Chrome Extension on Linux

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for the feedback! I don't use it regularly, but my experience with 1Password for Windows running under WINE has been nothing but smooth sailing (lack of browser extensions notwithstanding).

There are some technical and financial challenges to supporting Linux, but it is possible that standalone browser extensions may run in browsers on Linux one day. That said, we've always believed in trying to be as honest and realistic with our users as possible rather than making lots of empty promises.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more positive answer right now, but thank you so much for reminding us that you would find this useful. We do take the number of users who request a feature into consideration when we decide on our feature lists. :)
  • yk7
    yk7
    Community Member
    Another +1 for linux
  • I think it's clear that this is not a priority as the initial request for this is over two years old.

I really like 1password's UI, but the fact is that Lastpass does support a Linux extension and I can import my data from 1password into it. I'll gladly think about coming back if you provide Linux support, but for now I think I'll move on.

Best of luck.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We have the best customers on the planet, and I am reminded of it time after time. You obviously care enough to contact us about this. Thank you for your passion! I wish more folks in this world shared it.

We deeply appreciate customer input and take requests into account constantly. Offhand, I know that we responded to direct customer feedback with regard to the size of the browser extension, updating the legacy Leopard app, the timing of the update checks in the main application, Growl support, and much more.

I may use 1Password in Linux myself if it became available, but we have always preferred to let the software speak for itself rather than trying to lure people in with promises of future features. In fact, I'd never encourage anyone to purchase 1Password (or any product) based on claims of future features. On the contrary, I would advise you and others to always use the tool that meets your needs as best as possible today. If that's not 1Password for you at this time, then we will keep working hard in the hopes that one day it is.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I have passed your vote for this along to the developers and would be happy to pass any additional feedback to them as well.
  • remybach
    remybach
    Community Member

It's such a pity that this thread has been going since 2010 and there's still no Linux support! :(

You definitely have my +1 for a Linux version, although I've gotta agree with Zero2Cool: if you managed to get it to work with just the browser extension, that would already more than fill my needs.

Thanks for the great work on 1Password already guys - Linux really needs to have quality apps, and you guys could really bring a top quality app to the market here (no pressure ;) ).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It would be very nice if we had the resources to develop and maintain a product for Linux. It's possible that we will someday. We certainly have never ruled it out. At the moment, all of our focus is on shipping 1Password 4 for Mac. Thank you for your kind words, encouragement, and feedback on this matter! We really do appreciate it. :)

• b00nb0b
    b00nb0b
    Community Member

I love your product on IOS/Windows, but I really need to use a password manager on my linux workstation. I'm leaving 1password with sadness until you decided to release a full featured linux version.

Bye 1password, hello lastpass. :/

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We're sad to see you go, @b00nb0b. I know 1PasswordAnywhere (which works in any modern browser) and the Windows version of 1Password under WINE work for a lot of folks, but they aren't ideal for every use case. I'll tally a vote on your behalf for native Linux support.

Please let me know if there is anything else you'd like me to share with the developers.

• Mooash
    Mooash
    Community Member

+1 for this. As a sysadmin who uses linux it'd be a great tool to have.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, @Mooash! Vote counted. :D

• jrock2004
    jrock2004
    Community Member

@khad I can understand your statement on resources but I would think getting the browser extention to work would be not that difficult. I mean the plugin will install and if I click it, it asks me for the password. After that it sits there at syncing. My thought would be there that the issue is, its looking for the 1Password.exe file and it is not able to find it. A simple solution would be to have a preference that could allow users to point to the location of the 1password.exe file.

Also I think what could help would be is if the plugins source code could be visibile to allow the Linux community to help resolve a blockage that it seems we have. Thanks

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@jrock2004,

We can't directly access the data file because of web browser sandboxing, the extension can't access files outside the sandbox. We use WebSocket. If the WebSocket server (Agile1pAgent.exe in the Windows version of 1Password) can't create itself, or if WINE doesn't allow that to work then there will be no syncing. It also depends on how WINE creates the WebSocket. If it does allow us to, Even if it's possible that other processes outside of WINE still won't have access. I can't answer that, but my hunch is that it's technically not possible with the current WINE.

It's not quite as easy as you make it sound, but I will certainly let the developers know you are interested in this! :)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with in the meantime.

Cheers!

• Benabik
    Benabik
    Community Member

Can there at least be a way to disable the 1password extension on Linux? Or perhaps more generally on machines where 1password isn't installed.

Because Chrome syncs extensions, I keep getting popups to save my logins in 1password that will never work. (Sadly, Chrome doesn't seem to allow me to disable the extension only on specific machines.)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Benabik, you can disable extension syncing in Chrome's preferences. Or just disable autosave in the extensions Logins settings.

• Benabik
    Benabik
    Community Member

I can't get at the settings in Linux because all I get is a master password prompt. Also, disabling extension syncing because I have one extension I don't want seems like overkill.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@benabik

Sounds like a feature request to make with Chrome. This is the problem with "all or nothing" features like Extension Syncing I think. I get that they want the experience to be the same on all platforms but not everything is so black and white usually.

The other option is to create a second profile that doesn't have 1Password installed. Only issue here is syncing of bookmarks and such will depend on the profile. But, it's another option.

Things may change in version 4 for Windows but I'm not entirely sure how it'll interact with WINE.

• pkkid
    pkkid
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

For what its worth, I got the extension working on Linux using port-forwarding to a second OSX machine running the 1Password software. Everything seems to work great except adding a new entry.

I'm not too sure how secure this is or even if 1Password talks to the server in clear text or not. I only use this on my home internal network. Maybe the Agile team can give some details in this area?

1. Setup 1Password on an OSX and make sure its running.
    2. Make sure you can SSH into the OSX machine from the Linux machine.
    3. Setup Port Forwarding on your Linux machine (see below).
    4. SSH from Linux to OSX using the port-forwarding host you setup. (>> ssh 1password)
    5. Start Chome on Linux and log into the 1Password extension!

Setup Port Forwarding

Open ~/.ssh/config and add a new entry similar to the following. The important part is the LocalForward lines. I got the list of ports here, near the bottom. Change the Host to whatever you want. HostName should be the IP or hostname of a PC running the 1Password application. For me is an OSX machine I use as a server in-house. User is the username to login to the machine via SSH.

Host 1password
      HostName 1.2.3.4
      User=mike
      LocalForward 6544 localhost:6543
      LocalForward 6258 localhost:6258
      LocalForward 10191 localhost:10191
      LocalForward 14821 localhost:14821
      LocalForward 24861 localhost:24861
      LocalForward 25007 localhost:25007
      LocalForward 38151 localhost:38151
      LocalForward 46360 localhost:46360
      LocalForward 49801 localhost:49801
      LocalForward 55730 localhost:55730
      LocalForward 59483 localhost:59483

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni

@pkkid

I'm not too sure how secure this is or even if 1Password talks to the server in clear text or not. I only use this on my home internal network. Maybe the Agile team can give some details in this area?

It's complicated...

Short version: This only works since you have a 1Password 3 extension running in a signed browser on the target machine. The 1Password 3 extension does talk encrypted to the helper so there's nothing really to be concerned about (and you SSH it anyway) but we never tested this scenario. The worst thing that can happen is that the extension and main app gets de-synchronized and you lose your 1Password data.

I'm myself a full-time Linux user and for now I run 1Password in WINE and copy/paste.

• JKBuster
    JKBuster
    Community Member

I'll add my +1 to a linux browser extension for chrome. At home I use Mac, and 1Password does a fantastic job, but at work I'm on a linux machine and I miss my passwords constantly.

• sangeth
    sangeth
    Community Member

I'll add another +1 and I'd gladly pay for a Linux version even after purchasing both the OSX and Windows versions.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JKBuster and @sangeth,

I'll be sure to add your votes to the list :)

• samolang
    samolang
    Community Member

Another +1 for linux. This issue has become a show stopper for me. Going to check out LastPass now.

• demmeln
    demmeln
    Community Member

+1
    This is holding me back from buying 1password and using it for all my devices.

• nzifnab
    nzifnab
    Community Member

I would love this functionality :\ I'm considering looking for an alternative solution, but I really love 1password. I use it on OSX at work, and usually on windows at home. But when I want to do development at home I fire up a VM w/ ubuntu and being able to have a native chrome extension would be really awesome. I guess for now I'll just copy-paste from 1passwordanywhere, but if somehow you could get the chrome extension to just... read from 1passwordanywhere or something... that would be awesome. I don't think that's technically possible though... maybe it is, with the 1pass file on dropbox.

So... +1 for linux chrome support.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @samolang, @demmeln and @nzifnab,

Thanks for adding your votes here, I'll be sure to pass this along to our developers! :)

• nasht00
    nasht00
    Community Member

Pretty old thread -
    +1 for Linux support.
    I am currently not a 1Password customer. I've been looking around for start using password managers and 1Password has the best reviews.
    However, being a true multi-platform user, Linux is a hard requirement for me. And not just workarounds (especially if I am going to pay for it).
    So yes, Linux support please!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nasht00‌,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! It's great to hear what users are looking for in a password solution. While I can't comment further at this time, I'm happy to add your vote to the feature request :)

• fred0
    fred0
    Community Member

+1 to linux support also. I bought the iphone app a few days ago, pretty happy with it. I'll buy for desktop too, as soon as its linux compatible. great software guys, thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fred0,

Thanks so much for the kind words - I'd be happy to tell the developers that you want some 1Password support for Linux too :)

• Mooash
    Mooash
    Community Member

Is there any word on whether this will happen at all? Unfortunately it's making me consider the move to LastPass along with other people I work with :(

This discussion has been closed.