Could not find 1Password information on iCloud

leonroy
leonroy
Community Member

Purchased 1Password today from the App Store.
Setup 1st Mac with iCloud sync and imported all my Lastpass data.
Setup 2nd Mac with 1Password and selected 'Already have an account' and then iCloud - see the error as per subject

Any ideas?

Comments

• At the moment iCloud syncing won't work for you I'm afraid to say. 1Password 5 iOS requires iOS 8 and it uses the newer iCloud Drive API. Sadly that means until Apple release Yosemite which will no doubt be quickly followed by 1Password 5 OS X, you're limited to syncing via Dropbox or WiFi.

Syncing between iOS devices using iCloud Drive is possible, just not between iOS and OS X for the moment.

• leonroy
    leonroy
    Community Member

I have 1Password 4 on two Macs. Shouldn't they be able to sync with each other via iCloud?

• leonroy
    leonroy
    Community Member

What a waste of a couple of hours. After uninstalling/reinstalling etc. could not get two Macs to sync via iCloud despite brand new installs. Only Dropbox sync seems to work.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

@littlebobbytables‌

Correction, 1Password 5 doesn't use iCloud Drive but instead CloudKit. While being part of the iCloud umbrella, CloudKit is something different than iCloud Drive.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/cloudkit-faq

@leonroy‌

I have 1Password 4 on two Macs. Shouldn't they be able to sync with each other via iCloud?

Yes, you should be able to use iCloud syncing on your Mac running Mavericks but only if you have not upgraded your account to iCloud Drive. You haven't mentioned if you're using a iOS device, but as part of the update process to iOS 8 your device will ask you to upgrade from the "older" iCloud to this new iCloud Drive. If you did this, iCloud Documents and Data will stop working on your Mac, if you're using the same iCloud account.

If you have not upgraded to iCloud Drive and it still isn't working, make sure you have iCloud Documents and Data enabled for 1Password in System Preferences > iCloud > Document and Data.

• leonroy
    leonroy
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

@Xe997‌

I did not have the iOS app installed when setting up the two Mac clients (have it now working via Dropbox sync though).

One Mac showed 1Password mini in iCloud > Documents and Data the other Mac did not...is Apple's CloudKit flaky or is this a 1Password issue?

Don't really need iOS support so I'd rather not use Dropbox if I can avoid it...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

One Mac showed 1Password mini in iCloud > Documents and Data the other Mac did not...is Apple's CloudKit flaky or is this a 1Password issue?

When you say that it didn't show on the other Mac, do you mean it didn't show at all, or did it show but unchecked? If it did show unchecked did you check it and what happened?

Also, are you using the same iCloud account on both Macs? What versions of OS X and 1Password?

• @leonroy‌ Apologies, I was bouncing backwards and forwards between the OSX and iOS forums and my post would make a lot more sense if you'd actually been referring to 1Password 5 iOS... but you weren't. If you haven't upgraded from iCloud to iCloud Drive (requires a iOS device running iOS 8) then you're correct, iCloud should work.

One 'quirk' of the older iCloud is developers have no control over the timings of the sync. What I've learned from the helpful staff here is when an application syncs with iCloud it's actually syncing to a local storage first and then the rest is up to the OS to sync that repository back to Apple's servers. What it means to us users is that there can be an unknown delay in syncing from one device and the files being visible in iCloud on another device.

If you want to use iCloud I'd suggest setting up the sync once more on the first machine and then leaving it for a while before trying to establish the sync on the other machine.

@Xe997‌ You're right, I didn't use the correct terminology.

• leonroy
    leonroy
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables‌ thanks will try syncing via iCloud again on a faster Internet Connection.

• @leonroy‌ it isn't a matter of your broadband either in terms of latency or speed - it's how Apple designed the original iCloud. It's partly why they seem to have come up with the new but very incompatible version. Instead of AgileBits initiating a sync and then having to patiently wait for the iCloud service/daemon to then do its job, with the new iCloud they can initiate a sync and know with a much better degree of confidence that the files have been pushed to the user's iCloud account.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

You're right, I didn't use the correct terminology.

Well, I don't know if I'm 100 % sure either. CloudKit is not something used in consumer faced marketing, so 1Password's use of it will probably be marketed as iCloud Drive, even though it's different than the Dropbox style "drop every file in this folder" service known as iCloud Drive.

Either way, as pointed out here, old style iCloud has some serious problems. I'm just using Dropbox until the new iCloud is used on both Apple platforms and by third parties.

• @Xe997‌ Nah, I think you're right. When I've been referring to the iCloud Drive API, I've really been meaning the CloudKit framework which relies on iCloud Drive which is probably how we're going to end up referring to the whole system as that's how Apple seem to be marketing it to us. Saying that, I'm probably not going to feel too bad if I incorrectly call it the iCloud Drive API every so often :P

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Xe997‌ and @littlebobbytables‌

Don't worry ... I work here ... and I'm not always sure what's going on with all these cloudy names! Apple certainly hasn't made our lives easier here.

Here's how I understand it:

• We've built 1Password's iCloud sync using Apple's new CloudKit technology.
    • The 'new' iCloud sync in 1Password requires that iCloud Drive be enabled on iOS devices, but does not directly use iCloud Drive

In any case, thanks so much for your help here!

@leonroy,

I'm sorry to hear that iCloud sync is misbehaving for you here. If you're still having trouble there are a few very basic things that we need to check before we get into the more detailed troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices. (If you're like me and have somehow collected several, this could be where things are getting tangled!)
    • Please ensure that 'Documents and Data' is enabled for iCloud on all computers.
  • leonroy
    leonroy
    Community Member

Thanks @Megan‌ tried all of that. Still no dice.

From the above discussion it sounds like the old (current) iCloud is inferior to Dropbox sync so I'll go with the latter for the time being. Ideally though for the paranoid amongst us SpiderOak Sync would be the preferred choice :)

• MikeT
    edited November 2014

Hi @leonroy,

SpiderOak is awesome and it is a bit more secure than others for a specific reason, it is closed down tighter and sharing or syncing is separated from the actual encrypted data.

[Updated as of November 7, 2014]It looks like SpiderOak does include a way to pull from the storage side of your SpiderOak account rather than the public share folders. It unfortunately does mean the data becomes available on SpiderOak servers, therefore violating the principle of the zero-knowledge setup. Hopefully, we'll be able to use their API to sync in our mobile apps in the future.

I'd suggest trying iCloud again later on when Yosemite and iOS 8 are updated with improvements to iCloud and CloudKit if you don't need it right now and Dropbox works great.

• leonroy
    leonroy
    Community Member

@MikeT‌ thanks, good advice!

• You're welcome!

• spotted_dog
    spotted_dog
    Community Member

So one of my Macs is running Yosemite GM 3.0 and has 1Password 4 (4.4.2 - 442010) and System Preference > iCloud > iCloud Drive > 1Password mini set. Does this mean that my other Mac running Mavericks 10.9.5 and 1Password 4 (4.4.2) newly installed will not be able to use iCloud (even though System Preference > iCloud > Documents & Data > 1Password mini setup too) will not be able to user iCloud until I upgrade the Mavericks to Yosemite?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spotted_dog‌

I apologize for the confusion here. Because of the changes that Apple has made to iCloud, 1Password 4 for Mac can only sync using iCloud on Mavericks. This is because it is using the 'old' iCloud that was designed for Mavericks. So even if you have the 'new' iCloud enabled on your Yosemite computer, 1Password 4 for Mac doesn't know how to work with that version of iCloud.

We recommend switching to Dropbox until OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) is released and we are able to release our Yosemite-compatible update to 1Password.

• spotted_dog
    spotted_dog
    Community Member

How do I migrate (move my data then from the "new" iCloud to Dropbox? I don't see a data file on the iCloud side from the Mac that is still working with 1Password for Mac 4.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spotted_dog,

We've got an article in our User Guide that will help you switch from iCloud to Dropbox. Please check it out:

switch to Dropbox sync

If you have any further questions or concerns, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.