Chrome Extension on Linux

I'm using 1password on Mac, iPhone and Linux via Dropbox Sync/1PasswordAnywhere.

It would be really cool if I could use the Chrome Extension on Linux too. Is this already supported?
Shouldn't be too hard to support since Chrome Extensions are platform independent, right?

Thanks

Florian

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:

Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Florian!

We will see what we can do. Stefan ported it to Windows pretty quickly, but it currently requires a tie in to the native (Mac/Windows) application for which there is currently not one in Linux. We never say "never," though. Thanks for letting us know it would be useful to you. We really appreciate the feedback!
  • khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Florian!

We will see what we can do. Stephen ported it to Windows pretty quickly, but it currently requires a tie in to the native (Mac/Windows) application for which there is currently not one in Linux. We never say "never," though. Thanks for letting us know it would be useful to you. We really appreciate the feedback!

+1 for linux support. It's one of the apps that's making me stay on osx.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for letting us know a Linux version would be useful to you as well. We really appreciate the feedback.
  • Zero2Cool
    Zero2Cool
    Community Member
    edited February 2011
    I'm using 1Password for Windows on several PCs. The Chrome Extension is very cool. On my both Notebooks i have Win7 and Ubuntu.
    At work i'll change the OS from Windows to Ubuntu, maybe my others PCs too. Although i have two Windows family licence, i would buy a Ubuntu/Debian Version again. Please release a Ubuntu/Debian (Beta) Version :-)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for your strong desire to use 1Password with Linux, Zero2Cool. We are flattered. :-)

These are our current offerings for Linux:

1PasswordAnywhere will display all your 1Password information, but you will not be able to make changes to it from Linux. It is a standards-based web application that can either reside in your Dropbox folder for automatic updates or be manually copied to another computer, flash drive, or file server:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

1Password for Windows seems to be working well in Wine, but it is not officially supported in that configuration. You can use it to sync via Dropbox for a solution that will allow you to not only read your data in Linux but make changes as well.

http://agile.ws/onepassword/win

The only shortcoming would be the lack of browser extensions in Linux, but there may one day be some cross-platform extensions. We have nothing to announce in that regard at the moment, but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

Cheers,
  • pkkid
    pkkid
    Community Member
    I would also like to make it aware that 1Password Chrome extension is desired for Linux. I'm no developer, but perhaps some option in the current extensions to read from Dropbox rather than an installed version of 1Password would be an interesting approach.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Wouldn't that be something? ;-)
  • Zero2Cool
    Zero2Cool
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

1Password for Windows seems to be working well in Wine, but it is not officially supported in that configuration. You can use it to sync via Dropbox for a solution that will allow you to not only read your data in Linux but make changes as well.

But without Browser-Integration it's not working fine, it's terrible :-/

I think an Ubuntu/Debian Version will bring you many new Customers.
    I'll need a cross-platform Solution, like "Lastpass".
  • Zero2Cool
    Zero2Cool
    Community Member
    Thanks for your answer!
    I didn't need a full featured 1Password interface, a browser extension would be quite sufficient.
    Later a full 1Password interface will be nice, but i think the browser is more important and it can presuppose an installing Dropbox.
  • MikeT
    edited February 2011
    Zero2Cool,
    I’d agree, it would be nice to have a standalone extension for the web browsers now on the LInux platform, to use along with the data file stored in the Dropbox folder and then wait for the 1Password application to come later.

As Stu mentioned, we do not have the resources available at the moment to work on this. The way the extensions work with your data file are different for each platform. This is the same reason that we tell our Chrome users not to use the built-in Chrome Sync to sync the 1Password extension to both Windows and Mac, it will not work and it will not work on linux either.

I’m sorry that we do not have any more information on this to share with the community.
  • Harry Warrior
    Harry Warrior
    Community Member
    Whatever method you use, please make sure you build something that *does not* force internet access.
    Storing everything in the "cloud" is exactly what I hated about your competitor Lastpass. Please don't go that route.
    I heard someone mention Lastpass in an earlier post.

Lasspass did encrypt everything locally, but the very fact that I had to trust dynamically downloaded 'JS' from their
    site meant all users are susceptible to any attack/breach to their site at any point in the future (not just
    when you download updates). I am not sure if you understand what I am trying to point out.

stu wrote:

or a browser extension you can use in, for example Chrome, that wouldn't require a fully 1Password application?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback, Harry. We'll keep in that in mind as we continue to evaluate Linux possibilities. :-)
  • frank hofmann
    frank hofmann
    Community Member
    guys, here's another vote for chrome/linux:

Lack of linux support has prevented me from buying 1Password in the first place. If you could bring 1Password to Chrome I'd be finally able to make the switch.

cheers
    Frank
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the vote for Linux support, Frank! I think it is likely obvious from the rest of the context, but we do support Google Chrome on Mac and Windows. Just for the record. :-)
  • A Linux version would be fabulous. +1
  • I'll throw in my +1 for Linux support, bonus if it works with Firefox, too.

While the full experience would be excellent, toolbar/extension-only access would be an acceptable starting point (even though it would all but require Dropbox + win/mac/iPhone/droid for maintenance).

... I often forget I have 1Password installed because it just works ...

I, too, almost forget that it's installed; password creation, filling, and updating can all be handled well enough from the extension.

I know, plans aren't currently in the works; just throwing in my support.
  • Hi 1Password Team and Community,

as others above, I would love to see a Linux compatible Chrome and/or Firefox extension for 1Password, too. In my opinion the need of a full blown 1Password client for the Linux platform is not as important as the browser support.

On iPhone and iPad I use 1Password just for lookups, on Windows surfing is just so much more fun with 1Password and at work I use a Chrome browser on an openSuse installation, which is kind of a copy-and-paste experience with my synced 1Password anywhere keychain.

So Linux browser extensions in the far (or near ?) future +1.

Best regards,

Sascha
  • Yet another +1
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Mike! Thanks for the vote. :-D

It would be pretty cool to have some standalone extensions that do not read data from the Mac and Windows applications. It will require quite a bit of recoding, but we never say "never."
  • AndrewBaldwin
    AndrewBaldwin
    Community Member
    Just want to throw my support in for Linux (Ubuntu/Debian in particular) browser extensions. A full fledged application would be nice too, but the browser extensions are key (in my case a Firefox extension would be even nicer than a Chrome one, but either would do).

And thanks for 1PasswordAnywhere, it is a good stop-gap measure.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Andrew, and thanks for voicing your support for some Linux lovin'. :-)

We're rejiggerin' some things which may make this easier in the future. I can't promise anything at the moment, but we are definitely moving closer to this rather than away from it.
  • darren13
    darren13
    Community Member
    +1 for linux support.

Well - just the browser functionality would be the best start.

Occasionally I need to go into 1password to iron out the odd username / url problem - but that's rare.

Browser functionality based on Dropbox would be the best push forward.

Users could still edit details in 1passwordAnywhere I presume?

And this would be the quickest way also for Agile to tap into another market and generate some $'s for their work with less development time than the full application.

Offer it at half price in 'beta' (as you did for Windows users), with just browser functionality and 1passwordAnywhere to edit saved passwords.

You're on to a winner.

Darren.
  • darren13
    darren13
    Community Member
    Hi Stu -

Thanks for coming back.

Disappointing on the one hand because I want it yesterday ;-)

But that's really the kind of attitude that probably contributes a lot to why 1password is such a great product to use.

Making it right, rather than rushing to market.

Love the principle, love the product.

good work guys.

Darren.

stu wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Darren, we're certainly looking into all our options.

Just to clarify, 1PasswordAnywhere is a read-only tool, it can't be used to edit your information, so without developing a whole Linux app, or users using our Windows app in Wine maybe, the browser extension would be read-only.

As many of our users will know, we're not really into 'quick' solutions, and while some may say that this is an issue, we believe that it's the right attitude because we want everything we release to be the best it can be, which is why there's frequent updates for 1Password and why our Beta versions are, in most cases, publicly available.

If and when we have something to announce, we'll be sure to post here and on our blog at http://blog.agile.ws so everyone can share the news.

Thanks again for everyone's votes and feedback.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the kinds words, Darren! We try our best to make 1Password a product we can be proud of. I am really glad you appreciate it. It's only getting better. ;-)

Cheers,
  • berto
    berto
    Community Member
    A linux client would be huge! I'm currently going bonkers on my new dev box because all my passwords are trapped in 1password. I am using 1password anywhere, but lack of browser integration is about to make me short circuit.

Thanks!
  • MikeT
    edited August 2011
    berto wrote:

A linux client would be huge! I'm currently going bonkers on my new dev box because all my passwords are trapped in 1password. I am using 1password anywhere, but lack of browser integration is about to make me short circuit.

Thanks!
    Hi Berto, welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your vote on this feature request, I know how you feel. We do want the total world domination and offer 1Password everywhere, so that our customers don’t short-circuit. biggrin.gif
  • jay_gunn
    jay_gunn
    Community Member
    edited June 2012
    Resurrecting this to give my +1

At least as far as Chrome goes there's the NPAPI for accessing native resources/file system, etc. Works cross platform, one of my extensions uses it, and it works fine in OS X, Ubuntu, and Win7, no muss no fuss.

I don't know what the solution would be for Firefox or other browsers on Linux (assuming you wanted to bother with any other than Chrome/Chromium and Firefox, of course).

You could, in theory, even build 1Password as a "stand alone" program this way, and it would instantly be cross platform. You wouldn't have to worry about Mac/Windows/Linux versions, thus freeing up development resources to making 1P even better than it already is. Set it up as a Chrome Application Shortcut (think Fluid on Mac/Safari, or Prism for Firefox) and it would run independently of whether the particular user even had Chrome installed on their computer. You could sell it on the Chrome Web Store, but of course you don't have to if you'd rather keep licensing/sales in-house. You'd still continue with browser extensions for accessing the database independent of the 1P app of course, just like it works now, this would just allow you to focus development of the 1P app, and it work across all platforms that Chrome runs on.

I could be mistaken on how involved/complex development can get with NPAPI, but at the very least a Chrome extension using it should be viable cross platform, so that we could at least access our database in a browser on Linux. I'd be ok with the stand alone Windows app through WINE (in fact, that's how I'm doing it already), but the browser integration is key.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    A lot of great ideas! Our developers are heading to WWDC soon and are working on some other projects, so I don't want to get your hopes up. However, if Linux support is the pinnacle of this thread, we may never reach the upper limit but the slope is trending upwards.

Chrome has recently made some changes that will affect all extensions and may end up being a good thing for you and other Linux users. Time will tell. Again, I don't want to get your hopes up, but there are some pieces that just shifted (possibly in your favor). :)
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    +1 Linux will grow nicely in the upcoming years I believe (although market share currently looks rather disaapointing.
  • jay_gunn
    jay_gunn
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

A lot of great ideas! Our developers are heading to WWDC soon and are working on some other projects, so I don't want to get your hopes up. However, if Linux support is the pinnacle of this thread, we may never reach the upper limit but the slope is trending upwards.

Chrome has recently made some changes that will affect all extensions and may end up being a good thing for you and other Linux users. Time will tell. Again, I don't want to get your hopes up, but there are some pieces that just shifted (possibly in your favor). :)

Cautiously excited about this!

Like I said before, it's working beautifully with WINE:
    lSdktl.png

Having to copy/paste manually can get annoying, but it's better than nothing, that's for sure. And I know I could do 1PasswordAnywhere, but that doesn't give me the ability to add/edit or generate passwords, so it's not nearly as useful. Only really useful for getting to your passwords from another computer (assuming you're synced with Dropbox... and of course haven't randomly generated your Dropbox password so you can still log in from another computer. Thank the gods for 1Password for my iPhone, I'd be screwed otherwise :) )
This discussion has been closed.