MacRumors password help

Hi all

I have been using 1password on Macrumors forums and wanted some help when I create a login from the saved window it does not save the password but saves some kind of 30 number character string to log into the site. If change the 30 number character string to my password generated by 1password it will not log in I have to put back the 30 number character string to log in.

if I paste my password into the password box of macrumors it works but if I paste the 30 number character string in the password box it does not log in.

what i am trying to say is when you type your user name and password into the user/pawword box of the macrumors site and 1password asks to save it which I do and then go to the 1password manager the password is not the password but some sort of 30 number character string.

the only way to save my password is to put it into the notes box to remember it just in case I need to change it in the future. I have never come across a site that does that.

is this normal do you know why it does this isthis some sort of macrumors atuo filling in security or something.

thanks

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@meridius‌, I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Where did the "30 number character string" come from?

Did you use 1Password's built-in password generator to create it, is it something the MacRumors forum provided (if so, where and when?), or did it come from somewhere else?

Where and when are you trying to use the string? Is it when you're logging in to your MacRumors forum account, when you're trying to change your password on the forum site, or somewhere else?

Also, what version of what browser on what platform are you using, and what version of 1Password and its browser extension are you using?

I'm hopeful that we can figure out what's going on and get things working for you, @meridius.

• meridius
    meridius
    Community Member

ok I try to explain better

Using
    Windows 7 Pro, IE11 and 1password V 4.0.1.503

Now when you go to this site page http://forums.macrumors.com/ you will see two boxes on the top right one for user name and one for password. I now type my user name and password into them boxes myself and log in then 1password asks me if you want to save this site to the password list which I do.

(I am going to use pretend user names and password below as examples to try and show what I mean)

my user name and log in that get saved into 1password when I log into macrumours are
    user: jack24
    password: black123

I then go to 1password main program to edit macrumors password because I want to change to a more secure one that 1password generates, but here's the problem.

when you go to the macrumors login and edit it it now has this
    password: 3kjghie749ytjr854398jt845u834jg

not that password: black123, I then leave the password alone which is password:3kjghie749ytjr854398jt845u834jg and log out of macrumours the log back into the site using you 1password program and it logs in no problem but what I have noticed is that you do see the username get entered but not the password but it still logs me in.

ok so I log back out go back to 1password and change the password from 3kjghie749ytjr854398jt845u834jg to black123 which is the correct password and then try to log back into macrumours with 1password and then it now says incorrect username or password. which now shows it does now work. but if I type it manually myself into mac rumours

it works no problem and if I go back to 1password and change the password from black123 back to 3kjghie749ytjr854398jt845u834jg then 1password logs back into macrumours no problems to.

so to create a new secure password I had to go to the new password page on macrumours and change it using the correct password which is black123
    to a generated one using 1password which worked but then you still can not use that password to log into the site you can only use some sort of random password that was saved in 1password which is password 3kjghie749ytjr854398jt845u834jg.

so to remember the tru password I have to save it in the notes box as I could never change the password in the future.

I hope this explains it better it better

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the trouble, @meridius, but this is why we provide documentation like Changing a saved password in the "quick start" section of the user's guide.

As it says there, "Changing your password on a web site involves two steps: you have to tell the web site about the new password, and you have to save the new password in 1Password." I guess you could say that generating the new password is a step that precedes those two, but changing the password involves just two: one you have to do on the site's "change password" page, and one you have to let 1Password do (update the saved Login item) the next time you log in to that site.

Here are the details, taken from the user's guide:

1. Use your existing Login to log in to the web site.
    2. Go to the site’s “change password” form (typically under My Account, Settings, or something similar).
    3. If the “change password” form requires that you enter your current (old) password:
      a. Click on the 1Password button on the browser’s toolbar.
      b. Locate your existing Login item for the site.
      c. Right-click on the Password field’s value to copy the current password to the clipboard.
      d. Click in the “old password” field on the form, and press Ctrl+V.
    4. Click on the 1Password button on the browser’s toolbar again, and choose Generate Password.

5. Use the controls (shown above) to create exactly the kind of password required by the site.
    6. Click the Copy icon next to the strength indicators; then click the OK button.
      1Password should enter the strong password in the “new password” and “confirm password” fields; otherwise, you can paste it in yourself.
    7. Submit the site’s “change password” form.
    8. Accept 1Password’s offer to update the password field in your existing Login for that site.

Please let us know whether these steps work for you.

• meridius
    meridius
    Community Member

hi there thanks for the help but your not understanding me

forget everything

I log into http://forums.macrumors.com/ using

1password askes me to save this as a new login and say yes. then I go to the settings of that site in 1password and has this saved

password: kfgj4586789yi45yuh8reyj45i9hrth54i

so why has it not saved the password as black123 instead its used some random string. which I did not create or I did not use 1password to create

it logs in ok but not using the password

why not join the site and then you might understand what I am saying

thanks

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@meridius Please follow these steps:

1. Open IE
    2. Navigate to http://forums.macrumors.com
    3. Enter your username and password but do NOT click on "Login in"
    4. Click on the 1Password button
    5. Click on: Settings > Save new Login
    6. Click on: Save
  • meridius
    meridius
    Community Member

thanks mate that worked a treat, now it uses my proper password.

could you explain why it did not work in the first place as I have never had that problem with other websites before normally just log in and wait for the 1password poop up to save it and always works until now.

and how did it still log into macrumours with that long strange password string ?

just wanted to know for future reference thanks.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I have no idea how a "random" string might've gotten saved in the Login item. 1Password simply saves what's in the fields at the moment the form is submitted.

The steps outlined by @svondutch‌ (and in the "Saving a Login" article in the user's guide) will create a completely new Login item. That means you'll have two Login items for that URL, so you'll probably want to delete the old one, once you're sure the new one works for you.

Please let us know how it goes!

• meridius
    meridius
    Community Member

yep deleted the old saved password and used the new saved password that @svondutch‌ advised me to do and works

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That’s great news, @meridius—thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.