“I’m new to 1Password” option does not appear at first login after uninstall/re-install

Options
Jacob Silverman
Jacob Silverman
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

I had trouble uninstalling 1Password 4 on Mac OS X with the uninstaller. I did an automatic and then a manual uninstall as described here: https://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/uninstall.html but then when I re-installed the 1Password App from the App store it opened the "Enter your Master Password" dialog box (instead of the new user/old user dialog box). I could enter my master password from the old repository and it would unlock 1Password and show all my old log-in data. I checked (and removed) any backup files in the app preferences. I also unlinked, un-synced 1Password from dropbox and iCloud. I checked my iCloud for any 1Password files using my iPhone "Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage" (nothing was there). I had been syncing with dropbox. I lost hope, thinking I would be stuck with these log-ins forever.

I found this article about containers: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/87745, I moved both the "XXXX.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper" and "com.agilebits.onepassword-osx" folders. I used the auto-uninstaller and went through the manual uninstall instructions again. I restarted my computer. I went to the app store, re-downloaded 1Password and it started up. No windows appeared. I sent my cursor to the menu bar (top of screen) and hit window>1Password and the "Enter your Master Password" dialog box appeared again except this time my master password does not unlock the vault. Instead the lock icon on the right hand side of the text entry field turns as if it is going to unlock and then nothing happens. I can click the lock icon and it just swivels from locked to unlocked positions. I can access the menu bar and the preferences pane (General>Security>Watchtower etc.) but it says I need to login to make changes there. There are no backups or sync settings listed there either. I tried the whole process again twice more (inc. auto uninstall, manual uninstall, moving containers then drag icons to trash, empty trash and restart) and the problem is recurring. I have OS X 10.9.5 and 1Password V4.4.1 (441006) Mac App Store. Someone send help because I think I broke the internet.

The end goal is: I want to create a new user because this is now my work computer (it was my personal computer) and I want to remove all my personal stuff. I'm going to set up a second vault in a shared dropbox folder (using my personal 1Password account) and access it from the work computer with a work 1password account so that if someone at work has access to my work computer they don't have access to my personal 1Password account. Thanks!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The knowledge base guide on starting over is here. Forgive me if effectively that's among the things you've tried but I thought it worth pointing out. If you follow that exactly (or have already done so) and it doesn't work do please post back.

Stephen

• Jacob Silverman
    Jacob Silverman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I tried the steps in the link above and it did not work. I am still stuck with the master password dialog box that is not responding to my master password. I have now also tried double clicking the username.agilekeychain file in my dropbox shared folder to "open with" 1Password. 1Password opens but no window appears until I go to the menu bar > windows > 1Password. But even then I get the unresponsive master password dialog box again.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Have you re-booted since re-installing? If not, you might just try that. I suspect if that doesn't work you might be asked to send a diagnostic report to AgileBits (don't post it here)—but it's probably better to wait until someone from AgileBits weighs into this thread.

Sorry not to be able to help further at the moment.

Stephen

• Jacob Silverman
    Jacob Silverman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Stephen_C‌ you're a legend I have tried re-booting and still stuck so I will wait for the AgileBits weigh in. Cheers!

• Hi @Jacob Silverman,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having. Please email your diagnostic report to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and we'll figure out what's going on.

Just FYI:

I had trouble uninstalling 1Password 4 on Mac OS X with the uninstaller. I did an automatic and then a manual uninstall as described here: https://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/uninstall.html

That wouldn't work with 1Password 4, the automatic uninstaller is for 1Password 3 only.

I re-installed the 1Password App from the App store

That's also a different version from 1Password 4 at our web store, your data for the Mac App Store would be stored in separate folders.

The proper uninstall guide is the one that Stephen linked, https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/4/en/topic/how-do-i-start-over. I'm surprised it didn't work for you as that's the only proper way to remove data. We'll see what the diagnostic report says and help you get it fixed.

• Jacob Silverman
    Jacob Silverman
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌ I tried downloading the report generator from the link here: https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html and the web page would not load in chrome or safari. Then i tried wget in terminal and i get terminal output "Connecting to cdn.agilebits.com [etc]... failed: connection refused." What is the correct link for the report generator? Can you private message (or email) the zip file to me?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

For the report generator have you tried using the link at the start of the link in my post #4 above?

Stephen

• Jacob Silverman
    Jacob Silverman
    Community Member
    Options

No, but now I have and it has worked! I'll let you know if/when/how the issue is resolved.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jacob,

We've received your email with the report; thanks for sending that in. We'll review it and follow up with you again as soon as we can to recommend how you can fix this problem.

ref: PXC-89377-468

This discussion has been closed.