iOS 8 Dropbox sync not working [See fix steps in post #14]

Options
Bruno
edited October 2014 in iOS

I've been using DB sync for a long time. I updated to iOS 8 and noticed that I was no longer syncing. I went into the iOS 8 1password, clicked on Dropbox sync but when I click on the existing vault under "Choose a vault" I get this: "This vault already exists on your iPhone." Any tips on what's the matter? It's still not syncing. Thanks!

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Bruno‌

Are all of your latest entries stored on Dropbox, or do you have changes that you've made on iOS that are not yet on Dropbox?

• sombb
    sombb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi bwoodruff,

Same symptoms as Bruno here. To reply to your question: No, latest changes not stored on Mac. Yes, changes made on iOS 8.0.2 iPhone 6 do NOT sync to Mac OS 10.9.5, Dropbox 2.10.30.

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password set up with Dropbox syncing on an iPhone, iPad, and three different Macs. I find that on my iOS devices, I periodically get an error that says "1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file. Please update sync preferences to start syncing again. 1Password encountered a problem."

I go through the steps to set up dropbox syncing again, and it seems to work for a while, but eventually the error comes back again. Help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sombb,

We've just released a great update for 1Password for iOS - version 5.1. Please ensure that you're up-to-date with the latest version, which includes some improvements to Dropbox sync. Does this update make any difference?

If you're still seeing trouble, please let me know if you have multiple vaults in Dropbox.

• PeteTh
    PeteTh
    Community Member
    Options

Yes same here I've had to re-setup the Dropbox sync about 5 times in the last week. Most annoying.

• coder-kim
    coder-kim
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue

• Hi guys,

Please try again with today's 1Password 5.1 for iOS update, it should be much better in that version.

• whatsoccurring
    whatsoccurring
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue, using 5.1. Using an iPhone 6 with 8.0.2, trying to load 1password for the first time on this device. Have exactly the same problem as Bruno. Long-time Dropbox sync user on my iPhone 5. I do not have multiple vaults.

• whatsoccurring
    whatsoccurring
    Community Member
    Options

I have not wiped my old iPhone 5 (and I would prefer not to, it's a useful secondary device). I guess that could be why it thinks it's already on the iPhone?

• Stentdoctor
    Stentdoctor
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. I have followed all your directions in prior posts regarding disabling sync to drop box on both the iOS device and the mac. Then restarting the sync process again. I am running 5.1 on my iOS device. One recently added item from the Mac never shows up on the iOS device. I know the item is there since I opened the 1password file in dropbox by double clicking on it. The entry can be seen from my Mac - not the iOS device even though the proper number of entries are present on both systems.

Any suggestions?

• kleinias
    kleinias
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same issue. Started with the 5.0 update and it is continuing after the 5.1 update. I have an iPhone 5S on iOS 8 (I'm on the latest version of iOS).

I've tried emailing 1password support but have heard nothing back (I realize it's a busy time), so now I'm trying the forum. This issue happens pretty much every day or so and its a frustrating one.

• Keson
    Keson
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Same situation here. iP 5S, latest 8.0.2 and 1P 5.1. I use 1P for ages so it is still being upgraded. As above written, the syncing does not work. I do not ever edit stuff on iPhone, only on Mac and I have made several updates on Mac, which are immediately synced to Dropbox. And as also written above, unable to remove the vault as I got information, that the Dropbox vault is already on my phone. Basically I have no idea how to solve it. Restoring iPhone is not a option (not enough space on mac for a full backup). I guess one major feature is missing here - remove the vault.

And to answer @Megan - no, only one vault in DropBox...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi folks,

I've merged a couple of similar threads here, so we can all get on the same page.

First off if your data is not updated on your Mac or Windows PC, please try syncing with WiFi to get the latest changes transferred over:

Once you have a copy of your latest data on your computer you can set Dropbox syncing back up there, then please uninstall the iOS app from your device, as well as the Dropbox app. Reinstall those apps from the App Store on your device (do not sync them over from iTunes).

Launch the Dropbox app and make sure you are able to login there.

Launch 1Password and walk through the initial setup process to setup Dropbox syncing.

Please let me know how this turns out.

Thanks.

Ben

• Stentdoctor
    Stentdoctor
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,
    I followed your directions and it appears to have worked. I will keep you posted... Thanks for your help.

Don

• HansE
    HansE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Just to let you know that I had the same issue since 5.1. Before reading Ben's suggestion, I reinstalled 1Password and connected it to my Dropbox vault, and now syncing works again. (So the difference from Ben's suggestion is that I never had to reinstall the Dropbox app).

Hans

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the updates Don ( @Stentdoctor‌ ) and Hans ( @HansE‌ ). Glad to hear you're up and running again.

• korudirect
    korudirect
    Community Member
    Options

I have a 6+ and cannot get it to sync over dropbox. It asks for the dropbox password and then tells me it's incorrect. I cannot log in to sync (and yes, I am using the correct dropbox login info) Please help

• saman
    saman
    Community Member
    Options

I have a problem in getting my new iPhone to use an existing vault on dropbox.

Here is what I do
    1) Open 1Password
    2) Sync existing vault
    3) Select Sync with Dropbox
    4) In dropbox press Allow
    5) back in one 1password, it says "choose a vault..." and give a list of (of 1) the 1Password.agilekeychain
    6) When I choose that I get a dialog box "Valut Exists, THis vault already exists on your iPhone" and only option is to press "Got It"
    Then it goes back to the "choose a vault..."

How can I get 1Passport in the iPhone to use my existing vault on dropbox?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @korudirect‌

Please try installing the Dropbox app before setting up syncing within 1Password.

@saman‌

Do you have any data in 1Password on your iPhone? If not please try uninstalling and reinstalling it and try setting up sync again.

• saman
    saman
    Community Member
    Options

uninstall and reinstall of 1Password worked! Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @saman,

I'm glad to hear reinstalling worked! Thanks for letting us know. :)

• TomTom_CH
    TomTom_CH
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately it doesn't work here. I'm using iOS 8.0.2 and removed 1Password AND Dropbox, restarted the devices which are affected (1 iPhone 5s, 1 iPhone 5c and 1 iPad Air). Then I reinstalled first Dropbox and was able to access all my folders and files. Then I reinstalled 1Password from App-Store. Then first of all I synched all entries by WLAN, which worked perfect. Then I tried to change the sync method to Dropbox. On iPad Air I got the option to choose the 1Password-File there, but the others shown a message "1password the operation couldn't be completed. (SKErrorDomain error 4.)". Finally I was not able to sync with Dropbox on one iOS devices (but on OS-X Maverick it works perfect).
    Any ideas what I can do now?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @TomTom_CH‌

Please create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member
    Options

We have the same issue. 4 family members using PC/Mac and multiple iOS devices. DropBox sync working great for years. After upgrade to iOS 8 / 1Password 5.x sync becomes disabled on all iOS devices (no warning or other indication of problems!). Re-enabling it complains of vault mismatch. If one goes ahead and 'merges' anyway then the data is inconsistent between PC/Mac and iOS devices and sync still does not work. This is a very serious issue and we need a reliable solution to recover (without any data loss) ASAP.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ChrisJenkins‌

I apologize for the inconvenience here. I would recommend WiFi syncing the iOS devices to the appropriate computer so that you have the same data in both places, then uninstall the iOS app (removing the data from it), reinstall it, and then re-setup Dropbox sync.

Mac: http://guides.agilebits.com/1password-4-for-mac/4/en/topic/sync-guide
    Windows: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/sync-options

Thanks!

Ben

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

Just had the same issue - deleting and reinstalling 1P on my iPhone seems to have fixed it.

But, like others, I've also been getting a lot of alerts and problems on my iPhone and iPad syncing via Dropbox.

What is your recommended cloud sync platform? Should I just move over to iCloud? I only use this on Mac devices, and the only reason I use Dropbox is that you didn't support iCloud when I starting using your (excellent!) product. I'm happy to move over to iCloud if you think I'll have a better experience that way.

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

We don't recommend one solution over another unless, for example, you're using Windows or Android, in which case iCloud obviously isn't an option. I personally use Dropbox, without difficulty.

Glad to hear that reinstalling has resolved the issue for you.

• steuben
    steuben
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the same problem with selecting a vault in Dropbox: I'm using an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1 beta 2 and 1Password 5.1. I solved it by going to 1Password -> Settings -> Advanced and selecting "Erase Data and Settings." Once that was done, I launched 1Password again and selected the Dropbox vault, which this time appeared in light blue (as opposed to light grey) and was selectable.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steuben,

Thanks for letting us know that you're all sorted out! We appreciate you including your fix steps here.

• hamav8tor
    hamav8tor
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

There are possibly multiple issues going on with Dropbox syncing. I believe I started noticing these issues with iOS 8. I now have an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2 and 1Password for iOS 5.1. The issues I have been experiencing have actually gotten worse. I should also mention that I have also experienced the issue where you have to set up Dropbox syncing all over again because the app lost the settings.

Dropbox is working fine on the iPhone with no issues. My issue is that after a day or two (or a few minutes) 1Password randomly stops syncing with Dropbox. Sometimes it gets errors - sometimes that it can't download the already identified Dropbox file, and sometimes it just crashes (CTD). I have deleted 1Password from the iPhone and installed from scratch - still occasionally having an issue - and crash reports have been sent. Hopefully those will be illuminating.

It is stable for me right now (last hour or so), but I don't expect it to last, based on recent experiences. And outright crashes are not inspiring. Hopefully this issue can get debugged correctly and solved.

This discussion has been closed.