Dropbox Syncing Constantly

Options
timstringer
timstringer
Community Member

I’m currently using 1Password on both my Macs (latest version from Mac App Store on Mac OS 10.9.5) and on my iPhone and iPad, both of which are running iOS 8.0.2. When iOS 8 came out I switched from iCloud to Dropbox syncing in order to be able to share my database across all my devices.

As far as I can tell, the database is syncing across all devices as expected, but I find that the 1Password files on my Macs are syncing pretty much constantly. The sync operation completes and then a new one starts up a few seconds later, even though I haven’t made any changes to 1Password.

Here’s a peek inside 1Password.agile.keychain in case this helps get to the root of the issue. “content.js” is one file that seems to be getting updated regularly for no apparent reason.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/a825b330-b800-4e5c-93a2-46f22eb28e96/75e3cc6e7f8b1d8ef82e4a236c90303d

I've tried disabling and reenabling syncing on both Macs, but the problem persists. The only workaround I've found to date is to pause syncing on one of my Macs. This does the trick, but is a temporary solution at best as I rely on Dropbox to keep my two Macs up to date.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Tim

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Tim ( @timstringer ),

Sorry to hear that Dropbox syncing is aggressively misbehaving like this. We should be able to get it straightened out by more completely resetting the syncing. Here's how:

1. On your iOS devices, disable Dropbox syncing in 1Password: Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Disable Sync

2. On each Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, go to File > Backup and run a backup, just in case.

3. Click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

4. Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

5. Restart your Macs.

6. Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

7. On the Mac with the most current and accurate 1Password data, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain vault.

8. Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

9. On the other Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the new 1Password.agilekeychain vault inside the 1Password folder. 1Password will offer to merge the data for you.

10. On your iOS devices, go to the Sync settings, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the 1Password.agilekeychain inside the 1Password folder. 1Password will offer to merge the data for you.

Please let us know how that goes! :)

• a80099
    a80099
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I have the same issue.... after diddling with it for the last hour+ trying your instructions it started again. I have never used iCloud. Just dropbox. Running current version on all devices.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @a80099,

I'm sorry that a more thorough reset of Dropbox syncing hasn't helped get it to quiet down.

So we can better troubleshoot this, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac where you're noticing the problem, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• a80099
    a80099
    Community Member
    Options

I have emailed a diagnostics report along with a link to this forum discusion. I am now seeing this happen across a couple Macs. Started after updating to current version for me. Appreciate any help. Thank you.

• timstringer
    timstringer
    Community Member
    Options

sjk - I went through the procedure you recommended, but this failed to resolve the issue. The only workaround I've found so far is to quit or pause Dropbox on one of the Macs. A very temporary solution at best.

I'll send a Diagnostics Report from one of my Macs (I'm seeing the same problem one both) and hope to have this resolved very soon.

Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

Sorry this Dropbox syncing issue you're both having still stubbornly refuses to be fixed.

@a80099: I haven't been able to locate your email yet. Please drop me a private message with the address you emailed it from and that'll help me find it. [Edit: Got your PM and found your email; thanks!]

ref: KBB-39998-148

@timstringer: Your email with the report arrived okay; thanks for sending it in. I also spotted the the email you sent earlier and do apologize for the lack of response. We will follow up with you as quickly as possible to get this resolved.

ref: NBZ-65157-549

• chiefted
    chiefted
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Vice the "same here comment" I am syncing between two MacBook Pros (one retina version), both running the released version of Yosemite, and 2 iOS devices, one iPhone 5(c) and one iPad mini, both running iOS 8.1. I only see the "content.js" file update on the MacBook Retina laptop and it is syncing every 5 mins or so. Neither of the other device have the issue. I did try sjk's solution idea but it didn't solve it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chiefted,

Sorry you're also having overactive Dropbox syncing of content.js in an Agile Keychain folder. Getting a Diagnostics Report from you would be helpful so we can email you specific instructions for resolving the problem. See post #4 for details how to do that. Thanks!

• chiefted
    chiefted
    Community Member
    Options

sjk, Diagnostics Report is on its way.

• We've received your Diagnostic Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from our email support team will review it and get back to you as soon as possible. :)

internal reference number: IIP-48222-985

This discussion has been closed.