Extending 1Password (IFTTT and others)

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

Apple has restricted the apps' ability to communicate with other apps, at least with iOS7. There are apps like IFTTT which seem to work around it by being able to join apps together. Does any of the Agilebits team use IFTTT to comment on its usability in conjunction with 1Password? I am overwhemed by its extensive customization abilities.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited September 2014

Hi @wkleem,

I'm curious what kind of IFTTT integration you have in mind? Since 1Password deals with sensitive data, we don't normally allow much direct integration with other apps.

It's worth mentioning we do have an App Extension in iOS 8, but I'm not sure that's quite what you were thinking of.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Hi JasperP

I haven't explored IFTTT much. I use Evernote and Dropbox as well. There is a blog explaining how to get IFTTT, 1P, Evernote and Dropbox to work together. Hope this makes sense. I agree about the sensitivity of the 1Password AgileKeychain so I thought I would pass things your way. I have only installed 1Password 5 on my iPhone 5s as a test unit.

ianmartinadams.co.uk/blog/projectbackupv1

Here's a plug for 1Password :-)

"Just me but it's the only service I won't open on other peoples devices as it's easy for someone to have a key logger. But it's a good program for keeping these 100s of password, confidential documents and genral notes that you want to keep under wraps. "

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem,

Thanks so much for sharing that blog post. There's certainly some interesting information in there. (The organizational fiend in me is now excited to re-organize all my Evernote notebooks!) In terms of 1Password though, the author of the blog post seems largely content to sync his database to Dropbox. (I'll admit, I just briefly skimmed the article and did not take the time to watch all the videos.)

If you could provide a bit more information about how you see IFTTT and 1Password working together, we might be able to discuss this in a bit more detail, but as it stands now, I'm still not quite sure what you're hoping to see here.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Some app logins absolutely refuse to work with 1Password. I've previously commented on the Endomondo app being unable to copy and paste info from elsewhere. That's still true. I was hoping to make things work a bit more seamlessly.

I haven't looked at iOS 8 in depth as it is still new is still prone to issues.

There is a bug which could cause data loss by doing a Reset All Settings in iOS 8. Hopefully, 1Password is unaffected by this.

macrumors.com/2014/09/29/reset-all-settings-icloud-drive-bug/

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/136631#Comment_136631

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem,

Thanks for providing a bit more context here! As was mentioned by Khad in the thread that you linked to, the blocking of the paste function is something that would need to be dealt with by Endomondo. I'm not sure that integrating something like IFTTT could work around this. I believe that Endomondo's settings in the fields would still be respected.

Hi @Tangible,

That's a great question. I think it really comes down to personal preference, but I'd be interested to hear how some of our other users in the forum keep their data organized!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I would like to request Agilebits consolitate Apps that love1Password (Date April 2013) and iOS 8 1Password App extension (Sep 2014) so that it can be easily located or browsed.

At the moment, I don't know how many apps out there are 1Password friendly.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem,

It just so happens that our social media team is working on an update to our blog that will make Apps that Love 1Password even easier to find! I agree - it's great to know at a glance which apps are 1Password-friendly. Stay tuned to our blog for more details! :)

• Thanks for the suggestion, @wkleem‌, I'll talk to our media team and see what we can do here.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

I've been watching this thread. It made me download IFTTT to look at. Before I can do anything, I'm required to sign up for an account. Does this mean that the function is effected through the cloud? I'm not planning to enter my master password anywhere it might be captured by another service in unencrypted form. Is that a concern with IFTTT?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@hawkmoth, I'm not sure. I am very new to IFTTT having downloaded the app but haven't opened the account yet. Another issue that I've just read is that an in app browser may have vulnerabilities that could lead to the login details being captured.

9to5mac.com/2014/09/24/app-developer-warns-not-to-enter-personal-info-using-in-app-browsers-due-to-security-issue/

Watch the video.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem,

I see that @bwoodruff‌ has already replied to your question about the in-app browsers in the other thread you posted.

This discussion has been closed.