Switching From iCloud Sync to DropBox

dridge
dridge
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Hello
I run 1Password on a Macbook Air and an iPhone 5S. I enabled iCloud drive in iOS8 not realizing that it would stop iCloud sync, which I understand will come back once Yosemite is available

I used to sync with Dropbox, then switched to iCloud when it became available.

I wish to switch back to Dropbox sync temporarily until iCloud sync is restored.

What do I need to know about this to avoid any problems? Can I simply turn iCloud sync off and Dropbox sync on? Or will there be the possibility of losing data?

thanks

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dridge,

These guides have instructions for making the switch from iCloud to Dropbox syncing:

Mac: Switching to Dropbox

iOS: Switching to Dropbox

I suggest reading them over before switching so you're familiar with the process, which won't lose data. If you have any questions or issues, before and after, we're here to help. :)

• dridge
    dridge
    Community Member

Hi there. thanks very much. I have one other question. I have synced in the past with Dropbox and more recently with iCloud. Does one service have an advantage over the other? They both seem to work just fine to me but here's how I assessed the advantage...please correct me if I'm wrong. With Dropbox it looks to me like you have an added advantage of being able to get to your 1Password file on Dropbox from any computer or device where as with iCloud sync you do not have that option and must access 1Password with either an apple mobile device or Apple computer. Is that correct? What are the advantages of using iCloud?

thanks for your help

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @dridge.

I have one other question.

Which one of the three that you asked would you like me to answer? :)

But seriously …

Does one service have an advantage over the other?

The overview for syncing your 1Password data mentions a couple. Here are a few other points:

• iCloud syncing is sometimes preferred because it's available on Apple devices without needing to install additional programs or sign up for non-Apple accounts.
    • iCloud syncing currently only supports the primary vault.
    • Dropbox syncing is backwards compatible with earlier versions of 1Password.
    • Dropbox can be used for vault sharing, e.g. with Windows and Android.
    • 1PasswordAnywhere can be used to access 1Password data through Dropbox.

The last two relate to this:

With Dropbox it looks to me like you have an added advantage of being able to get to your 1Password file on Dropbox from any computer or device where as with iCloud sync you do not have that option and must access 1Password with either an apple mobile device or Apple computer. Is that correct?

Quite correct!

What are the advantages of using iCloud?

See above. Plus iCloud sync support using CloudKit with iOS 8 and Yosemite (soon) using 1Password 5 can be an advantage. There's more information about that here:

iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ

I hope this helps. Keep your question(s) coming! :)

This discussion has been closed.