Sept 2014 continues to be there in Aug 2015. Or is it by design?

I had the same misunderstanding that you can create multiple vaults. I spent almost 4 hrs trying to figure out what I was doing wrong only to finally stumble on this thread and realize this is not a supported feature. Now reading back the description more carefully for pro features, I do realize it was worded in a way to indicate it's only for Win and Mac. So it was definitely my fault to not be careful.

Then why do I feel that I was misled? Maybe because in your vault settings you have an option to "Sync additional vaults". Maybe because your iOS page for Vault shows a phone picture with "Add Vault" option and I uninstalled/installed multiple times to see why am I not getting it.

The reality is that this was indeed a cool feature to have and the biggest reason I purchased this app over others at same/less price. The benefits overclouded my judgement to be cautious enough that there could be a catch. Having said that, it does mean I purchased the app for wrong reasons. And it's unlikely I will ever buy a Win or Mac version because I want to keep my private data only on my phone and more so because of the experience.

Hope your product manager thinks through before claiming a feature in future. And I as a consumer will also think (and read) through before making a purchase from you.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @viveks22,

I'm sorry you misunderstood our description of how this feature works (particularly the requirement of using 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows). That said, you may still be able to accomplish what you'd like to do without any additional purchase. Both our Mac and Windows products have 30 day fully functional trial versions which you could use to create an empty secondary vault and sync that to iOS. You can then delete 1Password (and any associated data) from your computer (after disabling 1Password sync on the computer), but continue to use your secondary vault.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• mountwe
    mountwe
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add to the chorus. I purchased the pro version so I could create multiple vaults. When the only extra vault I could create on my iPhone was the Demo vault, and I could not even create that on Mac - just a folder - I searched Google to find out what I was missing. Imagine my disappointment to find that I, like several others, have discovered that you can't do this. Sorry, but I don't think you need to change any wording; I think you need to implement what many understood to be a capability. That doesn't exist. Thank you.

• Hi @mountwe,

1Password for Mac can indeed create additional vaults. You can find instructions here:
    https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/multiple-vaults.html

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• mountwe
    mountwe
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff,

So I CAN create additional vaults on Mac. Great news! Sorry for the oversight!

So I'll find out tonight but - - - I can create additional vaults on Mac. Will they sync to iPhone and iPad?

• No worries! Multiple vaults can sync between Mac and iOS via either WiFi or Dropbox. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• mountwe
    mountwe
    Community Member
    Options

Outstanding! I'm a fan again. :p

• Very glad to hear it. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not asking for a timeline, but..

is syncing vaults between devices via iCloud on your list of 'wants'?

• At this point iCloud doesn't support sharing vaults, and as such I imagine multiple vaults is likely not going to be a high priority for it.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. Thanks

• You're welcome. Sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for.

• zvi
    zvi
    Community Member
    Options

Had to get a refund after I realised I can't create new vaults. The pro version shouldn't be exist if you don't let user do any of the important features. If the mac version was free I would of understood. but it cost 40 pounds. Very disappointing considering that you have a great product.

• Hi @zvi,

It is possible to create any additional vaults needed with the trial version of 1Password for Mac, and then once completed you can uninstall the trial version. No purchase of 1Password for Mac is necessary to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Ben

• mountwe
    mountwe
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff,

I was able to create an additional vault on my Mac. However, I find no way to to access/sync it on my iPhone. I have looked at the instructions. They say, "Just tap on the icon in the upper left corner of the Favorites, Categories, or Organize tabs and pick the vault you'd like to switch to." I see the icon on my Mac. There is NO icon on my iPhone.

I'm running 1Password 5 on my Mac and apparently 5.5 on my iPhone. What am I missing?

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.