How to use IP ranges from excluded domain list?

Options
eblot
eblot
Community Member

When developing/administrating machine, several machines depending on the current network configuration may use the same IP - but not the same credentials.

It would be nice to tell 1Passwd4 to keep quiet when a specific IP address, or an IP address within a specific range is used. The default behaviour is to prompt for saving the password for "192" for example. This is quite useless, and boring.

Thanks.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eblot,

Have you tried adding full IP addresses in the (except on the following domains) list in the Preferences > Browser tab of the main 1Password application to exclude from auto-save?

Or clicking the gear in the 1Password Save Login window and selecting Never Autosave for this site to add them?

I do know the (except on the following domains) auto-save exclusion list matches specific domains; URL paths and subdomain "wildcarding" are currently unsupported. I'm unsure about full IP addresses in it, and any wildcarding/ranges of them is unlikely. I can find out and let you know.

In any case, I've added your request for this to our request tracker. Thanks for asking about it!

ref: OPM-882

• brendanc
    brendanc
    Community Member
    Options

Wildcarding needs to be a priority IMO. Having the 1Password dialog open for every dev site login (just as an example) is quite annoying, as there is no reason to save a password on a temporary dev site. Or, at the very least (I think this is the wrong approach, personally), add a button that says "Ignore this site from now on" and add that to the exclusion list.

I and many others use the .dev/loc/local domain extension to designate local development sites... but allowing us wildcards in the exception list would solve this problem entirely. Allowing IP range exclusions in the format of 1.2.3.0/24 format would be nice too.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @brendanc, I've added your vote to the issue.

• rufusisnodufus
    rufusisnodufus
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add my vote to wildcard support in excluded domains. As a dev who is constantly standing up new instances to test, this is a big pain in the butt.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for your comments, @rufusisnodufus‌!

• dimitar.apostolov
    dimitar.apostolov
    Community Member
    Options

One more vote for wild card support. Are there any news on this feature?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dimitar.apostolov,

Yes, and the news is good! Wildcard support for ignored URLs in autosave was added to a recent beta version of 1Password 5 for Mac (5.3.BETA-1), so unless something goes very wrong with that feature, I imagine it should be included in our next stable release (although I don't have a timeframe for when that will be available).

• Emily S.
    Emily S.
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add another vote for subnet wildcard limitation. Perhaps it is already there but I haven't found the correct formula for doing so?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Emily S.,

Thanks for checking in about this! Indeed, this feature was added several months ago, so as long as you're using the latest update for 1Password 5, it should work for you. In the main app, go to 1Password > Preferences > Browser, and in the field at the bottom of those options, you can enter something like this: *.domain.com

This should also work in IP addresses as well.

Does that help? Let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks!

• bragi0
    bragi0
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

While the * wildcard matching seems to possibly be working for me now 172.16.12.*, 172.16.13.*, it would be much better for us network types if we could have CIDR matching 172.16.12.0/23. It's especially useful when you need to carve out small spaces from much larger subnets 172.16.12.192/29.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bragi0: Thanks for the suggestion! That may be something we can add in a future version. :)

• AdamEvertsson
    AdamEvertsson
    Community Member
    Options

Coming in late with my input. Using 1Password 6 for Mac, and I simply can't get this to work. I'm using MAMP and all my development sites end with .loc, so naturally I'm trying to get *.loc added to the browser list. It doesn't work, and neither does 127.0.0.1 or localhost.
    Anyone else having this problem - or has got it to work?

• rudy
    Options

Hi @AdamEvertsson,

Thanks for your feedback!

I looked at the source that's processing the domain for exclusion and it looks like 127.0.0.1 and localhost definitely wouldn't work there, as its matching the the strings themselves and not doing a DNS lookup.

As for why *.loc fails, there are a couple things we could try to see if it parses it better...

http://.loc
    http://
    .loc/
    *.loc/

as well as https versions of those if your sites are on https

There is definitely room for improvement in this code's matching of hosts/wildcards.

Do you have a tutorial or quick & easy way to replicate your .loc domain configuration that i'd be able to quickly setup to run through the code for improving this case?

Rudy

• AdamEvertsson
    AdamEvertsson
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I didn't get it to work, but after a reboot of my Mac (What? Oh my god, a reboot!?) it started to work.
    *.loc was the wildcard and pattern I used, for future reference.

// Adam

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Rudy, you're most welcome! Thanks for letting us know a reboot took care of the problem and that it's working now. If you need anything else, please let us know - we're always glad to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.